Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Gillingham 1/1/2018 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    In the cold light of day, yesterday was unacceptable. If you put in a performance like they did in that first half then you deserve to lose, regardless of the effort in the second half.

Again players being brought back in too quickly and now Caskey is out with another muscle injury. Do they warm up properly?

What Aribo and KAG did to get dropped on recent performances is a strange one, but he had bar 3 players his strongest line up out there, and it was clearly not good enough.

The season is running away with us and it will take a quick turn around to grab that play off spot.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

- There's no defensive communication. Apparently Amos has been told not to shout at his defence, because they're young and KR doesn't want them to panic.

Great summary again Paddy but seriously in regards to the above... You must be joking?

That sounds like another email suggestion that Karl's taken on board from Roland surely!!
    I probably should have said take that with a MASSIVE pinch of salt.

Was speaking to a bloke in the Valley Cafe yesterday, and apparently he shouted at Amos during an away game asking why he doesn't bellow at his defence more, and Amos after the game came up to him and said he was instructed not to...

Whether this particular tidbit is true, the fact remains that there's still a woeful lack of communication.
  • Options

Robinson seemed to take offence at me telling him, that we should be playing two up front all the time as he walked off at the end, he motioned he wanted to meet me outside, silly twat. How the hell does he continue with 1 up front and 5 in midfield it gets so clogged up, the difference and space it allowed Marshall and Holmes made us look dangerous, but far too little too late.

Manager offers one of his own club's fans out for telling him what he refuses to acknowledge - classy. I would love to see the fat chump put on his arse with a thick lip. That might slow his stream of bullshit a tad. Won't be sorry to see him kissing someone else's badge, if you get my drift.
    yep says it all, I was shouting play two fuckin up front, and he give it the see you outside motion what a wanker.
  • Options

Robinson seemed to take offence at me telling him, that we should be playing two up front all the time as he walked off at the end, he motioned he wanted to meet me outside, silly twat. How the hell does he continue with 1 up front and 5 in midfield it gets so clogged up, the difference and space it allowed Marshall and Holmes made us look dangerous, but far too little too late.

Manager offers one of his own club's fans out for telling him what he refuses to acknowledge - classy. I would love to see the fat chump put on his arse with a thick lip. That might slow his stream of bullshit a tad. Won't be sorry to see him kissing someone else's badge, if you get my drift.
    yep says it all, I was shouting play two fuckin up front, and he give it the see you outside motion what a wanker.
    Maybe he just wanted a nice friendly chat?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Mate, was that you right at the front of the N.stand, near the tunnel, at the end? Although you really were giving it some, I noticed Robinson staring at you then asking you out for a chat! Likewise Kashi.
    Admire your passion my friend
    Passion or aggression? Sounds like he was being aggressive towards Robbo and is now the victim because Robbo bit back.
    who has said I was a victim, I said he was a fuckin twat for doing it, couldn't care less, I wern't going to wait 90 mins to see if he was being serious.
  • Options

Eaves is 25 and has had a very modest career up to now.

It would oh taken us... oooah, two weeks to Charltonise him.

spot on soapy.

This one is for the Older lifers.

Barry Endean back in the early 70's scored a goal every 2 and a half games for Watford. Comes to CAFC and scores 1 in 27.

For every Hales or Mendonca we have had hundreds of non/low scoring strikers.
  • Options
    Again losing :-( Roland 200% OUT
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Mate, was that you right at the front of the N.stand, near the tunnel, at the end? Although you really were giving it some, I noticed Robinson staring at you then asking you out for a chat! Likewise Kashi.
    Admire your passion my friend
    Passion or aggression? Sounds like he was being aggressive towards Robbo and is now the victim because Robbo bit back.
    who has said I was a victim, I said he was a fuckin twat for doing it, couldn't care less, I wern't going to wait 90 mins to see if he was being serious.
    I had to wait for over 180 minutes this festive period to see us get serious, in fact I'm still waiting!

Robinson and the players don't seem to have any concept of how important the next 4 weeks are, if a takeover goes through the boycotters like me will be back in the pig pen and supporting the push. Even those without the courage of conviction to boycott and not go will always be swayed by results and performances. I went on boxing day because it's what I do on boxing day, I went yesterday because it was a derby and was expecting a bit of blood and thunder. If I was of weaker mind a couple of performances might have made me put my hand in my pocket and buy a half season. My non-attendance has never been about results, it's about a change of ownership and direction. Some guts in two derbies is all I expected, all I wanted. Performances if you can credit the Southend display and last nights performances make not going a really easy decision for a lot of people. I've never supported charlton expecting us to win anything let alone everything but I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect the players to show up and play with at least a modicum of professional pride.

