Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v MK Dons - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    I had a feeling before the match that we would struggle to get a result today...

But I felt gutted walking away from The Valley. We could and should have had the game wrapped up in the first half.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Comments from Robbie Neilson

https://youtu.be/EQ__PxyNu9I

Can you get this with subtitles?
    I'm sure your being sarcastic but you know you can click the subtitles button on the video? ;)
  • Options
    Was Reeves supposed to be playing up front alongside Magennis? His role seemed very ill-defined today, and he contributed little. And he's so lightweight that he never wins the ball in a tackle. Some sort of rethink is needed if we're to integrate him successfully into this team and make the most of his undoubted talent.

I also wasn't hugely impressed by Marshall. There were a number of occasions, particularly in the second half, when Solly had the ball in the right-back area and was gesturing that Marshall should be trying to run in behind his defender, but he just stood there. And then the one time he did break through he couldn't finish past the keeper. Obviously it's still fairly early days as he comes back from injury, but at the moment Fosu looks like he offers more than him.

One more thing that's struck me this season - we have a very large proportion of left-footed players in Sarr, Marshall, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Dasilva and Reeves. That in itself isn't a problem, but they are all quite one-footed, and it does restrict the potential options in a lot of situations. The same goes for the right-footed players too, so maybe I'm unfair in singling the left-footers out, but I can't help feel slightly frustrated that so many professional footballers (it's not just us, obviously) are so unwilling to use their weaker foot.

I wouldn't say we were particularly bad today, even though we didn't really create the amount of chances we should have done given how much possession we had. Sarr was pretty good for instance, Magennis had a decent game and were it not for what looks a very questionable decision we would have won. Let's hope that today's inability to break down a pretty mediocre team isn't a foretaste of things to come, and that we shake off the disappointment and frustration in time for Rochdale on Tuesday.
  • Options
    To be fair MK were a horrible cynical cheating whinging team with a manager constantly in the officials ear when Robinson was their manager. Must be something in the water up there.
  • Options

I know Robbo said the Shrews can be caught but fair play to them. Down to ten for over 30 mins, surrendered the lead, ended up winning. Maybe they can keep up the pace.

Shrewsbury can definitely be caught - Win our two games in hand and that gap is down to three points (easier said than done)

they're comfortable because they only have to worry about Wigan at the moment which means they'd still get second and automatic promotion, what will they do when more teams are breathing down their neck and they risk losing everything - Still think they'll do a Fleetwood, drop into the Play-Offs and then just run out of steam
    One of the two in hand is against Shrewsbury. Lose that and we're 12 behind. My point really was Robbo saying Shrewsbury can be caught whilst apparently conceding Wigan were the best team in the Division and can't. I don't agree with that at all.
  • Options
    If we were automatic promotion material we would have come through this 3-1 or 4-1. After half time both Marshall and Konsa got 1-on-1 with their goalkeeper and both failed to score. Forster-Caskey also missed on 23 minutes.

We look a good bet for the play-offs at present, but not sure at all we're better than that.

Interesting to see what might happen post-January if the club passes to Australian ownership.

Otherwise: 2 points dropped today.
  • Options

Palarse point not enough
    Spanners did not win
    Aussies really pissed off...

What's this about the Aussies being really pissed off?. Not bad news I hope!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2017
    I enjoyed the match & it was great to be back at the Valley.

Charlton looked good & controlled the game for the first 30 mins. Charlton would have been good value for 2-0 but didn’t convert good positions & pressure into goals. The last 15 mins of the first half was a bit scrappy & disjointed & MK Dons came more into it.

Second half first 15 mins Charlton pushed forward should have been 2-0 up. Marshall could have played the ball round the keeper but opted to shoot & the goalkeeper saved.

MK Dons then made 2 good attacking subs, scored & looked more likely to win. They missed an absolute sitter. To Robinson’s credit, the Fosu sub steadied the ship. Sarr had a great chance at 1-1. It would have been excellent if he scored but he tried to place instead of blasting it. It partially answers the question whether Sarr should play upfront.

