Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Joyes

Comments

• Juninho stayed there a long time, so it couldnt have been all bad - in actual fact, there is some stunning countryside outside Boro.

Yarm is nice
  • ‘Track record of working in a dynamic, forward-thinking and proactive finance environment’

That’s his chances blown out of the water ...
  • Swisdom said:

I have to admit I’ve been to Middlesbrough once and would be quite happy never to go again. Horrendously drab place. Geographical equivalent of an armpit

Hairy armpit.

• Heard that he has now resigned from his post.
  • He has shouted at a member of the B20 for holding a protest banner and saying KM should quit. He agrees with everything his wife says hence why he never told her to shut up.

(Rewind to December)

We all agree with the other halves in public to be fair... I don't like the hassle of not doing so and I doubt Chris Parkes is any different.
  • Dazzler21 said:

He has shouted at a member of the B20 for holding a protest banner and saying KM should quit. He agrees with everything his wife says hence why he never told her to shut up.

(Rewind to December)

We all agree with the other halves in public to be fair... I don't like the hassle of not doing so and I doubt Chris Parkes is any different.
    ha ha this isn't the check out queue in Tesco's...
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

He has shouted at a member of the B20 for holding a protest banner and saying KM should quit. He agrees with everything his wife says hence why he never told her to shut up.

(Rewind to December)

Only those without a backbone to be fair.
  • rikofold said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Good luck to Mr Joyes. He’s a really nice guy and a family man.

No need for any animosity in his direction.

His departure presumably means he is no longer required

I'd dispute the first two points.

I'd question why he's no longer needed though @Swisdom a takeover and a transfer window plus normal operation of the business and we have no CEO or FD to either run the club or hand it over.
    Not had many dealings with him but those I have have been amiable. Not heard people talk about him like Keohane so assumed he was fairly well liked.

My assumption is it is pretty much a done deal and so they are free to go. If this drags for more than a week or two our season is over so prospective owners are likely to want to move at pace.

As with Meire - strange time to go as the takeover would probably lead to a redundancy payout...unless that’s already sorted

He may well be more amicable than Keohane but that is a very low benchmark. The views I have heard expressed about him were less than favourable, shall we say.

I'm not one of those drawing up a list of quislings to have their heads shaved on the pitch but Joyes held a very senior role in this regime and the last. He knew what he was doing.
    I've got a lot of time for David Joyes. I've worked with him on VG and he's a nice guy, family man, and very professional.

There have been compromises along the way, which is undoubtedly understating it as we both know (especially under the spivs), but for me he's not one for the gallows. I got the impression more than once that mistakes of the past (knowing or otherwise) wouldn't be repeated moving forward. Company man, that said.

Job opportunity at the club he supports, timing coincides with huge changes and unknowns with his current employer. Who'd blame him really.
    Don't blame him for taking the job and he may well have gone for it regardless of the situation at Charlton given that he's from that area.

I do blame him for his actions while FD at Charlton and for his active support of KM in her disastrous mismanagement of the club.
    I know where you're coming from.
  • edited January 2018
    Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

No axe to grind with Joyes, I only met him a couple of times, if he has gone then so be it, its another part of the regime dismantled.

What is this 'he's a family man' stuff about though? Is it the fans equivalent of a when a manager says 'he's not that sort of player' after an awful tackle.

To my knowledge Donald Trump, Roland Duchatalet and Sepp Blatter are all 'family men' as well, in fact so am I but it wouldn't strengthen my case to become Chief Financial Officer for a football club?

Whereas someone without a family is morally lacking and not to be trusted in any circumstances.
    Yeah that's what I said. Make sure you attribute it to me when you quote me. :wink:

I think we know what that means, I personally wouldn't describe Trump as a family man (but probably would Duchatelet) but agree re Joyes it's got nothing to do with his ability as FD.

Bottom line, away from the footie he's an ordinary likeable guy. I won't be applying for the job of executioner, nor will I be lobbying for such a sentence.

He's also a company man as I've said and that can be frustrating when you don't agree with stances he takes publicly. He's not necessarily taken quite the same private stances, in my experience, but that's included in the 'professional' bit. Frustrating, maybe unforgiveable for some, but it is what it is.

• Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

No axe to grind with Joyes, I only met him a couple of times, if he has gone then so be it, its another part of the regime dismantled.

What is this 'he's a family man' stuff about though? Is it the fans equivalent of a when a manager says 'he's not that sort of player' after an awful tackle.

To my knowledge Donald Trump, Roland Duchatalet and Sepp Blatter are all 'family men' as well, in fact so am I but it wouldn't strengthen my case to become Chief Financial Officer for a football club?

