Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Very likely a signing today (Best Signs Until January 27th (pg 11))

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

If we are in a position for promotion push come January, Roland will back the manager in transfer market.

Won’t you Roland?

Stops KR from getting a suitable ‘striker until jan’, which by then Charlton may be outside of the play offs ...
    Charlton not in the play offs means they’re not in a “position to push for promotion” so Roly can get away with not spending in jan (but can sell ‘to cover costs’)

Clever is ol’ uncle Roland! :wink:
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

MrOneLung said:

If we are in a position for promotion push come January, Roland will back the manager in transfer market.

Won’t you Roland?

Stops KR from getting a suitable ‘striker until jan’, which by then Charlton may be outside of the play offs ...
    Charlton not in the play offs means they’re not in a “position to push for promotion” so Roly can get away with not spending in jan (but can sell ‘to cover costs’)

Clever is ol’ uncle Roland! :wink:
    "We need to wait 'til the Summer/January (delete as appropriate) transfers before we can judge"
  • Options

Club wanted short term deal to January, Best wanted to summer.

Both reasonable stances I would say although the delay hasn't helped us.

Seems defeat yesterday has focused some minds and we should see who got what they wanted in next few days.

WIOTOS

You would think with Best being without a club, that signing until end of Jan, would either give his the chance to earn a longer deal (and pick up some wages) or put himself in the shop window (and pick up some wages).
    That assumes no other club is interested in him right now, I am sure his agent could find a few other League 1 clubs who would give him those guaranteed extra months for the entire season.

Not as if under the ownership of RD we will be offering high enough wages that would make the short term deal more attractive if others are offering longer.

Hopefully he still signs as we need the cover/options but I am expecting for it to suddenly pop up sometime next week on the OS of another League 1 club that he has signed for them if he is fit enough to play now.
  • Options

Seems defeat yesterday has focused some minds and we should see who got what they wanted in next few days.

WIOTOS

You would think with Best being without a club, that signing until end of Jan, would either give his the chance to earn a longer deal (and pick up some wages) or put himself in the shop window (and pick up some wages).
    That assumes no other club is interested in him right now, I am sure his agent could find a few other League 1 clubs who would give him those guaranteed extra months for the entire season.

Not as if under the ownership of RD we will be offering high enough wages that would make the short term deal more attractive if others are offering longer.

Hopefully he still signs as we need the cover/options but I am expecting for it to suddenly pop up sometime next week on the OS of another League 1 club that he has signed for them if he is fit enough to play now.
    Not the first player this season who we have help get fit and then signs for another team
  • Options

I know I’m clutching at straws but KR seemed to suggest he was interested in Best signing.

Could the delay be because of The Takeover that is/isn’t happening?

I’m not going back over this thread, so if someone’s already made this potential connection, I’m just reiterating it.

Robinson said after Tuesday that they were looking at the academy to see if anyone there could step up. Sounded like Best wasn't imminent to me.
    Also sounds like Roly said 'i'm not spending any more on wages'.

Surely Robinson doesn't have to look at the academy to see if there's anyone who could step up. If a name doesn't immediately spring to mind, then it's highly likely no one is ready.
    If you were in the process of selling a house, you would not make improvements to it
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

I know I’m clutching at straws but KR seemed to suggest he was interested in Best signing.

I’m not going back over this thread, so if someone’s already made this potential connection, I’m just reiterating it.

Robinson said after Tuesday that they were looking at the academy to see if anyone there could step up. Sounded like Best wasn't imminent to me.

Surely Robinson doesn't have to look at the academy to see if there's anyone who could step up. If a name doesn't immediately spring to mind, then it's highly likely no one is ready.
    If you were in the process of selling a house, you would not make improvements to it
    I am desperate to believe that is the reason.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

You should if there is an obvious problem with it and you can not sell it until it is put right
  • Options
    ross1 said:

shirty5 said:

You should if there is an obvious problem with it and you can not sell it until it is put right
    Not if you have agreed a fee
  • Options
    edited November 2017
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:

ross1 said:

shirty5 said:

Only if the fee is lower than you would expect if everything was OK
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

ross1 said:

shirty5 said:

If you've exchanged contracts and a problem arises you're required to fix it.
  • Options
    If your house has damp, then you should not piss up the wall :smile:
  • Options

If your house has damp, then you should not piss up the wall :smile:

So if it is not damp it is OK to piss up the wall? Wouldn't that make it stink of vinegar?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

that's all

six days ago.
  • Options
    It's official

He isn't signing today
  • Options

It's official

He isn't signing today

Told you
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Heard last night that a fellow Charlton fan had a brief chat with Ajose this month. When asked if he would be coming back to Charlton, the answer was

This January

First Watt now Ajose on strikers we cannot get rid of. What is it with us with bringing in players with seemingly suspect attitudes?
  • Options

WIOTOS

Very true.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Or patching up dodgy workmanship you're only going to spend the minimum requireme t?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2017

shirty5 said:

Heard last night that a fellow Charlton fan had a brief chat with Ajose this month. When asked if he would be coming back to Charlton, the answer was

This January

First Watt now Ajose on strikers we cannot get rid of. What is it with us with bringing in players with seemingly suspect attitudes?
    They're cheaper, the idea is that you can be the club that turns their attitude around and gets the best out of the them...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

shirty5 said:

This January

They're cheaper, the idea is that you can be the club that turns their attitude around and gets the best out of the them...
    Didn't Ajose cost £800k?
  • Options
    RHF playing for the U23's today.

Could Best sign in time to be on the bench tomorrow?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Scoham said:

shirty5 said:

This January

Didn't Ajose cost £800k?
    Relatively cheap for a striker. Godden was linked with us and fees of £1.5-2m were talked about. We paid more for Varney and McLeod who were scoring at this level and that was 10 years ago with less money in the game.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

more likely Anderson who is missing for the U-23's today

• Options

Richard J said:

more likely Anderson who is missing for the U-23's today

Anderson went off injured v Millwall and Reeco subbed on 60 mins according to the match thread so looks like Reeco to the rescue.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

shirty5 said:

This January

Didn't Ajose cost £800k?
    Relatively cheap for a striker. Godden was linked with us and fees of £1.5-2m were talked about. We paid more for Varney and McLeod who were scoring at this level and that was 10 years ago with less money in the game.
    Varney and McLeod were signed at Championship level with the benefit of £11m parachute payments and in the context of large transfer receipts. So not really of much relevance to Ajose, I suggest.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

shirty5 said:

This January

Didn't Ajose cost £800k?
    Varney and McLeod were signed at Championship level with the benefit of £11m parachute payments and in the context of large transfer receipts. So not really of much relevance to Ajose, I suggest.
    Agreed

£800k for Ajose is decent money for L1. Indeed, amongst all the failings of the RD era, the worst has been the money wasted on poor acquisitions, players who don't fit into the system a coach wants to play, or who can't settle into English league football.
  • Options
    ironically Ajose was (is) British, playing at this level, had scored lots of goals the season before and could play in a 442.

He just wasn't very good
  • Options
    Still feel Ajose could have been a decent player for us at this level if we played a system that suited him better but maybe that is just wishful thinking looking at all those goals he scored for a weaker then us Swindon side, something about Swindon just worked for him, as he would not be the first play to excel at one club but fail at others.