Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Gillingham 1/1/2018 post-match views

Comments

• edited January 2018

Looks like I’m In a minority of one, but I felt sorry for Sarr and Lennon. Both our full-backs were so high up the pitch and with Gillingham playing a 4-3-1-2 it was essentially a 2 v 2 at the back.

Both goals were a result of our CBs being too far apart trying to cover where Konsa and Da Silva should have been and with JFC being brought back against the medical teams advice and Kashi left to pick up David Martin we were left exposed.

I said last week that we should stick with KR, but he can’t cry wolf about injuries when he chooses to take gambles as he did today.

They are 40 yards apart the whole game, all tactics.
    Even the missus noticed it, from goal kick they split and go to corner of box and go up pitch in straight line.

It's archaic, was doing this as a coach at Millwall 15 years ago.

• Leuth said:

DRAddick said:

sm said:

Wasn't there but I'm guessing Sarr is the official scapegoat, when I last watched him he was good and everyone keeps raving how much of a revelation he has been. How can all that go in one match?

To be fair to him - just seen the 2nd Gills goal on SkySports and it was miles offside.
    I wasn’t sure when I saw it live but watching the Sky highlights looks onside to me. Who ever is at LB is level with the Gills player. Sarr was more interested in appealing for offside than trying to defend.
    Our LB was in the other half. You're probably thinking of Lennon, who decided he'd watch the cross sail past him. But Eaves was still a yard ahead of him
    Yeah I meant in the LB position at that moment. Still looks about level to me from that angle but its not a great angle.
  • Couldn’t understand why Aribo and KAG didn’t start after the last few games. Both have been bright and positive. Instead, we went with what was probably robinson’s plan for our first choice midfield/forward combo at start of season: Kashi/JFC, Marshall/Reeves/Holmes, Magennis. Can see why he might have been excited to play that, but it wasn’t the right call.

We were poor first half, much better 2nd.

2nd goal- you can’t see it on the Sky highlights, but Sarr let the guy get away from him straight through the middle. Had a looong time to get back level/behind him but didn’t accelerate enough. Atrocious stuff, really.

I appreciate the players’ efforts in 2nd half.

I suggest starting KAG and Aribo in next game.

Marshall much better 2nd half than first.
  • Leuth said:

I mean, Sarr did make a few bad errors. There was a needless free-kick early on, and a bad clearance, but if you hear your own fans booing you, you'd probably make a bad clearance too

Sarr always looks like he has a mistake in him and loses possession too easily. Gives away daft free kicks by rugby tackling players and gets turned too easily. He has the odd 45 minutes when he looks a cultured CB but most of the time for me looks average at this level.
    Expected more given his supposed pedigree.

• My seat is dead level with the D on the covered end penalty area. I was watching right along the line of the cross. The second goal was absolutely onside. The defending was shyte.
  • PWR

Have only just been able to calm down enough to post. That was fucking awful. With a few players back I was feeling positive but that first half was hands down the worst I've seen (and we've been served some utter shite). Sarr and Lennon were positioned so far apart you could drive a bus through our defence and we offfted diddly squat going forward. We made Gills look like Man City.
    Second half, although an improvement was scatter gun and we seem so afraid to take an early shot. Even then with so much possession, Gills stil looked to have the ability to score again if they needed.
    I've been a firm backer of KR but am beginning to think a new owner would be better off clearing the decks and starting again.
    So pissed off
  • My seat is dead level with the D on the covered end penalty area. I was watching right along the line of the cross. The second goal was absolutely onside. The defending was shyte.

Right! My angle was similar. Onside. What the replay doesn’t show is how the guy in the middle/scorer got away from sarr and stayed ahead of him for so long... until the ball hit the back of the net, in fact.
  • Just looked at the table. Only chance we have of getting into the play offs is getting 6th place.