I can't relate to this squad at all, they are a bunch of pussies with no arsehole or leadership at all. It's shameful that for the team to have any desire or intent we need to play the first team coach.

They can all fuck off once this takeover goes through, Holmes and Aribo apart I don't think any of the side from the last 2 games ive seen can hold their heads up. I wasn't at Wigan so can't say how any of them performed
  • Options
    Aribo and KAG need to start next game, Aribo will need to anyway due to injuries but Magennis isnt doing it up top on his own. Unless he drops Reeves and starts 2 upfront? one thing for certain though is that things need to be shaken up!
  • Options

Remind me of that gesture again?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Remind me of that gesture again?
    Taken a selfie as a demonstration for you...

• Options
    Wow, you're an outstandingly handsome fella at least.

I genuinely don't get what the gesture was though.
  • Options
    2 points from a possible 18 makes for bad reading for any wearers of the rose tinted specs
  • Options
    Very much a game of two halves. Gillingham did bugger all in both halves except score. We were like two different teams.

Again, the effect of a lack of a decent finisher was there for all to see.
  • Options
    Just a quick thought. I've seen a lot of people say that (guilty myself) our players should be 'doing better' or 'winning these type of games'. How our main players match anyone's. What is this even based on?

Judging by the reports Gills have a better striker than we have, and that's a lower league 1 side. A lot of us said how not many teams will match our midfield in Kashi and JFC, they've not exactly torn the league apart have they? Injuries or not when we did have our strongest XI we lost to Gills, Plymouth and had some questionable draws. The table would suggest that Shrewsbury, who will be on much lower wages are better than us player for player.

My point is maybe our players are just a bit pony. Obviously there's a few like Holmes and Fosu who are genuinely good players but who else actually is and can get us where we want to be? We get all wound up when we lose saying how it's unacceptable etc, which would be the case if we had a midfield of let's say Kante and Pogba who we know are top draw and were getting overran by Fer and Drinkwater who are average/half decent, but what's to say what we have is better than what we play against. Would what we have get a start for the teams around us like Pompey and Peterborough? My point is I don't really know the league 1 players around us like I do the Prem and championship and for all we know we could just be overrating what we have based on little evidence?
  • Options

Just a quick thought. I've seen a lot of people say that (guilty myself) our players should be 'doing better' or 'winning these type of games'. How our main players match anyone's. What is this even based on?

Judging by the reports Gills have a better striker than we have, and that's a lower league 1 side. A lot of us said how not many teams will match our midfield in Kashi and JFC, they've not exactly torn the league apart have they? Injuries or not when we did have our strongest XI we lost to Gills, Plymouth and had some questionable draws. The table would suggest that Shrewsbury, who will be on much lower wages are better than us player for player.

My point is maybe our players are just a bit pony. Obviously there's a few like Holmes and Fosu who are genuinely good players but who else actually is and can get us where we want to be? We get all wound up when we lose saying how it's unacceptable etc, which would be the case if we had a midfield of let's say Kante and Pogba who we know are top draw and were getting overran by Fer and Drinkwater who are average/half decent, but what's to say what we have is better than what we play against. Would what we have get a start for the teams around us like Pompey and Peterborough? My point is I don't really know the league 1 players around us like I do the Prem and championship and for all we know we could just be overrating what we have based on little evidence?

It comes down to wanting it more sometimes. Fortunately football games aren't played on paper but on paper we have some good footballers for this level. Unfortunately they show a lot less hunger and desire than are opponents and have done so consistently. Because that is the type of player we sign nowadays.

Gillingham, same as Southend were nothing more than professional. Neither side played us off the park but they did win the individual battles and attacked the ball. We didn't and we don't
  • Options
    I don't think it was an effort issue but more a slight confidence, calmness and coolness issue which is why we were a bit too much off the pace in the 1st half.
  • Options
    The answer to the question you pose at the end about KR is that unfortunately (for us) KR is not a very good coach. For all his bluster and bon homme i fear he is a dud.
  • Options

The answer to the question you pose at the end about KR is that unfortunately (for us) KR is not a very good coach. For all his bluster and bon homme i fear he is a dud.

A dud with a big mouth .....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A dud with a big mouth .....
    But a big heart!
  • Options
    Watch the highlights most of their attacks were direct not down the wings... kind of makes his statement stand out as Joe Dodoo.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    shirty5 said:

In the cold light of day, yesterday was unacceptable. If you put in a performance like they did in that first half then you deserve to lose, regardless of the effort in the second half.

Again players being brought back in too quickly and now Caskey is out with another muscle injury. Do they warm up properly?

