Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

seth plum said:

Corbyn calls a vote of no confidence because of May's can kicking.

Yet Kuenssberg said all it can do is embarrass May. It can't bring the government down.
    So what's the point ? (I'm sure there is one).
    Lose this. Call for a second referendum after the deal get votes down?
    The vote that was threatened today if May didn't announce a date for a vote on her WA was of no confidence in May herself not in the government (that comes after she loses the vote on her WA in January).
  • Options
    May is a dreadful PM. But seriously how can people
    have confidence in Corbyn running the country.
    Come back Harold Wilson!
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Come back Harold Wilson!

If you're going back in time - come back Clem Attlee.

• Options

Come back Harold Wilson!

Come back Harold Bishop
  • Options
    Good stuff jez.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Corbyn calls a vote of no confidence because of May's can kicking.

Yet Kuenssberg said all it can do is embarrass May. It can't bring the government down.
    So what's the point ? (I'm sure there is one).
    I think there is actually a genuine point that the WA deal vote should happen before Christmas, not after yet another month.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Come back Harold Wilson!

Cone back King John
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

bobmunro said:

Come back Harold Wilson!

Cone back King John
    Bring back Harold godwinson, marched his troops up and down the country and almost achieved two incredible victories in the space of a couple of weeks
  • Options
    Hang on.. only no confidence in the PM? Thought it was of government.

May won’t resign and her party can’t unseat her for 12 months. Sounds a bit like far too little far too late. But a motion of no confidence in the government could then be forthcoming.
  • Options

Good stuff jez.

Glad he's kind of going for it.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out at May could realistically lose a vote of no confidence to the whole HoC but what would the ramifications of that be as I don't know if a specific motion like this has been tabled before?

They don't even have to grant time for it to be debated, but I think thats the point. If they don't grant time for it it'll make May look even more weak than she already is (if thats possible).

I see it as more of a stepping stone towards a no confidence vote of the whole government.
  • Options

Nicky Morgan speaking in the House telling MP’s that the public can’t be expected to understand why parliament is going on holiday for two weeks with this vote still to come when it could happen this week.

I really think May is now completely delusional and has no grasp on just how damaging and serious the situation actually is.

Morgan was one of the few MPs supporting May’s deal. Is it possible that her deal is actually losing support since last week?
  • Options

Good stuff jez.

Glad he's kind of going for it.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out at May could realistically lose a vote of no confidence to the whole HoC but what would the ramifications of that be as I don't know if a specific motion like this has been tabled before?

They don't even have to grant time for it to be debated, but I think thats the point. If they don't grant time for it it'll make May look even more weak than she already is (if thats possible).

I see it as more of a stepping stone towards a no confidence vote of the whole government.
    Constitutionally this is all very exciting for someone who actually quite likes politics. Sad I know but I find this sort of stuff interesting. So, to get this right in my head as I haven’t seen the news yet, Labour are going for a vote of no confidence in May that they believe they have a shot at, based on her dissenters and it being a minority gvt overall?

I agree there are those in the Tory party that want to see a new Tory leader, but I doubt Tory MPs who join in in a vote of no confidence against their prime minister through external means. What can they gain from it?
  • Options
    “The decision to table a motion of no confidence in May appears to be an attempt at a compromise. The Leader’s Office have been reluctant to go for a no confidence motion in the government as they don’t have the numbers – or the desire to push the Brexit debate along and come under more pressure from its membership to back a ‘People’s Vote’.

It seems the negative reaction to Corbyn’s initial U-turn – not tabling the motion – led the Labour leader to perform a second U-turn and table the motion after all. It looks chaotic but the move could help to placate those Corbyn allies calling on Labour to take more decisive action at a time of Tory turmoil. Given that the motion is non-binding, might not be heard and both the DUP and the Tory Eurosceptics appear to be sticking with May for the time being, it won’t do much else.”

Katy Balls/Spectator
  • Options
    Continued:

“Labour sources now say that if the government does not find time for it tomorrow, they will move to table a formal no confidence motion in the government. That would be much higher stakes. Bearing in mind that Jacob Rees-Mogg today suggested in the Chamber he would back the government in any such vote (and this is the party line for the European Research Group), there’s a chance this backfires and actually helps to unite the Tories around May, even if only briefly. Were that to happen and the vote fail, Corbyn would be shown to be incapable of bringing about an early general election (his preferred Brexit outcome). He would subsequently come under pressure to change Labour’s Brexit policy to back a ‘People’s Vote’ – precisely the situation the Leader’s Office have been trying to avoid.”
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Trying to get my head round everything @stonemuse has been posting... Looks like a load of silly political games and point scoring. Is reasoned debate really too much to ask... That was probably a rhetorical question
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Intere
    McBobbin said:

Trying to get my head round everything @stonemuse has been posting... Looks like a load of silly political games and point scoring. Is reasoned debate really too much to ask... That was probably a rhetorical question

It’s all point scoring and gets us nearer to the date when one of the parties has to support the new referendum.

May trying to push Corbyn over the precipice first and today’s events may lead to that.

My guess... and it’s just an instinct ... is that this will go to mid-January when May will announce that she has listened to the people and ‘reluctantly’ agrees to a second referendum.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Intere

McBobbin said:

It’s all point scoring and gets us nearer to the date when one of the parties has to support the new referendum.

May trying to push Corbyn over the precipice first and today’s events may lead to that.

My guess... and it’s just an instinct ... is that this will go to mid-January when May will announce that she has listened to the people and ‘reluctantly’ agrees to a second referendum.
    Certainly sounds highly plausible. I think both parties know what's best for the country in the short to medium term (remaining. Long term? Too many variables for me to hazard a guess) but want to bodge it up so badly that it becomes all up to the public to sort it out. That way they all keep face and can pretend it never happened.

A referendum vote for a hard brexit would be the cherry on top.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Intere

McBobbin said:

Allows Labour to segway into supporting the second referendum, allowing them to claim they did everything they could to stop a bad deal and this is all that was left. That will enable them to point the finger at May as being the one who stopped Brexit by not doing anything else.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Intere

McBobbin said:

Allows Labour to segway into supporting the second referendum, allowing them to claim they did everything they could to stop a bad deal and this is all that was left. That will enable them to point the finger at May as being the one who stopped Brexit by not doing anything else.
    Possibly ... but as pointed out, the Leaders Office have desperately been trying to avoid this. I still think they will keep it at bay long enough so that May has ‘no choice’ but to announce it.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Intere

McBobbin said:

Possibly ... but as pointed out, the Leaders Office have desperately been trying to avoid this. I still think they will keep it at bay long enough so that May has ‘no choice’ but to announce it.
    I think things are moving so quickly now that what they might have wanted to avoid at dinnertime has become unavoidable at teatime.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Intere

McBobbin said:

I think things are moving so quickly now that what they might have wanted to avoid at dinnertime has become unavoidable at teatime.
    Indeed ... but they have a couple of weeks holiday coming up :smile:
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Intere

McBobbin said:

No Emoji's Stoney it cheapens you.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Intere

McBobbin said:

Would that give maximum linger in the air being embarrassed time? Leaving only an angry silence.
  • Options
    Now if there was a board game called Brexit, what fun I could have on Xmas day.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!