Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 January Transfer Window Rumours Thread (DEADLINE DAY from Page 56)

Comments

• Options

ct_addick said:

Davo55 said:

KR's comments from the OS. To be fair, I think both he and Richard Murray have done well.

Charlton Athletic manager Karl Robinson said he was “ecstatic” with the club’s January transfer window.

Speaking before leaving The Valley tonight, he spoke to cafc.co.uk about the club’s signings and his delight at keeping hold of Ezri Konsa.

On the transfer window

"We’re really happy, we’ve got a lot of our young players out on loan playing, we’ve kept our players who are integral to our starting lineup. We’ve brought in three top loans. This is my third transfer window and the money we’ve spent has been very, very minimal. It’s been hard but we’re in a good place and hopefully people appreciate that we’re all working around the clock to achieve what we want to achieve for this football club.

"It’s been a good window. We haven’t spent as much money as some of the other clubs around us but we’ve been very smart and very cute in what we’ve tried to do. We feel we’ve added to the squad. We’ve kept the door locked even though there was a number of people banging on it trying to offer for some of our players. The stance of the football club was that Ezri Konsa would be available at a price. We got offered a number of different deals, it didn’t meet our expectation so everyone was happy for him to stay, none more than me."

On Ezri Konsa

“The young man has been exceptional in the last few weeks, it just shows you that he is destined for the top level, you see that because of the clubs that have contacted us but it also shows our intent that we believe that we’ll stand firm, it’s not like we need to take the money. He’s still here and he’ll be wearing our shirt on Saturday.”

On the loan signings

“They have been excellent. Obviously Stephy is someone that knows the building, he was done right at the start of the window. It seems like a year ago now, it’s only a month, he’s made an immediate impact. Sullay has trained unbelievably this week, I’m really excited about watching him play and Michal is powerful and quick and gives us a different dimension for what we are trying to achieve. We had a bid today for one of our strikers, I won’t say who but unless we’re in a position to bring somebody in, we’re not going to do anything. The football club have turned down a number of different things over the last 48 hours, I’m very thankful for that, for everyone involved who has stood by our principles.

On keeping key players

“We’ve managed to keep our assets and we believe we’ve brought in some very good loan players. Did we want to going and spend money on one or two players? Yeah, but you can’t have everything can you but I’ve stood here many different times disappointed through missing out on a deal. I’m stood here today ecstatic that we’ve turned deals down and that puts us in a very, very good place and I am very happy and that’s very rare that you get a manager saying that today and it’s a good place to be.”

On the current squad

“The players have been excellent Monday and Tuesday this week, off the back of a disappointing weekend not being able to play. Today has been a very busy one. I don’t feel great, I’ve had a cold for 24 hours but certainly tonight I’m over the moon that we’ve managed to keep what I believe is the future of maybe playing at the top level of our game. You’ve got other assets as well. It doesn’t take a genius to understand the likes of Tariqe – who is an exceptional talent. You’ve got a lot of other players there, Joe Aribo, Jake Forster-Caskey, some top, top players here that are assets, Anfernee Dijksteel as well. Karlan on loan, to develop him is an asset. Always at a football club you’ve got to have that production line in place.

I wonder what striker the offer was for?
    Leeds reportedly enquired about Fosu.
    Was that genuine interest as came from the dubious twitter account mentioned earlier in the day
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Southbank said:

Davo55 said:

KR's comments from the OS. To be fair, I think both he and Richard Murray have done well.

Charlton Athletic manager Karl Robinson said he was “ecstatic” with the club’s January transfer window.

Speaking before leaving The Valley tonight, he spoke to cafc.co.uk about the club’s signings and his delight at keeping hold of Ezri Konsa.

On the transfer window

"We’re really happy, we’ve got a lot of our young players out on loan playing, we’ve kept our players who are integral to our starting lineup. We’ve brought in three top loans. This is my third transfer window and the money we’ve spent has been very, very minimal. It’s been hard but we’re in a good place and hopefully people appreciate that we’re all working around the clock to achieve what we want to achieve for this football club.

"It’s been a good window. We haven’t spent as much money as some of the other clubs around us but we’ve been very smart and very cute in what we’ve tried to do. We feel we’ve added to the squad. We’ve kept the door locked even though there was a number of people banging on it trying to offer for some of our players. The stance of the football club was that Ezri Konsa would be available at a price. We got offered a number of different deals, it didn’t meet our expectation so everyone was happy for him to stay, none more than me."

