Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cryptos

Comments

• Options
    The manager thread.
    The rumours thread.
    The HoC threads.
    The Sandgaard threads.

And now this one 😂 is there anywhere bicker free at present?
    U wot m8?
  • Options
    Thank god its only crypto that loses value and not 'real' money. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Thank god its only crypto that loses value and not 'real' money. 
    who would put anything into such volatile assets 

• Options
    Basic question - I've never dabbled in crypto but is it a good time to start?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Personally I’d say yes, as long as you’re happy to wait a little while to realise any decent profits. 
  • Options
    Would you rather have your house valued in "real" money or bitcoin?
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Would you rather have your house valued in "real" money or bitcoin?
    in 2 years, bitcoin. Now? Fiat.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:
    be prepared for your investment to go down 50% from now before it goes up 100%. "Invest" in big caps, like bitcoin and ethereum. Other alt coins may and will die. The time to buy alt coins is when bitcoin is on a bull run.
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/13/cryptocurrencies-collapsing-happens-next/

This is an article from a newspaper.

Amongst other things it says:

Cryptocurrency has been compared to digital gold, a way to avoid inflation, and a criminal’s best friend. Day to day, however, it runs on confidence. The values of Bitcoin and other coins is as much a factor of investors’ belief as any technical consideration.

'Running on confidence' sounds similar to a belief in a deity. Religion is a powerful force that grips avid believers, even to the outer fringes of Jonestown or Waco. People have so much confidence in some religions that are prepared to give up their lives for it.
    Some others say that confidence that a god exists is like believing in fairies.

Another thing the article says is:

UST is a so-called algorithmic stablecoin. A stablecoin, unlike a cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin that fluctuates wildly, is supposed to have a set value, in this case $1.

The algorithmic part is where it gets more complicated. While most stablecoins are backed by currency reserves, similar to the way that money in a bank account is backed by savings, algorithmic stablecoins are supposedly propped up by complicated trading protocols.

The Saudi Riyal is backed by oil reserves.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/13/cryptocurrencies-collapsing-happens-next/

Cryptocurrency has been compared to digital gold, a way to avoid inflation, and a criminal’s best friend. Day to day, however, it runs on confidence. The values of Bitcoin and other coins is as much a factor of investors’ belief as any technical consideration.

'Running on confidence' sounds similar to a belief in a deity. Religion is a powerful force that grips avid believers, even to the outer fringes of Jonestown or Waco. People have so much confidence in some religions that are prepared to give up their lives for it.

UST is a so-called algorithmic stablecoin. A stablecoin, unlike a cryptocurrency such as Bitcoin that fluctuates wildly, is supposed to have a set value, in this case $1.

The algorithmic part is where it gets more complicated. While most stablecoins are backed by currency reserves, similar to the way that money in a bank account is backed by savings, algorithmic stablecoins are supposedly propped up by complicated trading protocols.

They are a high risk investment that's for sure.

Still has the feel of 'emperors new clothes' for me currently but I am sure in some way they (some) will exist in future & be more accepted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    seth plum said:

I mean, this is literally how every government backed currency works. We only give it value because we have faith that it has value. The value of bitcoin is based upon scarcity and code, only 21 million bitcoin will ever be mined. After that, there will never be more. More use of bitcoin/more people keeping bitcoin as a store of value like gold, the more scarce it gets, so value goes up. It's also far from being a "criminals best friend" - its an open ledger, you can see who's sent how much bitcoin to who. It's literally the worst thing to use for criminal activities. Physical Cash is much, much better for that.

Algorithmic stables don't work - for the exact reason that UST showed. It simply doesn't work. Basically all stablecoins are *not* backed 1:1 with a real dollar. This is something that the industry needs to change.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    be prepared for your investment to go down 50% from now before it goes up 100%. "Invest" in big caps, like bitcoin and ethereum. Other alt coins may and will die. The time to buy alt coins is when bitcoin is on a bull run.
    Surely then I should wait until it loses 50% before jumping in? 

Tongue in cheek response - apologies, but at my age long-term investments don't make a great deal of sense - steady if unspectacular growth at relatively low risk is the order of the day. Probably why I haven't dipped my toe in before now.

I'll stick to art and watches I think for the higher returns and at relatively low risk. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Tongue in cheek response - apologies, but at my age long-term investments don't make a great deal of sense - steady if unspectacular growth at relatively low risk is the order of the day. Probably why I haven't dipped my toe in before now.

I'll stick to art and watches I think for the higher returns and at relatively low risk. 
    smart answer: yes

smarter answer: no, time in the markets beats timing the market
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Mate, I know you don't like Hirsts Art as such, but The Currency and Empress projects are great buys atm. Empress is basically a print deed and Currency is a NFT that you can swap for an original.

I'd be shocked if Empress ($2000) doesn't x3 your money within 2 years and Currency ( approx $6500) is profitable already if you trade for the original. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    shine166 said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Mate, I know you don't like Hirsts Art as such, but The Currency and Empress projects are great buys atm. Empress is basically a print deed and Currency is a NFT that you can swap for an original.

