Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Discussion: Charlton v Oldham

Comments

• addick05 said:

After reflection the performance was extremely poor, but I really hope it was caused by everyone being nervous after not winning in almost two months.

Oldham, were very poor and will be frustrated that they missed two good chances, which were excellent saves by Amos.

Plenty groans of frustration by Charlton fans throughout the match, caused by square passes between Kashi, Lennon and Bauer. In addition to, us getting further and further deeper in the second half.

Magennis was never involved in the game. Ended up playing left wing towards the end with KAG up top.

Lennon’s forward passing was very poor and regularly gave the ball away.

Overall, very relieved to get the three points. Fortunately, we have two winnerable matches coming up whilst waiting for Fosu, Pearce and Solly to return.

And when they return is that going to solve the seemingly insolvable problem....scoring goals!?
    I guess you’re always more likely to score goals with your best team out.

We can’t agree on what our best team or formation is though.
    Not sure Magennis is the answer to our goal drought, much as I admired his defensive headers yesterday.
  • Not only another sub standard game but a west ham fan wins the cross bar challenge and walks away with 6.5 K.
  • The problem is not that this was a rubbish game and a rubbish performance but more that we knew it was going to be beforehand. The sugar to sweeten the pill was that we got three points, but we will lose and draw more than we win playing like that and that is exactly what we have been doing of late.
  • JamesSeed said:

Sometimes I read posts on here and I wonder if there are some Palace or Millwall fans using aliases and having a laugh.

Sadly, they just have to look at the state the club is in to have a laugh without the need to come to this forum.
  • purdis said:

Possibly and probably the worst 2nd half of football I’ve seen since Wrexham 0 Charlton 0 at The Racecourse in 1983.

15 seconds of magic from Mavididi, a promising cracker from Ricky early doors, 90 minutes of sh*te.

The fans are turning away in droves and it is not just because of Roland - the football standard is simply atrocious and surely the players must recognise the need to entertain, work hard with good movement and have a go at the opposition - that’s the way to get the fans onside.

I simply do not get the tactics - Kashi sitting so deep he’s the middle man in a back three with the two central defenders wide either side of him yet we try and play out from the back when we have no central midfield because of it.

Yes, we were on top first half without creating anywhere near enough.
    Yes, we were shockingly bad 2nd half and how sh*te must Oldham be if they couldn’t score against our lot in such poor form?

Well done Amos for two top, point blank saves, the second after Lennon got bossed by their striker. Lucky for us, Eion Doyle was missing for Oldham because he would undoubtedly have buried at least one of these chances.

The sooner we get Tariq Fosu back, the better.

KAG should have hit the ball first time instead of taking a touch - it was a goal on a plate for him.

I go to Charlton because I love the Club and it’s a few hours of escape for me and I meet my lad there - we enjoy the day and we are realistic - we are not expecting to see Manchester City but we do expect to see our beloved players have a go, have a decent system that encourages good movement and support - yesterday we got none of these things.

I saw on Twitter that on this day in 2006 Dennis Rommedahl, Matt Holland and Darren Bent had scored for us - how good would it be to have players of that standard once again!

THIS. The fact that going to see Charlton includes having time with my son is now the main reason that I go. Little did I know that 10 years ago when I first took him (and his siblings over the years) that it was have such a influence on our lives. He lives & breathes Charlton and although the other 2 didn't get the bug I feel that that I have enriched our lives for the moments we share during those (at the moment) painful & dreary games.
    Can understand this, as I loved going with my Dad as a kid, and as a young woman too. Dread to think what he would think of the play the last half a dozen games though.
  • mogodon said:

JamesSeed said:

Sometimes I read posts on here and I wonder if there are some Palace or Millwall fans using aliases and having a laugh.

Sadly, they just have to look at the state the club is in to have a laugh without the need to come to this forum.
    We’ll be back, mark my words!
  • edited January 2018
    The game it’s self was barely a 4 out of 10 In terms of Quality when you consider that I had interest at both ends of the pitch at the same time that in itself was difficult to accept

The play from CAFC with the exception of around 8-10minutes total was absolutely shit
    The other 8-10 were just about acceptable

Oldham first half woeful and second half should have at least equalised and maybe won if you base it on % possession and areas of play 2nd half

It’s clear to all that the takeover is now impacting the thought process of players and managing team

But they need to deal with it as there are no new players coming in unless it goes through in the next three weeks

Personally I don’t see that happening but it could very well happen in a blink of an eye

But we are still at that point it’s who blinks first and the posturing needs to stop and the next move be made

Robbo is finished with us either RD will fire him or the new people will bring their own ideas and mgmt

1 point of the playoffs currently but woefully out of form and class, leadership and quality
  • I don't think anyone has mentioned corners. When we have the pace of Da Silva, Malvididi Marshall and KAG in the side, we revert the the old favourite eleven back for a corner. I mean Mark and Jay are little taller than my mum. Put them on the halfway line and thats at least three opponents out of our box. It's not rocket science. FFS try it once and see what happens. It's called being proactive.

