Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Gillingham 1/1/2018 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    The Old Colfeians 4th XI spin-bowling committee have been hobnobbing over bread pudding without their most mercurial member? Well I hope you all had a dashed good time ;)
  • Options

Does anyone know the price of that half year season ticket ?

Why would anyone want one?
  • Options

moleo88 said:

I think Magennis is absolutely woeful. Not saying he had a million chances, but I just don’t see what he offers.

We need to get him replaced, if we have any chance of going up.

we're not going up
    Carry on like this and we could be going down.
  • Options

Lookman not playing or on subs bench for Everton tonight....did I read somewhere that someone said he was coming to us on loan?

I could see that happening give him some playing time but the liability is high for what they spent for him.
    If I was Everton, I wouldn't let him anywhere near us ! He would be charltonised and injured within two weeks and out for 6 months.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    AshBurton said:

@seth plum's bread pudding was indeed magnificent. It was a veritable oasis in the otherwise barren desert of watching Karl Robinson's Charlton Athletic.

And um....where's mine?
  • Options

SDAddick said:

have we won since Bauer came out of the team?

We've picked up two points since Patrick Bauer last played (Was subbed off in the 2-2 draw with Peterborough)
    I cant always count on you to be the anorak. Thanks for looking that up. Bauer's injury was the first in what became a wave of injuries, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we've dropped off since he's been out of the team.

Desperately hope he's back for Saturday.
  • Options

Lookman not playing or on subs bench for Everton tonight....did I read somewhere that someone said he was coming to us on loan?

I could see that happening give him some playing time but the liability is high for what they spent for him.
    Don't get too excited - could be like Poyet all over again.
  • Options
    Sarr surprised me today when he proved he can pass over some distance with both feet. Don't understand the criticism of him today. He was the best defender by far. The other left footers proved otherwise. It's about time time Kashi passed to a player with the ball actually in front of him. Lennon was like a fish out of water.
  • Options

Gillingham have done the double over us.

Let that sink in.

And then weep at how low we've sunk.

Another historic first under the Duchatelet reign. First time in Charlton’s history that Gillingham have completed the double over Charlton in a season.
  • Options
    Let's not allow this unfortunate result cloud the memory of our magnificent draw against Wigan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:

Sarr surprised me today when he proved he can pass over some distance with both feet. Don't understand the criticism of him today. He was the best defender by far. The other left footers proved otherwise. It's about time time Kashi passed to a player with the ball actually in front of him. Lennon was like a fish out of water.

Ugh finally someone else mentions Lennon. I thought I was losing my mind.

To be fair to him this is maybe his 5th appearance in the better part of two years and he looks way off the pace. But he was all over the shop.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

have we won since Bauer came out of the team?

We've picked up two points since Patrick Bauer last played (Was subbed off in the 2-2 draw with Peterborough)
    I cant always count on you to be the anorak. Thanks for looking that up. Bauer's injury was the first in what became a wave of injuries, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we've dropped off since he's been out of the team.

Desperately hope he's back for Saturday.
    And if your interested...

Jason Pearce: P10 - W6 | D1 | L4
    Patrick Bauer: P18 - W10 | D4 | L4
    Naby Sarr: P13 - W5 | D5 | L3
  • Options
    Wasn't there but I'm guessing Sarr is the official scapegoat, when I last watched him he was good and everyone keeps raving how much of a revelation he has been. How can all that go in one match?
  • Options

Wasn't there but I'm guessing Sarr is the official scapegoat, when I last watched him he was good and everyone keeps raving how much of a revelation he has been. How can all that go in one match?

No!! - He was better than Konsa | Lennon | Holmes | Reeves | Forster-Caskey | Magennis
  • Options
    So much wrong today its hard to know where to start.........

I posted on the pre-match thread that this was a typical Charlton "letdown" game. Get a heroic & battling point away to the league leaders & then don't back it up when against a bottom half team at home. That point at Wigan was useless & worthless if we couldn't get anything today. That is why I'm so angry tonight. Robinson even went to The Priestfield on Saturday & saw Gillingham play. You wouldn't have thought it. The first half resembled a pub side on a sunday - rocking up with 10 mins before the start & the manager handing out the shirts to the less hungover of those bothered to turn up.

The first goal was dreadful defending. Da Silva gives so much going forward but today he was at fault as he let the bloke run it and tap into an empty net. The second he was caught upfield & left no cover behind him. Great pass to Eaves & he did what a striker should do.....find the net. He should have scored much earlier but Amos did really well to save from close range. But we all knew that 2 would be enough. We have not scored twice in a game since September. Our top goalscorer is still Fosu & he's not played for 2 months. Ricky has scored once in that time & Magennis hasn't scored since the clocks went back. They have been our main goalscorers for the past 18 months.

