Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• Options
    The video of the collapse is on Cricinfo. It's really, really astonishingly bad batting
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The video of the collapse is on Cricinfo. It's really, really astonishingly bad batting

It is I agree.
    We should give the young bowler some credit though I can see him troubling us for years
  • Options
    Getting Harry Brook for a duck was the big one for Australia. Already made his debut for Yorkshire and had scored 480 runs in this previous 9 innings at an average of 120.
  • Options
    There's probably no better way to show our youngsters what it takes to make it in the game than to make them watch Afghanistan's demolition of New Zealand in the U19 World Cup.

Afghanistan made 309-6 off their 50 overs. This wasn't based on one player scoring 200 (top scorer 69) but four getting 50s including Azmatullah Omarzai who smashed 66 off 23 balls! New Zealand were 107 all out.

This thrashing by Afghanistan wasn't in the sub continent but in NZ's own back yard and they haven't even sent their best U19, Rashid Khan, who is playing in the Big Bash and is the 3rd top bowler in the competition.

The reason for this? Dedication - practice, practice and more practice and little or no distractions. And no pampering either I suspect.

• Options
    I watched that last night. It was incredible to see. Felt like a new cricketing power emerging before my eyes
  • Options
    Also, they'll be quite capable of fielding up to four wrist/mystery spinners in the same XI soon. It will be amazing viewing
  • Options
    Their progress has been amazing, when you consider the turbulent nature of their country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure how you can get hold of it, but there's a pretty decent documentary called Out of the Ashes about the Afghanistan cricket team. It's from 2010
  • Options

There's probably no better way to show our youngsters what it takes to make it in the game than to make them watch Afghanistan's demolition of New Zealand in the U19 World Cup.

Afghanistan made 309-6 off their 50 overs. This wasn't based on one player scoring 200 (top scorer 69) but four getting 50s including Azmatullah Omarzai who smashed 66 off 23 balls! New Zealand were 107 all out.

This thrashing by Afghanistan wasn't in the sub continent but in NZ's own back yard and they haven't even sent their best U19, Rashid Khan, who is playing in the Big Bash and is the 3rd top bowler in the competition.

The reason for this? Dedication - practice, practice and more practice and little or no distractions. And no pampering either I suspect.

Rashid has just had figures of 4-0-20-3 and is now the leading wicket taker in the Big Bash with 17 at a ridiculous economy rate (probably the lowest) of 5.52.

The only thing I am amazed at that he is 19 - he looks about 35 to me!
  • Options
    I hadn't realised Tim Bresnan was playing in the BB as well, the BB teams can't get enough of Pommie players!

He's only 32/33, it's funny how he's completely fallen off the England radar in all forms of the game.

• Options

I hadn't realised Tim Bresnan was playing in the BB as well, the BB teams can't get enough of Pommie players!

He's only 32/33, it's funny how he's completely fallen off the England radar in all forms of the game.

He only recently came in as David Willey's replacement.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Please use the thread below, this one is for cricket.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/80235/big-bash-2017-18
    I posted it here because I was querying why Bresnan has been out of the England fold :smile:

• Options

He only recently came in as David Willey's replacement.

• Options
    Riviera said:

We're talking about international cricketers. In any case, can't you see that the Tweet is from "Test Match Special"!
  • Options
    Bresnan is a decent limited-overs cricketer but he's had lots of injuries and he just doesn't have the pace for England these days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Bresnan is a decent limited-overs cricketer but he's had lots of injuries and he just doesn't have the pace for England these days

Does Sam Curran have the pace? Jake Ball, David Willey?

These days with white ball cricket, nous and variety are more important for seamers than outright pace anyway

• Options

Leuth said:

These days with white ball cricket, nous and variety are more important for seamers than outright pace anyway

Bresnan is a bit of a lumbering giant in the field and has the worst economy rate (9.75) of any of the dozen Scorchers' bowlers bar Adam Vosges who has only bowled two overs because he doesn't really bowl.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Sam certainly has more pace than Bres. He bowls high 80s. He's quicker than Tom and skiddy left arm with good variations.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Sam certainly has more pace than Bres. He bowls high 80s. He's quicker than Tom and skiddy left arm with good variations.
    Low 80s
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Leuth said:

Low 80s
    Mid 80s
  • Options
    Games last season his stock ball was low-mid 80s his quicker one was 87-88.
  • Options

What do you think Canters, still room for improvement speed wise?, or do you think thats his mark?
  • Options

What do you think Canters, still room for improvement speed wise?, or do you think thats his mark?
    It will be hard to hit 90 mph considering his height.
    But a great prospect with a great attitude
  • Options

It will be hard to hit 90 mph considering his height.
    But a great prospect with a great attitude
    But we've already spoken about 'short' quicks B72, Steyn,Marshall sprig to mind - you dont have to be 6 foot plus (although obviously it helps).
  • Options
    Also a good bat too.