Been mentioned a few times (especially by me) - the defence of corners is coached by Jacko (and proud of it he is as he says we haven't let many in).

I am very firmly in your camp. Put at least 1 in an attacking position & I would sometimes go with 2. As you say, Da Silva & Marshall are short & aren't going to add much to our defensive prowess, but definitely have speed & trickery when going forward. Why not use that to our advantage. Funny how everyone is saying that Magennis is great at helping out with our defence at corners but we don't want to do the opposite & put the shortest & quickest players up the pitch.

said it many times. FIFA coaching badges are not worth a jot.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    Can anyone describe the second Amos save? I can only remember the one at his near post early 2nd half...hit against his chest.
  • edited January 2018
    With corners, you don't always have to have a man up waiting for the ball, but have a plan to break with pace. I think KAG did this from a Gillingham corner on new year's day for instance. But you don't want to have th eball constantly pinged back which having players too deep and just clearing it out can cause.
  • Simonsen said:

Can anyone describe the second Amos save? I can only remember the one at his near post early 2nd half...hit against his chest.

It was a one on one in the first half I think.
  • A win is a win.

Sometimes you have to win ugly.
  • Simonsen said:

It was a one on one in the first half I think.
    Was it? I honestly can't remember that.
  • Dazzler21 said:

A win is a win.

We didn't win ugly. We won Mavadidy
  • Sometimes when you are on a poor run you need a couple of things - firstly an ugly win to change the tide, then the next game being more than winnable.
  • Sometimes when you are on a poor run you need a couple of things - firstly an ugly win to change the tide, then the next game being more than winnable.

To be fair, I would've taken a win over a performance yesterday because of the bad run. Generally though I'd prefer to be entertained (I actually enjoyed the 2nd half v Gills).
  • Think Amos made a point-blank save after about 85 minutes btw
  • Simonsen said:

Sometimes when you are on a poor run you need a couple of things - firstly an ugly win to change the tide, then the next game being more than winnable.

To be fair, I would've taken a win over a performance yesterday because of the bad run. Generally though I'd prefer to be entertained (I actually enjoyed the 2nd half v Gills).
    I did say after the Gills game that if I was a neutral, I would have enjoyed that game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

A win is a win.

I agree with that but ? Before Saturday for nine games we have been drawing and losing ugly ! How much Quasimodo can we take ?

had this in spades just over a week ago & we f**ked it up. Ground out a 0-0 away to the league leaders which must have had the players as high as a kite & then went into a New Years day game at home against a team in the bottom 6. What happened next can be read on here.

If you can't get confidence from that then you'll never will. Scraping a 1-0 win with your backs to the wall for 45 mins isn't really going to get them going imo...........and the managers demeanour atm is rubbing off on the players.
  • Leuth said:

Think Amos made a point-blank save after about 85 minutes btw

And I honestly can't remember that either.
  • Dazzler21 said:

A win is a win.

I agree with that but ? Before Saturday for nine games we have been drawing and losing ugly ! How much Quasimodo can we take ?
    I'll take Quasimodo wins every week if 1. Duchatelet fucks off and 2. We get promoted.
  • Everyone[including me] has said over and over it is the lack of goals that has cost us.I just looked at the league table and Shrewsbury have scored the same number as us but have 14 points more.So maybe it is our inability to win 1-0 that has cost us.
  • timken said:

Everyone[including me] has said over and over it is the lack of goals that has cost us.I just looked at the league table and Shrewsbury have scored the same number as us but have 14 points more.So maybe it is our inability to win 1-0 that has cost us.

And a shit defence.
  • timken said:

Everyone[including me] has said over and over it is the lack of goals that has cost us.I just looked at the league table and Shrewsbury have scored the same number as us but have 14 points more.So maybe it is our inability to win 1-0 that has cost us.

And a shit defence.
    In all seriousness nearly 50% of our wins have been 1 nil
  • Defiantly not on drugs.

I watch all the games on IFollow as live in Milan. That said I have seen us ‘live’ four times this season.

I watch the game with sound down and hence don’t have the influence of any external factors. I’m not sure if that makes me more ‘positive’??? It certainly means I make my own mind up on what I am watching.

I have always thought myself as a good judge of player.

I stand by that KAG is important to us and will be increasingly so as Josh continues to be a blunt force upfront. His best work is done when defending corners. He would be a terrific centre half.

I couldn’t help but think about you having the sound down. There’s no commentary on ifollow.

I’m assuming you don’t pay for Valley-Pass and then turn the sound down.

Sorry if it seems like I’m being a dick, I just could help but linger on this point
  • still need a striker
    still dont look great
    still roland is a wanker
    still a worrying low attendance, are some fans lost forever? as the longer the carry on goes on more and more will stay away
  • still need a striker
    still dont look great
    still roland is a wanker
    still a worrying low attendance, are some fans lost forever? as the longer the carry on goes on more and more will stay away

The attendance was abysmal, not sure what it was announced as but seemed very low even for the time of year.