Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Gillingham 1/1/2018 post-match views

1234568»

Comments

• Is it my imagination or does Lee Martin play at the Valley in a different coloured shirt for fun?
  • Possibly the worse display of 2 centre halves I have seen. Lennon is totally out of his depth , Robinson moved Sarr to the right side (bearing in mind he is left footed) and with Konsa going walkabouts he was trying to do 2 jobs. Lennon was caught the wrong side of their centre forward numerous times. Sarr appeared to improve in the second half but Lennon was still all over the place. Lets hope one of our other defenders are fit for the next game and get Lennon out. He also spends too much time waving his arms around at other players rather than doing his own job.
  • Possibly the worse display of 2 centre halves I have seen. Lennon is totally out of his depth , Robinson moved Sarr to the right side (bearing in mind he is left footed) and with Konsa going walkabouts he was trying to do 2 jobs. Lennon was caught the wrong side of their centre forward numerous times. Sarr appeared to improve in the second half but Lennon was still all over the place. Lets hope one of our other defenders are fit for the next game and get Lennon out. He also spends too much time waving his arms around at other players rather than doing his own job.

Why can't a left footer play in the right channel ?
  • Magennis used to win aerial balls and nod them down for Ajose – who was never there. He needs a close partner in a 4-4-2 formation.

Robinson's obstinate adherence to one single man up front is the cause of our unravelling season. His idea was that the midfielders would get forward quickly in support – but that hasn't worked out. Usually, our midfield players are simply incapable of getting past the opponents' defence.

Two rehearsed strikers would take some pressure off our limp midfield and creaking defence – and, crucially, give our opponents something to worry about. This impotence has been obvious for months, even when we got out of jail or stumbled to a narrow win. The number of games we have watched at The Valley, appalled and stunned, as we fail to muster a single shot on target in the entire second half...

Yesterday's second-half improvement proves that we should have played a more attacking formation right from the first kick-off, way back in August. Get forward at speed, apply pressure, turn the defenders. Holmes on the left and Marshall closing in on the right posed a few problems for 45 minutes. The accuracy of our crosses has improved – thankfully – yet we are still blunt in front of goal.

The quick build-up of accurate and perfectly weighted passes, and Eaves's incisive finish, were a lesson to us yesterday. Look closely: our fifteen-yard balls are slightly off: the recipient has to stretch or check to receive. In that split second, all is lost, and we revert to a mothers' meeting of sideways possession along the halfway line.

Reeves is a total flop; he wants three touches to control a simple ball. Aribo should start. Ahearne-Grant has perked up and should be directed to run the channels. Mavididi has great potential, yet hasn't scored at senior level.

We have gained just three points from the last 24 available. Without a proven goalscorer in a 4-4-2 formation we will descend faster than shit off a shovel.

Let us not forget Clarke played well of Mag too.
  • Scoham said:
    Clever to spot that from Lovell... Definitely felt that they made the right choice to leave out Wilkinson, he looked lazy when he came on and wouldnt have been as effective
  • Southbank said:

Losing Clarke during our good run and replacing him with Reeves has made a boig contribution to our poor form. If you watch Reeves, most times we bring it up from the back he is hiding and making no effort to get into space. On the odd occasion that the wingers pass inside to him he invariably gets dispossessed orr passes the ball backwards. He offers virtually no attacking threat through the middle. As a number 10 he is useless and one important reason we create few chances.
    Aribo would be far better in the 10 position despite his rawness.
    Some people have defended Reeves because he is unfit. How long does it take to get fit? I think he was either oversold by Robinson or he has lost the will to play.

Disagree with this. A few times on monday the ball dropped to Reeves because he was at the back on corners & crosses etc. He's not a striker he's a midfielder and being in the open spaces when we're in control is creating an option...

I would agree that I'd prefer Aribo there as he seems more of a 10 than Reeves.
  • edited January 2018
    The problem can be summed up with this point. Imagine you are managing a team that is comming to the Valley to play us. Would you have an idea how to set up and stop us? I would be amazed if anybody answers no to that question and therein lies the problem. None of us are tactical geniuses, but it is the tactical equivalent of 1 plus 1 is 2! Of course If Charlton offered something you hadn't planned for it might throw your plans up in the air a bit, but Charlton never do!
  • Sponsored links:

• The problem can be summed up with this point. Imagine you are managing a team that is comming to the Valley to play us. Would you have an idea how to set up and stop us? I would be amazed if anybody answers no to that question and therein lies the problem. None of us are tactical geniuses, but it is the tactical equivalent of 1 plus 1 is 2! Of course If Charlton offered something you hadn't planned for it might throw your plans up in the air a bit, but Charlton never do!

You are correct, I assumed the 4231 formation should offer flexibility to go 451 when out of possession and 424 when In possession however the way we do it is, lose possession and leave 4 players in advanced positions waiting for something to happen, which I see as the duty of the 3 creative players to roll their sleeves up and not wait for Forster-Caskey or Kashi to win the ball back and find someone 30 yards away.

• edited January 2018
    I'd be less critical if he tried to change things and his changes didn't work. But just leaving something which clearly isn't working is not impressing me. We can all have views of better systems, and players not playing always seem to be better when they are on the sidelines or with other clubs, but if what you are doing isn't working, it shouldn't be rocket science to try something else. I accept he is more qualified what that something else might be, but he doesn't seem to be able to react quickly. He needs 3 options as we are - A plan A, a plan B and a desperate plan C. I think the players ought to know what these plans are and be able to change formation of Robinson's instruction and we need to move to these plans more quickly. Waiting until half time on Monday when we still had well over 10 minutes in the first half was simply criminal!
  • Scoham said:
    Clever to spot that from Lovell... Definitely felt that they made the right choice to leave out Wilkinson, he looked lazy when he came on and wouldnt have been as effective
    Sounds wise-after-the-event to me and Eaves is the better player so hardly controversial.
  • Can't believe how Steve Lovell had turned things round there - prior to him taking over they were firmly in the relegation zone having only won 3 of there opening 15 games. Since then they have won 11, drawn 7 and lost just 4. And they now lie in 10th place and only half a dozen points behind us.

Steve was an academy coach for a few years with us and seemed a decent bloke so, much as it doesn't sit comfortably (especially as he is an ex Millwall player too) to see them doing well, I say good luck to him. He's gone about his business in a quiet unassuming way - a bit like Robbo!
  • Can't believe how Steve Lovell had turned things round there - prior to him taking over they were firmly in the relegation zone having only won 3 of there opening 15 games. Since then they have won 11, drawn 7 and lost just 4. And they now lie in 10th place and only half a dozen points behind us.

Steve was an academy coach for a few years with us and seemed a decent bloke so, much as it doesn't sit comfortably (especially as he is an ex Millwall player too) to see them doing well, I say good luck to him. He's gone about his business in a quiet unassuming way - a bit like Robbo!

Steve's a great bloke. One of his sons and one of my daughters were in the same class at primary school back in the day.

and some people on here say..." who would we get to replace Robinson " As I keep saying, there are plenty of decent managers out there.