Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• edited August 2018

#according to my drunk neighbour hovering the drinks after a fine bar b q.

You live next door to David Davis?????
    He's on the other side!
    There was a Polish Doctor who seemed desperate for Poland to leave the EU. From what I could gather, it was a mix of big foreign business coming in and not paying taxes and an 75% increase in immigration of, she claimed, Ukrainians and Indians? Very odd and seemed to be a hostile audience, so I didn't feel able to point out the many benefits of EU membership to Poland, plus the cricket was on indoors.
  • #according to my drunk neighbour hovering the drinks after a fine bar b q.

He's on the other side!
    There was a Polish Doctor who seemed desperate for Poland to leave the EU. From what I could gather, it was a mix of big foreign business coming in and not paying taxes and an 75% increase in immigration of, she claimed, Ukrainians and Indians? Very odd and seemed to be a hostile audience, so I didn't feel able to point out the many benefits of EU membership to Poland, plus the cricket was on indoors.
    She's absolutely right that a load of Ukrainians work in the Polish ( and Czech) health service, as there are shortages, because many local doctors have gone West in pursuit of higher wages. Yes, people like her. She sounds like those Brits living in the Costas who told the BBC without a hint of irony that they were voting out because there were too many immigrants.

• Farage can say and think what he likes. He’ll never be affected by the fallout of a failing economy. He’s taken the “shilling” to be exactly what he is. A lying, creep.

Creep... Twins
  • Hate googling... But when you farage haters get a chance..... Google how much clegg mskes out of brexit.... Or rather dont.... Proper people would never post here again.... Proper people i said.
  • edited August 2018

Farage can say and think what he likes. He’ll never be affected by the fallout of a failing economy. He’s taken the “shilling” to be exactly what he is. A lying, creep.

Neither will remain backers. ..
    Oh do fuck off. Quitters stupidity has already cost me, personally, over £2500. Your "witty" little barbs and childish LOL wind ups are one thing, but this is an utterly stupid thing to say, it's below playground banter. That 16'000'000 people will "never be affected by the fallout of a failing economy" is utter bollocks.
  • #according to my drunk neighbour hovering the drinks after a fine bar b q.

He's on the other side!
    She wants Poland to leave the EU because of an increase in immigration from India and Ukraine? And this woman is an actual doctor?
  • se9addick said:

He's on the other side!
    She wants Poland to leave the EU because of an increase in immigration from India and Ukraine? And this woman is an actual doctor?
    It reminds me of the Lifer who, on another thread, testified to the French health system saving his life ( he used the EU facility to elect to get treatment wherever is most beneficial) and continues to reside there, yet without a hint of irony or self-awareness argued long and hard on here for Brexit ( I.e. preventing other British citizens from accessing similar treatment and residency choices) . When finally responding to the challenge of this hypocrisy he wrote something about the issues being too important to be governed by personal choice - the irony/hypocrisy thus turned up to 11....

There is some kind of pattern here which I haven't quite figured out. It happens a lot to emigrants. Politically they often adopt political stances which are anti - immigrant, and usually very right wing generally. It also seems to me that such people often exhibit an authoritarian rather than liberal mindset, which fits with the overall profile of Brexit voters which one study built up - which cut across the more general young/old, Uni/non Uni, city/small town narrative which conventional polling suggested.

• Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

se9addick said:

He's on the other side!
    It reminds me of the Lifer who, on another thread, testified to the French health system saving his life ( he used the EU facility to elect to get treatment wherever is most beneficial) and continues to reside there, yet without a hint of irony or self-awareness argued long and hard on here for Brexit ( I.e. preventing other British citizens from accessing similar treatment and residency choices) . When finally responding to the challenge of this hypocrisy he wrote something about the issues being too important to be governed by personal choice - the irony/hypocrisy thus turned up to 11....

There is some kind of pattern here which I haven't quite figured out. It happens a lot to emigrants. Politically they often adopt political stances which are anti - immigrant, and usually very right wing generally. It also seems to me that such people often exhibit an authoritarian rather than liberal mindset, which fits with the overall profile of Brexit voters which one study built up - which cut across the more general young/old, Uni/non Uni, city/small town narrative which conventional polling suggested.

Anecdotally, I've heard this from my brother who lived in Thailand for a while... Lots of the expats he spoke to said they moved because "England was full of immigrants". Without, it should be said, a hint of self awareness.

Fortunately, the only poll I've been able to find regarding vote-eligable Brits living abroad is that 72% supported remain, 19% brexit, and 9% didn't know. Probably makes sense if you think about it, although the authoritarian types you mention are probably more visible because they stand out.
    Not intending to out mile and top that, one of my friends emigrated to New Zealand about 25 years ago. I don’t know his views on the EU, (but I wouldn’t be surprised), his views on this country are the predictable “ to many foreigners” while living in a country where his colour can all trace 3 or 4 generations back to the motherland.
  • Colour !!!!!!! Ffs
  • McBobbin said:

se9addick said:

He's on the other side!