What Aribo and KAG did to get dropped on recent performances is a strange one, but he had bar 3 players his strongest line up out there, and it was clearly not good enough.

The season is running away with us and it will take a quick turn around to grab that play off spot avoid relegation

• Options

shirty5 said:

The season is running away with us and it will take a quick turn around to grab that play off spot avoid relegation

Good start in first half of season will keep us well away from that dw.
  • Options

2 points from a possible 18 makes for bad reading for any wearers of the rose tinted specs

and only 3 goals during that period. Only Bury have scored less (None I believe - and we play them soon !!)

Yes, we are going to lose games & also not play well in some. We may also play well & lose, but what I can't accept is the weakness of our attack. Fosu is our top goalscorer with 7 - and he hasn't played for 2 months. Magennis, our only striker, hasn't scored since then either - and he's played every game since then !! Robinson was effervescent in saying that we have goals from all over the park, but Clarke, Marshall & Reeves have not chipped in and although JFC has scored a couple he is more defensive & so is not always near the goal. And then there is the defence..........we used to be able to rely on Bauer & the other centre halves to get a couple a month, but when was the last time a CH scored from a corner ??

THIS is the reason why I despair of our position. Our bad run can't just be put down to injuries, or poor refereeing, the rub of the green etc etc. To win a game of football you have to score at least once. Scoring 3 goals in 6 games isn't going to get you many points. - as it has proved.

Until our goalscoring problem is sorted then we will continue to struggle & to slide down the league.
  • Options

I don't think it was an effort issue but more a slight confidence, calmness and coolness issue which is why we were a bit too much off the pace in the 1st half.

Part of the same thing mate, you don't just get time on the ball or space, you need to earn it. Unless you are Andrea Pirlo or Paul Scholes.

Alan Shearer always wanted to be first to the ball, Drogba was the same, even our own Yann fought to win the ball. Once you dominate and get yourself into the right areas you can be cool and calm, you can also attack the ball and by doing so you can put opponents off their game and dominate the weaker ones. Like what happens to our midfield and centre halves.

Put it like this, the side that went up and that we had before this old lunatic bought us always competed. We didn't have the point winning quality if Kermorgant was out or Stephens had an off day but those guys worked hard too. We won so many games in the title winning season, especially away from home by winning 50/50 games and showing guts and wearing down the opposition and keeping players fit. It's also funny how winning sides do that (Have smaller injury lists)
  • Options
    Carter said:

Part of the same thing mate, you don't just get time on the ball or space, you need to earn it. Unless you are Andrea Pirlo or Paul Scholes.

Alan Shearer always wanted to be first to the ball, Drogba was the same, even our own Yann fought to win the ball. Once you dominate and get yourself into the right areas you can be cool and calm, you can also attack the ball and by doing so you can put opponents off their game and dominate the weaker ones. Like what happens to our midfield and centre halves.

Put it like this, the side that went up and that we had before this old lunatic bought us always competed. We didn't have the point winning quality if Kermorgant was out or Stephens had an off day but those guys worked hard too. We won so many games in the title winning season, especially away from home by winning 50/50 games and showing guts and wearing down the opposition and keeping players fit. It's also funny how winning sides do that (Have smaller injury lists)
    Partly down to a confidence issue I reckon.
  • Options

Eaves is 25 and has had a very modest career up to now.

It would oh taken us... oooah, two weeks to Charltonise him.

spot on soapy.

This one is for the Older lifers.

Barry Endean back in the early 70's scored a goal every 2 and a half games for Watford. Comes to CAFC and scores 1 in 27.

For every Hales or Mendonca we have had hundreds of non/low scoring strikers.
    Also, people are judging him on one or two games and few league one strikers are that good every week. I'm sure Bristol Rovers fans think Big Josh is the bees knees....
  • Options

Redskin said:

Eaves was superb: the way he set up their first is something the lumpen Magennis could only dream of. Good touch for a big man as well.

The number 9 Eaves was the difference between the two sides.
    if he was playing up front for CAFC 2nd half, we would have won !

Having non scoring strikers is madness.
    We could live with Magennis not scoring if he contributed anything else
  • Options
    Losing Clarke during our good run and replacing him with Reeves has made a boig contribution to our poor form. If you watch Reeves, most times we bring it up from the back he is hiding and making no effort to get into space. On the odd occasion that the wingers pass inside to him he invariably gets dispossessed orr passes the ball backwards. He offers virtually no attacking threat through the middle. As a number 10 he is useless and one important reason we create few chances.
    Aribo would be far better in the 10 position despite his rawness.
    Some people have defended Reeves because he is unfit. How long does it take to get fit? I think he was either oversold by Robinson or he has lost the will to play.