I'd be shocked if Empress ($2000) doesn't x3 your money within 2 years and Currency ( approx $6500) is profitable already if you trade for the original. 
    I'll have another look - I need to move from investing in art primarily because I like the artist to investing in art as a pure financial transaction. 

Edit: Sorry - I'll jump out of the thread now and leave it to you crypto kids!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:
    shine166 said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

I'll have another look - I need to move from investing in art primarily because I like the artist to investing in art as a pure financial transaction. 

Worth it while ETH is on its arse 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

smart answer: yes

smarter answer: no, time in the markets beats timing the market
    Been there, done that - liquidated a lot of those 'time in the market' investments over the past few years. It's too late/risky for new long-term investment now and my wife and I intend to spend it all before we pop our clogs. The kids can have the property!!
    Can I have a contract for a pre/purpose built people analytics and workforce planning solution that will connect your talent decisions to business outcomes ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:
    @bobmunro ... investment in such a volatile commodity makes sense if you are prepared to track on a daily (or better) basis.  You can make huge profits (compared to more conventional investment rates) if you are prepared to put the hours in.  Tracking in real time allows you to cream off the profits that can occur over a few hours or days, then you quit and come back to try it all again at a later date, not worrying or dwelling on the fact that you could have made even more if only you had waited a bit longer.

But investing in these things and holding?  I don't think so.

Note that the often-quoted mantra that "no-one who has ever held on to Bitcoin for at least 200 days has ever lost money" remains true as the share price didn't really take off until Oct/Nov 2020, but the current fall in value may see this situation change in the fairly near future.

If you fancy playing the high-risk market, then have a go.  Ignore the pseudoscientific prediction methods.  A quick look back on this thread will demonstrate that, although I'm sure that all the prediction failures can be easily explained in retrospect.

But, if you do have a go, track it like a hawk by the hour, plunder your profit, then get out.

No charge for the advice.
  • Options
    If you’re a gambling man, buy some Luna and hope it doesn’t go to zero lol. Insane volatility today 
    100 quid will get you over a million now. So bloody tempting!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Don't forget the Single Malt's Bob, the returns might not be as good as art but bloody good fun. And if it crashes and burns you can drink the bugger. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    bobmunro said:
    "Invest" in big caps, like bitcoin and ethereum. Other alt coins may and will die. 
    I've always said this and you got very angry with me for saying so. An out of touch old man or something like that. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    "Invest" in big caps, like bitcoin and ethereum. Other alt coins may and will die. 
    I've always said this and you got very angry with me for saying so. An out of touch old man or something like that. 
    I did? Sorry. 
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    If you’re a gambling man, buy some Luna and hope it doesn’t go to zero lol. Insane volatility today 
    Not for me who bought at $2 and that 100 quid is now nothing 😂 
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I mean, this is literally how every government backed currency works. We only give it value because we have faith that it has value. The value of bitcoin is based upon scarcity and code, only 21 million bitcoin will ever be mined. After that, there will never be more. More use of bitcoin/more people keeping bitcoin as a store of value like gold, the more scarce it gets, so value goes up. It's also far from being a "criminals best friend" - its an open ledger, you can see who's sent how much bitcoin to who. It's literally the worst thing to use for criminal activities. Physical Cash is much, much better for that.

Algorithmic stables don't work - for the exact reason that UST showed. It simply doesn't work. Basically all stablecoins are *not* backed 1:1 with a real dollar. This is something that the industry needs to change.
    This is only partially true. For example, the Bank of England holds other investments to the exact value of all the notes it issues, currently 87,326 (£mns). So the backing will be a selection of Govt. stocks and commercial bonds, etc. So, it's not just "faith". There is some tangible backing for the currency issue.  The bonus is that the BoE makes a profit from its note issue by harvesting the interest on BGS and commercial paper.  So, the BoE hands around £500mn a year to HM Treasury.

Of course, if we get nuked by Russia...
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    seth plum said:

This is only partially true. For example, the Bank of England holds other investments to the exact value of all the notes it issues, currently 87,326 (£mns). So the backing will be a selection of Govt. stocks and commercial bonds, etc. So, it's not just "faith". There is some tangible backing for the currency issue.  The bonus is that the BoE makes a profit from its note issue by harvesting the interest on BGS and commercial paper.  So, the BoE hands around £500mn a year to HM Treasury.

Are you suggesting we should be investing in nuclear shelters?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    seth plum said:

Are you suggesting we should be investing in nuclear shelters?
    I bought one a few years ago ... money back guarantee.

I'm no mug.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Not for me who bought at $2 and that 100 quid is now nothing 😂 
    5x so far!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    shine166 said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Currency now $8900 
  • Options
    Mate of mine bought 50000 lunar at 2p a piece. Sold them at 50p a piece. All within an hour. Wish I'd done the same but couldn't access my crypto wallets! 

£24k profit in that time was mental, most places not trading it from what I can see now.