Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cryptos

Comments

• Options
    reserves said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Anyone else think that we're due for a double-horse shortly?

The Asian market can't sustain anything less than a pink parachute, surely?

I'll probably hold out until 14.6 or less. 

What about you? 
    Not sure about the double horse and think we could be on for a yellow parachute if the North American barrel comes through.
    I deep-fished on Digicent earlier this year and it has helicoptered (both ways) ever since.  It would be nice to rattle a few tambourines with that one. 

You guys are just winding us up now right?
    yes, but as i said - just see it as a bottom signal :)
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Anyone else think that we're due for a double-horse shortly?

The Asian market can't sustain anything less than a pink parachute, surely?

I'll probably hold out until 14.6 or less. 

What about you? 
    Not sure about the double horse and think we could be on for a yellow parachute if the North American barrel comes through.
    Oh, wouldn't that be good!

I deep-fished on Digicent earlier this year and it has helicoptered (both ways) ever since.  It would be nice to rattle a few tambourines with that one. 
    A lot of novice investors went deep fishing on Digicent and didn't take into account the helicoptering that was inevitably going to happen. I preferred the parallel Bicent market where I shorted before the inevitable double coned torpedo took place.

Been rattling plenty of tambourines...
  • Options
    Another bottom signal - Normies mocking people on this thread. 
    Theyl be back on the investment thread soon, celebrating a £25 win on the premium bonds. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Theyl be back on the investment thread soon, celebrating a £25 win on the premium bonds. 
    “Hey at least my investments aren’t wrecking the environment” whilst unironically investing in just about any non carbon neutral company. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    So, let me just check ... one of your signals is when 'normies' (I will assume that is someone who has no idea about Bitcoin markets) start to make disparaging comments ... about something which, by definition, they know nothing about?

This 'investment' field is even more flaky than I thought.

Not to worry.  I've been told that we're in a full Blue Lagoon this week.  I for one will be trying on a new flat cap on the strength of that.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:
    So, let me just check ... one of your signals is when 'normies' (I will assume that is someone who has no idea about Bitcoin markets) start to make disparaging comments ... about something which, by definition, they know nothing about?

Not to worry.  I've been told that we're in a full Blue Lagoon this week.  I for one will be trying on a new flat cap on the strength of that.
    i mean, firstly, it's a joke, secondly, yes it's as stupid as some one coming on the savings and investments thread and saying the whole stock market is a ponzi. 

What we're talking about is technical analysis

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/technicalanalysis.asp

Which is just as applicable to the legacy stock market as crypto.

You can easily google the terms we talk about. I also try and explain what the fuck i'm talking about sometimes.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

i mean, firstly, it's a joke, secondly, yes it's as stupid as some one coming on the savings and investments thread and saying the whole stock market is a ponzi. 

You can easily google the terms we talk about. I also try and explain what the fuck i'm talking about sometimes.
    'Legacy stock market' ?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

'Legacy stock market' ?
    essentially the stock market! Crypto twitter has made me call it legacy markets...
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

'Legacy stock market' ?
    essentially the stock market! Crypto twitter has made me call it legacy markets...
    The overuse of jargon just makes things sound ridiculous.
  • Options
    Just read the Binance thing is to do with a company Binance were trying to set up in the uk - apparently their permission to operate has been revoked. But retail customers can still use Binance all the same. So… nothing changes.
    Didn't Denmark freeze all assets on Binance for the same thing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

I've done a bit of data analysis in my time, and here's one of the things that I have learned:

There is uncertainty associated with any extrapolation or prediction.  That uncertainty increases when the data is 'noisy'.

When you have a volatile market like Cryptos, I submit that there is a great deal of 'noise' in the data.

So, your predictions/extrapolations are a bit like using DRS with an out-of-focus camera.

I wish you 'good luck' with it all, though.  And 'thanks' for the education.

Now ... where did I put that flat cap?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

I've done a bit of data analysis in my time, and here's one of the things that I have learned:

There is uncertainty associated with any extrapolation or prediction.  That uncertainty increases when the data is 'noisy'.

When you have a volatile market like Cryptos, I submit that there is a great deal of 'noise' in the data.

So, your predictions/extrapolations are a bit like using DRS with an out-of-focus camera.

So you admit to knowing nothing about the subject, but post on here as if you're some kind of expert. 

Why post on this thread if you think it's ridiculous? There are clearly a few of us on here who take an interest in it - you're literally just posting so you could put your own opinion over other people's. It's, frankly, bizarre.