Holmes drove things on & Charlton got a slightly fortunate second. It was a great cross though. Then the MK Dons dive from an unnecessary Kashi challenge. Kashi made a few misplaced passes in the game that created danger.

The referee was very poor. MK Dons alongside some tidy passing were a dirty team. They had stronger attacking options on the bench than Charlton.

Charlton can pass the ball & have some quick players. Charlton’s squad is weak though as showed by the bench & lack of depth of quality. That definitely limits Robinson’s tactical options & his ability to respond to changing match situations. Clarke not playing probably didn’t help but if Charlton had stronger attacking options then Charlton would be a reasonable bet for the top 2. It’s a shame as the team is not far off. I enjoyed the game though all in all. It helps not having too much expectation.
  • Options
    Very disappointing outcome to the match, albeit after an OG put us in front.

MKD - nasty little oiks with one plan & one plan only - to knock us off our stride which they managed to do in the 2nd half.

Agree with previous posts that question what Reeves gave the team today ....for me, he was pretty invisible. And with Marshall clearly lacking in full match fitness, we were lightweight to say the least.

Sod's law that our Rickeeee wasn't at his best today either....

But it is the quality of our bench that concerns me the most. No-one on there today who could make a difference and maybe do his bit to help win us the game.

Sadly, Leon Best apart, this is what we have until the window opens & what may ultimately cost us promotion IMHO.

Thank you from the heart of my bottom, Roland.
  • Options
    Strange match

For 60 minutes we were excellent and MKD terrible. Then after they made their changes, they were much improved while we seemed to go to pieces defensively. Lack of protection from midfield, and their strikers kept losing their markers both in the air and on the ground. We definitely missed the experience of Bayer or Pearce in the last 30 today, Konsa in particular made some poor decisions at the end, but Kashi was just as guilty in that respect, he does sometimes dally on the ball too long.

Not impressed with Marshall, surprised Reeves was take off first (he wasn't much better), some very poor finishing, though none of the gilt edged chances fell to our main scores this season, Josh, Holmes or Fosu.

Disappointed with the niggly nature of the MKD today, constantly fouling. 5 bookings and it should have been more.

KAG was a waste of space again, no idea why Aribo can't get on, he can't be any worse.
  • Options
    Felt like the sort of game where Jacko could have made a difference coming on late on. Good in both boxes and a bit of leadership and experience in front of an inexperienced CB pair would have helped..
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Cant score from open play at the moment. We got 2 goals but 1 was from a corner and other an own goal. Need to score more when we are on top.

We seem pretty good at home..play 2 up top, Clarke or Doodoo with big mag behind them with some knock downs and hold up play..may not work obviously but 2 up top would increase our chances I would think and we could use wing play and go through the middle aswell.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Christmas shopping has started :wink:
  • Options
    We miss Bauer and we lack a forward
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Slightly disappointing crowd, considering the relative lack of recent matches
  • Options
    Very observant of you
  • Options

Palarse point not enough
    Spanners did not win
    Aussies really pissed off...

What's this about the Aussies being really pissed off?. Not bad news I hope!!
    Rugby, we thrashed them.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    DRAddick said:

To be fair MK were a horrible cynical cheating whinging team with a manager constantly in the officials ear when Robinson was their manager. Must be something in the water up there.

I wonder how much Neilson bribed the ref just so he could suck the ref's cock. LOL!
  • Options

What a scummy little team MK Dons are.

Please drop the Dons bit - acquired under false pretences.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

I am a referee , I appreciate the task of refs is hard and they get unfair abuse.

As a fan I can tolerate a ref getting a decision wrong , we all do it.
    What I can’t forgive is sheer incompetence.

Make no mistake , this was one of the most backwards , incompetent refs I’ve ever witnessed.

We do need to put our chances away against the weak sides though , this should’ve been an easy easy 3 points.

Pretty unfit as well.
  • Options
    Should have been out of sight long before the end, disappointing to drop points against a very average side.
  • Options
    Incapable of putting sides away when we are on top. Missed Pearce and/or Bauer's experience when we came under pressure. Blackburn creeping up. Best we can hope for is a play off place.