I've said it on other threads but Robinson has to go. Changing managers is not usually a recipe for success, but neither is to keep playing the same way & expecting something different. Losing is becoming a habit & I really do fear that we are going to be caught in a relegation battle - and this team hasn't got the belly for a fight. The only saving grace maybe the fact that we have the points in the bag already - but its going to be tight.

• Options
    And another thing. That’s the first time I can remember the team emerging from the tunnel at half time to complete and utter silence despite Brian’s exhortation to welcome them back.
  • Options

To be fair to him - just seen the 2nd Gills goal on SkySports and it was miles offside.
  • Options

And another thing. That’s the first time I can remember the team emerging from the tunnel at half time to complete and utter silence despite Brian’s exhortation to welcome them back.

They didn’t turn up for the first half either.
  • Options
    'Highlights' from Sky:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/charlton-athletic/11192464/charlton-1-2-gillingham

Thank goodness I couldn’t go today.

First half defending looks dreadful.
  • Options
    sm said:

To be fair to him - just seen the 2nd Gills goal on SkySports and it was miles offside.
    That's what I'm saying. I think he is decent and has a lot of potential, when I last watched him he was good and people have rated him recently on post match views. I am seeing him get pelters on social media and some comments on here. I don't think Lennon should have started, especially when we have an ok back up at right back in Anfernee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Just back, awful for the first half, huffed and puffed for the second but was still not up to the standard for third division football.

For a moment I thought 23 year old Forster-Caskey with 30 odd appearences was rushed back from injury too soon and made captain but nah, I must have imagined it.
  • Options
    Good report by Golfie. Da Silva was by far our best player but he leaves holes in defence. Three times the Gills easily carved us open, with mistakes by all our defenders. We were so weak, but played so well at Wigan! It beggars belief. Amos played okay and made one excellent save. Konsa seemed to be playing cautiously. Marshall was hopeless in the first half yet came out second half on fire. Starr passed the ball well but as we all know, is always likely to make a mistake. It was noticeable that Gillingham did not ping the ball around in their half. I don't think the 42211 system works for us as there is no-one to do the channels. Magennis had another very poor first half but more involved in the second half. i think he needs an attack partner. At least we had a calvary charge in the second half and were unlucky on several occasions: Magennis hit the bar, KAG very close and Best toe poked over the bar when he should have scored. At least they tried. But surely, we have no chance of going up.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    sm said:

I wasn’t sure when I saw it live but watching the Sky highlights looks onside to me. Who ever is at LB is level with the Gills player. Sarr was more interested in appealing for offside than trying to defend.
  • Options
    He was a yard off. Closest player to playing him on was Lennon, but he was still beyond him. Sarr deliberately hung back, knowing he'd be offside, but the linesman cocked up. That's genuinely what happened IMO. Maybe there'll be a proper replay or freeze-frame
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    In my honest opinion, you can't blame the players.
    He's asked them to play his style first half and gave in the second half as his style is shite.

Sideways, backwards, possession shite with a waste of a player in midfield who makes the pitch smaller.

Play like a counter attacking away team at home.
    Play like that wheen your 3 nil up not 2 nil down.
    So many basic basic errors that I would moan at an under 15 side about, one example, 'mark the throwers feet'

Utter shite I'm afraid Karl and I've backed you.

That game could have been any of the past 7 performances at home, predictable, boring, meaningless shite mate.
  • Options
    Looks like I’m In a minority of one, but I felt sorry for Sarr and Lennon. Both our full-backs were so high up the pitch and with Gillingham playing a 4-3-1-2 it was essentially a 2 v 2 at the back.

Both goals were a result of our CBs being too far apart trying to cover where Konsa and Da Silva should have been and with JFC being brought back against the medical teams advice and Kashi left to pick up David Martin we were left exposed.

I said last week that we should stick with KR, but he can’t cry wolf about injuries when he chooses to take gambles as he did today.
  • Options

Does anyone know the price of that half year season ticket ?

Why would anyone want one?
    What is it with Americans and irony ?

• Options
    DRAddick said:

sm said:

I wasn’t sure when I saw it live but watching the Sky highlights looks onside to me. Who ever is at LB is level with the Gills player. Sarr was more interested in appealing for offside than trying to defend.
    Our LB was in the other half. You're probably thinking of Lennon, who decided he'd watch the cross sail past him. But Eaves was still a yard ahead of him
  • Options
    I mean, Sarr did make a few bad errors. There was a needless free-kick early on, and a bad clearance, but if you hear your own fans booing you, you'd probably make a bad clearance too