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

'Legacy stock market' ?
    It's almost as if the subject of this thread is something particularly niche and naturally geeky. Who fucking knew?!
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

'Legacy stock market' ?
    It's almost as if the subject of this thread is something particularly niche and naturally geeky. Who fucking knew?!
    You really are one stressed individual.
  • Options
    Would it be off-topic to ask what people had for lunch? 🤭
  • Options
    Caviar and champagne followed by a Mars Bar.
  • Options
    Caviar and champagne followed by a Mars Bar.

and to drink?
    Um Bongo.

Posh man little britain - YouTube

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

'Legacy stock market' ?
    You really are one stressed individual.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WN86qywLVY
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    brb gonna post on the horse racing thread about how there's no way they can predict which horse will win since i owned a cat and they were notoriously difficult to predict, and considering horses and cats are both mammals, what's the difference, right?

I'll be sure to let them know such terms as "furlong" and "each way" are ridiculous terms that deserve my mockery.
  • Options
    Back on subject - ethereum seems to be out performing bitcoin again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

So you admit to knowing nothing about the subject, but post on here as if you're some kind of expert. 

Why post on this thread if you think it's ridiculous? There are clearly a few of us on here who take an interest in it - you're literally just posting so you could put your own opinion over other people's. It's, frankly, bizarre.

I freely admit to knowing nothing about cryptos ... and if you felt that my posts conveyed some kind of expertise ... well, that's says it all really.

I do know about data analysis though.

Why post on this thread if I think it's ridiculous?

Two reasons:

1) Because I have a thirst for knowledge and am interested in understanding things that I don't know about
    2) Because this thread IS ridiculous

Now ... about those racing tips?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    shine166 said:

I freely admit to knowing nothing about cryptos ... and if you felt that my posts conveyed some kind of expertise ... well, that's says it all really.

I do know about data analysis though.

Why post on this thread if I think it's ridiculous?

Two reasons:

1) Because I have a thirst for knowledge and am interested in understanding things that I don't know about
    2) Because this thread IS ridiculous

Now ... about those racing tips?
    Yes it does - about your arrogance. 

If you were actually interested, you wouldn't mock - source: possessing social skills.

My point is, you've come on a thread about a niche interest trying to mock the discussion and seem perplexed about the reaction. Well, that says it all really, doesn't it?
  • Options
    @kentaddick

Do you make money out of these things?

Does everyone?  I assume that there are winners and losers.

Or do we only ever hear from the winners?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    @kentaddick

Erm I'm having an absolute howler with pretty much everything I've bought. But I'm hodling so let's see where I am in 5 years. Collectively down around £2000 at present. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    @kentaddick

For everyone that makes a pound, there is someone who loses a pound.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    @kentaddick

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    @kentaddick

Erm I'm having an absolute howler with pretty much everything I've bought. But I'm hodling so let's see where I am in 5 years. Collectively down around £2000 at present. 
    I’m the same.  I knew the risks, I accept the fact I am down.  If I can accept all the good feeling of when it was up at $64k, then I have to accept it being back down at $30k odd.  Have learnt lessons, and as soon as I see profit again - I hope ;-), then I will take more profit out than I did before

• Options
    Re-title please, Mods ... The Thread That Keeps On Giving.

To the experts ... as a general principle, if you play in a volatile market, isn't the best strategy to monitor things like a hawk and get in and out quickly when things are in your favour?

If someone hands you a box of frogs, you don't want to be holding it for too long.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

To the experts ... as a general principle, if you play in a volatile market, isn't the best strategy to monitor things like a hawk and get in and out quickly when things are in your favour?

If someone hands you a box of frogs, you don't want to be holding it for too long.
    Nobody who’s held bitcoin for more than 200 weeks has ever lost money on it.

kentaddick said:
    cabbles said:
    Greener days for a lot of the alts, but boy do I need to see more ground being made up before I return to the green :-) 
    Same, I'm still 30% down on my ZIL.

'sad face*

I'm still £1400 down on Bitcoin. Come on Elon, say something nice. 
    The others I've more or less given up on. 

but hey, don’t let that stop you from trolling.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Nobody who’s held bitcoin for more than 200 weeks has ever lost money on it.

kentaddick said:
    cabbles said:
    Greener days for a lot of the alts, but boy do I need to see more ground being made up before I return to the green :-) 
    Same, I'm still 30% down on my ZIL.

'sad face*

I'm still £1400 down on Bitcoin. Come on Elon, say something nice. 
    The others I've more or less given up on. 

but hey, don’t let that stop you from trolling.
    So, that's Bitcoin.  How about all the others?

I'd hate to accuse you of data selection.

Not trolling, by the way.  Just a genuine attempt to understand all this.

Also, why are there several cryptocurrencies?  What do the others bring that Bitcoin (the one apparent success) doesn't?