11 points off 5th
    10 points off relegation.

odds on going down ???
  • iamdan said:

Forster-Caskey and Best now injured again, Best one looks bad says Karl Robinson @BBCLondonSport #cafc

Hasn’t Leon Best’s contract ended now?
    Not yet. Anyway if injured for us we have a duty of care so will probably be paying him until fit again in 2019.
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:

PWR

Have only just been able to calm down enough to post. That was fucking awful. With a few players back I was feeling positive but that first half was hands down the worst I've seen (and we've been served some utter shite). Sarr and Lennon were positioned so far apart you could drive a bus through our defence and we offfted diddly squat going forward. We made Gills look like Man City.
    Second half, although an improvement was scatter gun and we seem so afraid to take an early shot. Even then with so much possession, Gills stil looked to have the ability to score again if they needed.
    I've been a firm backer of KR but am beginning to think a new owner would be better off clearing the decks and starting again.
    So pissed off

I don't think there is a cats chance in hell that KR would remain as Manager under new ownership, exactly as it should be.
  • Just looked at the table. Only chance we have of getting into the play offs is getting 6th place.

11 points off 5th
    10 points off relegation.

odds on going down ???

It's going take a spectacular upturn in form, starting now given we are one match (and no points) into a supposedly easier three games. Form suggests another middle of the table, sod-all-to-play-for April again. At best.
  • 17th points off Shrewsbury, I thought they wouldn't be able to keep up the pace?

Didn't Gobinson say at City Addicks that we could catch everyone except maybe Wigan.
  • Robinson seemed to take offence at me telling him, that we should be playing two up front all the time as he walked off at the end, he motioned he wanted to meet me outside, silly twat. How the hell does he continue with 1 up front and 5 in midfield it gets so clogged up, the difference and space it allowed Marshall and Holmes made us look dangerous, but far too little too late.

• Welcome home Tutt-Tutt! Excellent stuff as always.
  • We did not improved the 2nd half. We huffed and puffed, they gave up on midfield and parked the bus but if we got anywhere near a chance it was random/accidental.
    We haven't got bad players, and they all tried hard.
    We've got a manager who may also try hard but instills confusion and tactically is not up to the job...
  • I nearly caved in and went today, it sounds like I dodged a bullet.
  • I nearly caved in and went today, it sounds like I dodged a bullet.

Left after 35 minutes. I think that's me done until a takeover goes through. Sick of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tutt-Tutt said:

First game since Wigan at home in September, as I've been doing some opposition scouting down in the non leagues.

That first half performance was shocking.

We started with a 4-2-3-1, against Gillingham's 4-4-2 Diamond. Robinson made a point to say that he went to see Gillingham play last Saturday. So how did he manage to get the System, Pattern of Play, and Team selection so wrong? In fact he couldn't have got it more wrong. Maybe he was unlucky and they changed their system from Saturday. But if they didn't, thats scary.

The Central Defence was wide open. The full backs were pushed up and not in position to support the Centre Backs or to cover inside. We had two defensive midfielders, with similar styles, as short passing continuity players, and no long passing ability. The no.10 was a converted wide player, playing between two wingers playing inside, in behind a Centre Forward who was isolated. There was no creativity in the midfield; no-one running in behind to stretch the opposition; and we were caught short of numbers whenever Gillingham attacked. When we had the ball, I assume we were trying to play "Up, Back and Through", although it was not easy to work out. I've seen many non league teams this season who were better prepared and better organised than this, on two nights a week training. What do they work on in training?

At least Robinson had the sense to change it at half-time, to 4-4-2 to 4-2-4, with two orthodox wingers, and support for the Centre Forward in the form of a second striker. We looked much better, attacked in numbers and pinned them in for long periods. Which we should be doing from the off. We were at home FFS!

The managers main job is to get the team selection and tactics right, before the game. It's not easy, especially when you have to rely on scouting reports. But he actually went to see them play on Saturday, and got it so badly wrong. That's scary.

On the positive side, I thought KAG looked like the player who came on at Fulham and ran them ragged a couple of seasons ago. If only he could find some composure inside the box.

Holmes really got at their Right Back in the second half, and is a much better player when staying wide and trying to get in behind, with the occasional diagonal run inside to get in a shot. He ain't a no.10. But he is a handful when he isolates opponents in one-against-one situations.