Whereas someone without a family is morally lacking and not to be trusted in any circumstances.
    Always annoys me when family man, church goer, solicitor, business owner etc. are used as reasons to excuse crimes and misdemeanors as 'momentary lapses of judgement'.
    And who's doing that?
  • Sponsored links:

• rikofold said:

Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

Always annoys me when family man, church goer, solicitor, business owner etc. are used as reasons to excuse crimes and misdemeanors as 'momentary lapses of judgement'.
    And who's doing that?
    I spent some time with him in Dublin and we were talking about family life and kids. He dotes on his family. That is what I meant by family man - they are important to him. Some people just talk about work and other stuff but never about family - he was keen to talk about his kids and how important they are to him.

He doesn't deserve some of the negativity aimed at him imo - he's just a bloke doing a job and trying to be the best he can be.
  • rikofold said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Good luck to Mr Joyes. He’s a really nice guy and a family man.

No need for any animosity in his direction.

His departure presumably means he is no longer required

I'd dispute the first two points.

I'd question why he's no longer needed though @Swisdom a takeover and a transfer window plus normal operation of the business and we have no CEO or FD to either run the club or hand it over.
    Not had many dealings with him but those I have have been amiable. Not heard people talk about him like Keohane so assumed he was fairly well liked.

My assumption is it is pretty much a done deal and so they are free to go. If this drags for more than a week or two our season is over so prospective owners are likely to want to move at pace.

As with Meire - strange time to go as the takeover would probably lead to a redundancy payout...unless that’s already sorted

He may well be more amicable than Keohane but that is a very low benchmark. The views I have heard expressed about him were less than favourable, shall we say.

I'm not one of those drawing up a list of quislings to have their heads shaved on the pitch but Joyes held a very senior role in this regime and the last. He knew what he was doing.
    I've got a lot of time for David Joyes. I've worked with him on VG and he's a nice guy, family man, and very professional.

There have been compromises along the way, which is undoubtedly understating it as we both know (especially under the spivs), but for me he's not one for the gallows. I got the impression more than once that mistakes of the past (knowing or otherwise) wouldn't be repeated moving forward. Company man, that said.

Job opportunity at the club he supports, timing coincides with huge changes and unknowns with his current employer. Who'd blame him really.
    Don't blame him for taking the job and he may well have gone for it regardless of the situation at Charlton given that he's from that area.

I do blame him for his actions while FD at Charlton and for his active support of KM in her disastrous mismanagement of the club.
    I also question his cooperation with the financial policies of the previous regime when two directors (one of them a qualified accountant) had declined to continue their own involvement on ethical grounds.
    We did that, albeit obliquely :smile:
  • Swisdom said:

rikofold said:

Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

And who's doing that?
    I spent some time with him in Dublin and we were talking about family life and kids. He dotes on his family. That is what I meant by family man - they are important to him. Some people just talk about work and other stuff but never about family - he was keen to talk about his kids and how important they are to him.

He doesn't deserve some of the negativity aimed at him imo - he's just a bloke doing a job and trying to be the best he can be.
    Great that he dotes on his kids but nothing to do with how he acted as FD.
    Dunno about that so not going to comment. Just wanted to wish him well. My dealings with him were all amicable and I enjoyed his company. Nbody had said anything negative on here until he allegedly resigned and yet now he is a nefarious character.

Now he's off should I get to slagging off Richard Murray - that seems to be how things work around here?

Who next on the shit list - just so I can get my hatchet ready

• Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

rikofold said:

Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

And who's doing that?

Dunno about that so not going to comment. Just wanted to wish him well. My dealings with him were all amicable and I enjoyed his company. Nbody had said anything negative on here until he allegedly resigned and yet now he is a nefarious character.

Now he's off should I get to slagging off Richard Murray - that seems to be how things work around here?

In answer to your final question - yes.
  • David Joyes is genuinely a hard-working normal guy. Known his family for years and they're all such lovely, down to earth people.

Yes people make mistakes in their jobs, have you all not? Being under this ownership it's also no surprise.

Cut the guy some slack. I also know that he genuinely had a lot of affection for the club and his kids would all be in Charlton kits when they came to a lot of games.

Good luck in your new role David.
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

rikofold said:

Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

And who's doing that?

Take off the golf buddy blinkers, plenty of negative stuff has been written about him on here.
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

rikofold said:

Uboat said:

SE7toSG3 said:

And who's doing that?

Take off the golf buddy blinkers, plenty of negative stuff has been written about him on here.
    I don't think he plays.

I don't read every single thread on here so it's likely I have missed some stuff about him - but there has never been enough on here to have made him out to be the arse some people are