On Ezri Konsa

“The young man has been exceptional in the last few weeks, it just shows you that he is destined for the top level, you see that because of the clubs that have contacted us but it also shows our intent that we believe that we’ll stand firm, it’s not like we need to take the money. He’s still here and he’ll be wearing our shirt on Saturday.”

On the loan signings

“They have been excellent. Obviously Stephy is someone that knows the building, he was done right at the start of the window. It seems like a year ago now, it’s only a month, he’s made an immediate impact. Sullay has trained unbelievably this week, I’m really excited about watching him play and Michal is powerful and quick and gives us a different dimension for what we are trying to achieve. We had a bid today for one of our strikers, I won’t say who but unless we’re in a position to bring somebody in, we’re not going to do anything. The football club have turned down a number of different things over the last 48 hours, I’m very thankful for that, for everyone involved who has stood by our principles.

On keeping key players

“We’ve managed to keep our assets and we believe we’ve brought in some very good loan players. Did we want to going and spend money on one or two players? Yeah, but you can’t have everything can you but I’ve stood here many different times disappointed through missing out on a deal. I’m stood here today ecstatic that we’ve turned deals down and that puts us in a very, very good place and I am very happy and that’s very rare that you get a manager saying that today and it’s a good place to be.”

On the current squad

“The players have been excellent Monday and Tuesday this week, off the back of a disappointing weekend not being able to play. Today has been a very busy one. I don’t feel great, I’ve had a cold for 24 hours but certainly tonight I’m over the moon that we’ve managed to keep what I believe is the future of maybe playing at the top level of our game. You’ve got other assets as well. It doesn’t take a genius to understand the likes of Tariqe – who is an exceptional talent. You’ve got a lot of other players there, Joe Aribo, Jake Forster-Caskey, some top, top players here that are assets, Anfernee Dijksteel as well. Karlan on loan, to develop him is an asset. Always at a football club you’ve got to have that production line in place.

Not a bad window but are we just pretending we didn't sell our best player?
    Holmes stopped being our best player long before he left.
    Yeah you're right, rubbish wasn't he.
    He was not rubbish, but he was not playing as well as he had been and whilst he possess some very good attributes, in particular his direct attacking play, effort, and good close control, he did have his faults.

The main ones for me are that he did not have the vision and ability to make a great pass and seemed to lack the awareness as to the availability of other team mates on the pitch. This at times meant loss of opportunity, the slowing down of an attack or losses possession.

Would he be in my squad? Most certainly, as his qualities outweigh his shortcomings. If he did not have these shortcomings - we would never have been able to afford him in the first place.

Was he our best player? At times. But in midfield I would rate Fosu and Aribo higher as I believe they have equally good ball skills but are better all round players.

Just my opinion.

Each to their own, I find it hard to believe that anyone would genuinely think that Ricky Holmes wasn't our best player at the time he was sold (form has picked up since then).
  • Options
    Good transfer window that, astonished Konsa is still here, mind you glad that he is, strikers aplenty, if we start scoring more goals we will be in top 6, simple as that.
  • Options
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15913116.Charlton_turned_down_interest_in_Fosu_and_Magennis_on_transfer_deadline_day_via_emails_with_Roland_Duchatelet/?ref=mr&lp=5

It's interesting that emails were going back and forth to Roland last night concerning bids for Mogennis and Fosu
    Robinson and head of recruitment Steven Gallen were communicating with owner Roland Duchatelet via email last night.

The Belgian had the final say on who came and who left.

Robinson added: “I spoke to Roland with Steve Gallen via email more than I’ve ever spoken to him. Richard Murray was fighting on the Charlton side of it.

“The lads were in there when we were receiving emails and the emails were very clear and very precise, ‘no, he stays’ or one of them was ‘what do you want to do?’ and I said I wanted to keep them. That was it.”
  • Options
    edited February 2018

se9addick said:

Redrobo said:

Southbank said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

He was not rubbish, but he was not playing as well as he had been and whilst he possess some very good attributes, in particular his direct attacking play, effort, and good close control, he did have his faults.

The main ones for me are that he did not have the vision and ability to make a great pass and seemed to lack the awareness as to the availability of other team mates on the pitch. This at times meant loss of opportunity, the slowing down of an attack or losses possession.