I've missed these insights from @Tutt-Tutt.

Unfortunately my entirely valid question to my fellow fans today "can anyone explain why we are so shit?" was met with unhelpful responses such as "when a tree falls in a forest, does anyone hear?" So a more technical, less philosophical answer is highly appreciated.
  • SDAddick said:

have we won since Bauer came out of the team?

We've picked up two points since Patrick Bauer last played (Was subbed off in the 2-2 draw with Peterborough)
    Not sure how true this is but heard somewhere we haven’t won a league game since Fosu got injured around a month and a half ago
  • Surprised Sarr is getting so much stick, has played fairly well lately and one bad game has taken him back to the scapegoat status.

I like KR but he is doing himself no favours in the eyes of this potential new ownership. He's needs an experinced head (Curbs?) To offer advice and help him try and improve. Playing 2 up top seems to work better so why not try that regularly with Magennis coming deeper to hold up play with the other striker making the runs in behind!

Saying that big Josh isn't a 15/20+ goalscorer and 100% not a lone striker.

Goes without saying but something needs to change and soon!
  • edited January 2018

SDAddick said:

have we won since Bauer came out of the team?

We've picked up two points since Patrick Bauer last played (Was subbed off in the 2-2 draw with Peterborough)
    Not sure how true this is but heard somewhere we haven’t won a league game since Fosu got injured around a month and a half ago
    Yeah not true... Was missing against Rochdalr when we beat them 2-1 - thats our only win since he's been injured though (last appeared against AFC Wimbledon at the end of October)
  • Could someone please explain what they like about KR?

I've said before that he's to matey with the players ! What they need is a total bollocking!
  • To say that criticism of Sarr has been isolated to this game only is to ignore reality. He looks ropey in almost every game. Some brilliant stuff, too.... but waaaay too many risky moments. This is pointed out in most Match threads.

I want him to do well. I want them all to do well. But you have to say what you see!
  • Could someone please explain what they like about KR?

He's passionate and talks a lot apparently.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

First game since Wigan at home in September, as I've been doing some opposition scouting down in the non leagues.

That first half performance was shocking.

We started with a 4-2-3-1, against Gillingham's 4-4-2 Diamond. Robinson made a point to say that he went to see Gillingham play last Saturday. So how did he manage to get the System, Pattern of Play, and Team selection so wrong? In fact he couldn't have got it more wrong. Maybe he was unlucky and they changed their system from Saturday. But if they didn't, thats scary.

The Central Defence was wide open. The full backs were pushed up and not in position to support the Centre Backs or to cover inside. We had two defensive midfielders, with similar styles, as short passing continuity players, and no long passing ability. The no.10 was a converted wide player, playing between two wingers playing inside, in behind a Centre Forward who was isolated. There was no creativity in the midfield; no-one running in behind to stretch the opposition; and we were caught short of numbers whenever Gillingham attacked. When we had the ball, I assume we were trying to play "Up, Back and Through", although it was not easy to work out. I've seen many non league teams this season who were better prepared and better organised than this, on two nights a week training. What do they work on in training?

At least Robinson had the sense to change it at half-time, to 4-4-2 to 4-2-4, with two orthodox wingers, and support for the Centre Forward in the form of a second striker. We looked much better, attacked in numbers and pinned them in for long periods. Which we should be doing from the off. We were at home FFS!

The managers main job is to get the team selection and tactics right, before the game. It's not easy, especially when you have to rely on scouting reports. But he actually went to see them play on Saturday, and got it so badly wrong. That's scary.

On the positive side, I thought KAG looked like the player who came on at Fulham and ran them ragged a couple of seasons ago. If only he could find some composure inside the box.

Holmes really got at their Right Back in the second half, and is a much better player when staying wide and trying to get in behind, with the occasional diagonal run inside to get in a shot. He ain't a no.10. But he is a handful when he isolates opponents in one-against-one situations.

Great to see your insights on CL again, T-T.
  • Eaves was superb: the way he set up their first is something the lumpen Magennis could only dream of. Good touch for a big man as well.