Anecdotally, I've heard this from my brother who lived in Thailand for a while... Lots of the expats he spoke to said they moved because "England was full of immigrants". Without, it should be said, a hint of self awareness.

Fortunately, the only poll I've been able to find regarding vote-eligable Brits living abroad is that 72% supported remain, 19% brexit, and 9% didn't know. Probably makes sense if you think about it, although the authoritarian types you mention are probably more visible because they stand out.
    A large number of retired "ex-pats", in my experience, cheat. They maintain a UK address and all the benefits of using the British NHS, voting rights, etc, whilst spending 90% of their time here. Those people that I am acquainted with, to a (wo)man, voted leave. Once couple voted leave, and are now getting their Portuguese residence and S1health cover form to take advantage of the best of both worlds - thanks to the EU they despise. In for a bit of a shock about the S1 if Brexit does happen...
  • Great...... 8 months money over 6 years... If you want to know real facts, this site has just been mailed to me... Facts4eu.org....
  • Great...... 8 months money over 6 years... If you want to know real facts, this site has just been mailed to me... Facts4eu.org....
    Doesn't trust links from the internet, unless mailed to him randomly by a John Redwood backed think-tank.

I think the CL phrase is "beyond parody" lol
    Yosemite sam comes in with both guns blazing as usual without reading or understanding .... I think the CL phrase is, engage brain before opening mouth.
  • Colour !!!!!!! Ffs

Ok, he’s a white bigoted little Englander.
  • Engage brain before opening mouth might be re written as send out a search party in the forlorn hope a brain can actually be found, in the case of some posters on here.
  • seth plum said:

Engage brain before opening mouth might be re written as send out a search party in the forlorn hope a brain can actually be found, in the case of some posters on here.

Perhaps the search party could find that place beyond parody.
    You might get a lift back.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am 'beyond parody'? Is that what you mean?
    You don't have to explain what you mean by that, it can be filed under 'when @A-R-T-H-U-R has run out of arguments to make, he turns to personalised digs' would't you agree?
  • No idea but I read that as personalised wigs.
  • edited August 2018
    No deal impact assessment papers to be released. Including one on financial services. This should make very interesting reading. And shouldn't take long for Farage to start lying about it.

Banking is surprise item on list of Brexit 'no-deal' impact papers

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/21/financial-services-paper-to-be-published-on-no-deal-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
  • edited August 2018
    seth plum said:

I am 'beyond parody'? Is that what you mean?
    You don't have to explain what you mean by that, it can be filed under 'when @A-R-T-H-U-R has run out of arguments to make, he turns to personalised digs' would't you agree?

Perhaps the word "parody" has a different meaning in Little England? :smiley:
  • Yes, top response. Little England. Hilarious.

To help you out
    One day. Ooh calling me silly because I called a whole political party uncaring about education, is a personalized wig and means you've lost an argument.

Next day. People I disagree with don't have a brain.

Hope that's clear for you and your valuable contribution, Algarve.
  • fascinating interactive map whereby a massive 15,000 strong YouGov poll has been integrated with the referendum result so that you can compare by constituency how opinion has changed since then. Had not realised that Eltham had matched the national referendum result almost to the second decimal place. Well, now look...

Shifting sands beneath your feet...
  • edited August 2018
    Actually if you spend a long time clicking through that map it indicates, depressingly, that a second referendum would still be a very close run thing. There are places where the Leave vote has increased. Plus, at 15,000 respondents divided by 632 constituencies that works out at about only 24 people asked per constituency.
  • edited August 2018
    Corbyn thinks the U.K. would be better off outside the EU if Labour was negotiating Brexit! Despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. He truly is a simpleton who thinks all Labour voters are similarly afflicted and seems oblivious to the fact that the vast majority of Labour voters strongly oppose Brexit.
  • Nadou said:

Actually if you spend a long time clicking through that map it indicates, depressingly, that a second referendum would still be a very close run thing. There are places where the Leave vote has increased. Plus, at 15,000 respondents divided by 632 constituencies that works out at about only 24 people asked per constituency.

Both fair points. Nevertheless, the change in Eltham mirrors exactly the change measured by YouGov's tracking research over time ( ie the same question repeated at regular intervals. I agree that right now opinion change is far too small to be regarded as decisive. But every day brings a new exposure to the madness of Brexit, and I would expect the gap to widen between now and Mar 19.

Out of interest do you recall which places showed the Leave vote strengthening?

• Open question. (Posed without any expectation of a straight answer from anyone).

What is the will of the people, given the YouGov polling?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!