Would he be in my squad? Most certainly, as his qualities outweigh his shortcomings. If he did not have these shortcomings - we would never have been able to afford him in the first place.

Was he our best player? At times. But in midfield I would rate Fosu and Aribo higher as I believe they have equally good ball skills but are better all round players.

Just my opinion.

Each to their own, I find it hard to believe that anyone would genuinely think that Ricky Holmes wasn't our best player at the time he was sold (form has picked up since then).
    No way was Holmes our best performing player at the point in time when HE WAS SOLD.

Holmes had been average at best for a few months, after previously being excellent and without doubt our best player.

Whether this was due to his bruised foot earlier in the season, knowing Sheff U would come back in for him or whatever reason, I don't know.

But I do know in the last few months he continually ran into cul de sacs, he couldn't make a decent cross, take a decent corner and stopped scoring from free kicks.

I loved Ricky but most fans saw he was completely off form.
    Still the best player this season as voted for by fellow lifers up to his last game v Oldham on the 6th January.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/80491/statbank-charlton-1-0-oldham#latest
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    shirty5 said:

se9addick said:

Redrobo said:

Southbank said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

Just my opinion.

No way was Holmes our best performing player at the point in time when HE WAS SOLD.

Holmes had been average at best for a few months, after previously being excellent and without doubt our best player.

Whether this was due to his bruised foot earlier in the season, knowing Sheff U would come back in for him or whatever reason, I don't know.

But I do know in the last few months he continually ran into cul de sacs, he couldn't make a decent cross, take a decent corner and stopped scoring from free kicks.

Still the best player this season as voted for by fellow lifers up to his last game v Oldham on the 6th January.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/80491/statbank-charlton-1-0-oldham#latest
    Thanks Shirty. Confirms what I said. Last season Holmes was MOM on many occasions and if he wasn't MOM he was pretty close.

In the stats you've linked v Oldham he was 7th best !

I looked up the previous game v Gillingham and he was 5th best !

I'll admit I looked at one further game v Southend and he was MOM, so the average in those 3 games = 4th best.

Like I said, I loved Ricky and wanted him to stay but he hadn't performed anywhere near his best for a good few months.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Redrobo said:

Southbank said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

Just my opinion.

Ah right - I think we're talking about different things. You're saying Ricky Holmes wasn't the most in form player, I agree with that. I'm saying that he was our best player (even if he wasn't playing at top form).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From Robinsons quote yesterday, does anyone know the ‘we got a lot of young players out on loan’ are? Archie Edwards, Karlan who else?
  • Options
    edited February 2018

se9addick said:

Redrobo said:

Southbank said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

Just my opinion.

Agreed, he'd hit a dip in form, nothing more. And I don't necessarily think it was because he wanted away, he was playing a team with far fewer attacking threats than earlier in the season and that absolutely compounded some of his weaknesses and let teams double up on him. I think he'd look better with Fosu and Mav in the team if he were still with us.

All things being equal I have JFC, Kashi, and Fosu above him, as mentioned earlier in the thread. That would have been true in, say, September, not just with hindsight. I've never rated Ricky quite as highly as some, but that's not to say Ricky is not a great player at this level and that he wasn't a great player for this club. Just ad I can't at all fault him his move, I will always have fond memories of him, including some absolute crackers.
  • Options

se9addick said:

Redrobo said:

Southbank said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

Just my opinion.

This. I "liked" the other post saying much the same thing. He was a good player but his form had dipped, along with Magennis, and the things we could previously rely on him doing he was just not producing any more. Shame to see him leave but we move on. With Fosu & Mavididi we have ready made players in that position.
  • Options

From Robinsons quote yesterday, does anyone know the ‘we got a lot of young players out on loan’ are? Archie Edwards, Karlan who else?

That's it i think but expect Reeco to go out to a National League side.
  • Options

Cheers, I mistook the word ‘loads’ should know better :-)
  • Options

ct_addick said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

I thought I saw that, cheers for confirming. The "striker" was Magennis, the club was Bolton as confirmed by Large.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Redrobo said:

Southbank said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

Just my opinion.

Ah right - I think we're talking about different things. You're saying Ricky Holmes wasn't the most in form player, I agree with that. I'm saying that he was our best player (even if he wasn't playing at top form).
    On that basis we could say Ben Reeves is our best player :wink:
  • Options

Charles-Cooke ?
  • Options
    Beeney?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

ct_addick said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

I thought I saw that, cheers for confirming. The "striker" was Magennis, the club was Bolton as confirmed by Large.
    Just seen an interview on Sky with Phil Parkinson (they are showing Bolton v Bristol City tomorrow night) where he talks about Madine leaving, Seems a bit pissed off that he left without getting a replacement & says it was the chairmans decision even though that would leave them short upfront. I reckon we could have got a good sum for Magennis if we had wanted to, but can see why KR didn't want to let him go, although if we had got Doyle in instead of him going back to Oldham then it would have been a good bit of business imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

ct_addick said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

Just seen an interview on Sky with Phil Parkinson (they are showing Bolton v Bristol City tomorrow night) where he talks about Madine leaving, Seems a bit pissed off that he left without getting a replacement & says it was the chairmans decision even though that would leave them short upfront. I reckon we could have got a good sum for Magennis if we had wanted to, but can see why KR didn't want to let him go, although if we had got Doyle in instead of him going back to Oldham then it would have been a good bit of business imo
    Again, even if we go 10 Million for Magennis it would never be good business, we wouldn't see a penny of it.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

ct_addick said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

You can't just force someone under contract off the cuff to go and live in Bolton (or anywhere)
    He's got a family.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

ct_addick said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

You can't just force someone under contract off the cuff to go and live in Bolton (or anywhere)
    He's got a family.
    But if they were giving 20K per week for their fourth choice goalkeeper, think how much their striker could have earnt.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Considering KR has probably only spent around 400k in transfer fees in the 3 windows he has been here, the squad, team spirit and the fact we have a genuine chance at a play off spot despite the off field uncertainty, him and his coaching team deserve to be commended.

A great point chef. And in that time we've sold/let go Holmes, Tex, Ceballos, Novak, Crofts, Lookman, Ajose, Watt. There is a lot of saved money in wages and obviously the Lookman and Holmes fees. If nothing else, Karl's transfer activity has been very good.
    We are still contributing to some of those players
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

SDAddick said:

Considering KR has probably only spent around 400k in transfer fees in the 3 windows he has been here, the squad, team spirit and the fact we have a genuine chance at a play off spot despite the off field uncertainty, him and his coaching team deserve to be commended.

A great point chef. And in that time we've sold/let go Holmes, Tex, Ceballos, Novak, Crofts, Lookman, Ajose, Watt. There is a lot of saved money in wages and obviously the Lookman and Holmes fees. If nothing else, Karl's transfer activity has been very good.
    Which one of those isn't sold outright? except Ajose? His wages WERE Bury's problem until a couple of days ago. CAFC aren't contributing to any of the rest.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Redhenry said:

SDAddick said:

Which one of those isn't sold outright? except Ajose? His wages WERE Bury's problem until a couple of days ago. CAFC aren't contributing to any of the rest.
    Igor is the other one I'd guess. Or I'd hope anyway, given as you say the rest are no longer affiliated with us. I guess we could still be paying off their contracts in installments though.

I didn't list Igor because we was out on loan and remains out on loan. From a playing squad perspective there's no change, and from a balance sheet perspective I guess it depends on how much we're subsidizing.

And we were apparently subsidizing Ajose's wages at Bury to some degree.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Dazzler21 said:

ct_addick said:

Davo55 said:

On the transfer window

On Ezri Konsa

On the loan signings

On keeping key players

On the current squad

But Doyle can't play until March. And even then I think he can only start full contract training in March so we'd be without him for half of the rest of the season.

Whatever we could get for Magennis is nowhere near as valuable as getting promoted. I'm also in the pro-Magennis camp and I think he has a lot to offer, and leaving ourselves short up front because of an opportunity to save/make money is exactly what we did in August and everyone, rightly, complained.
  • Options
    Is #onegoal all we score per game!
  • Options

Not a terrible window, better than initially anticipated with Holmes going...

Re: Ajose, i might be the minority but he could be useful if we decide to change the formation and go 442 fora game or switch during a game, obviously unlikely but still he will get more goals then Magdennis although wont get the all round game(kind of lol) so would only work with two up top. Probably wont get a game though Robbo doesn't fancy him

In the last minute?