Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Discussion: Charlton v Oldham

Comments

• sorry to harp on about this but 9 out of shrewsburys 16 wins have either been 1-0 or 2-0 so it seems our defensive frailties are just as culpable as out crap forward line.
  • My boys' favourite moment today was the Oldham substitution of Fanny for Duffus. Laughing for ages after that.

haha yes , my boys too , thought it was hilarious
  • edited January 2018
    se9addick said:

still need a striker
    still dont look great
    still roland is a wanker
    still a worrying low attendance, are some fans lost forever? as the longer the carry on goes on more and more will stay away

The attendance was abysmal, not sure what it was announced as but seemed very low even for the time of year.
    Attendance: 9,972 (399 from Oldham) on the OS but i think closer to 5500 meaning 21611 empty seats
  • se9addick said:

still need a striker
    still dont look great
    still roland is a wanker
    still a worrying low attendance, are some fans lost forever? as the longer the carry on goes on more and more will stay away

The attendance was abysmal, not sure what it was announced as but seemed very low even for the time of year.
    Attendance: 9,972 (399 from Oldham) on the OS but i think closer to 5500 meaning 21611 empty seats
    Target 20k achieved?
  • timken said:

sorry to harp on about this but 9 out of shrewsburys 16 wins have either been 1-0 or 2-0 so it seems our defensive frailties are just as culpable as out crap forward line.

Indeed - if we can keep a clean sheet we're more than likely to win the game and that's what gets sides promoted. How many 0-0s have we had this season?

• You can keep as many clean sheets as you like but if you don't score you wont won. 46 0-0's will probably see you relegated. Scoring goals is more important than not conceeding.
  • You can keep as many clean sheets as you like but if you don't score you wont won. 46 0-0's will probably see you relegated. Scoring goals is more important than not conceeding.

I kind of agree and disagree.

Don't score - you CANNOT win (bar forfeit games).

Don't concede and you cannot lose. (You only need 1 goal to win a game)

Don't score and don't concede you'll draw.

Score and Concede you might win, you might draw and you might lose.

We're not Barcelona, we don't have the quality to bag 5 goals a game in the league (especially as our league is much more competitive)

From this I'd prefer we could get a clean sheet as a bare minimum for a few games. Win or Draw that'll do wonders for confidence and (bar forfeit games) we simply won't lose.

I think this is has been our intention lately, then when we get stung and concede we struggle to right ourselves.
  • I've seen us play Oldham at home ten times (starting with the Aizlewood V sign game in 1984) . Practically every game has been shit.....but we haven't lost any of them...6 wins 4 draws.

If you keep a clean sheet you are guaranteed a point and more often than not you get all three.

If you score a goal you're are guaranteed nothing...

• Powell's side in 2011/12 scored 10 goals less than Sheff Utd who came third and didn't get promoted and also less than Mk Dons, who only finished 5th, but had the best defensive record in the league.

Defence and clean sheets is what wins sides promotion...
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn't the answer that we need a decent defence and a decent attack - at the moment I'm not sure we have either!
  • timken said:

sorry to harp on about this but 9 out of shrewsburys 16 wins have either been 1-0 or 2-0 so it seems our defensive frailties are just as culpable as out crap forward line.

Powell's side in 2011/12 scored 10 goals less than Sheff Utd who came third and didn't get promoted and also less than Mk Dons, who only finished 5th, but had the best defensive record in the league.

Was just about to quote the second comment myself

Remember Gary Madine tweeting saying that we didn't deserve the title (Same opinion as most Sheffield Wednesday fans) because we were boring and won too many games 1-0... Am sorry but if that's what wins you promotion or a trophy then fair enough as you'll long be remembered for winning something rather than how you managed it
  • timken said:

Powell's side in 2011/12 scored 10 goals less than Sheff Utd who came third and didn't get promoted and also less than Mk Dons, who only finished 5th, but had the best defensive record in the league.

Remember Gary Madine tweeting saying that we didn't deserve the title (Same opinion as most Sheffield Wednesday fans) because we were boring and won too many games 1-0... Am sorry but if that's what wins you promotion or a trophy then fair enough as you'll long be remembered for winning something rather than how you managed it
    I understand your point & all the others above. A solid defence is a must & a few clean sheets, or more importantly, not conceding the first goal is very much welcome at the moment.

However, if you NEVER score the best you're going to get is a 0-0. In a league season that is 46 points & most likely relegation. Ergo, scoring is more important than conceding.

• timken said:

I understand your point & all the others above. A solid defence is a must & a few clean sheets, or more importantly, not conceding the first goal is very much welcome at the moment.

However, if you NEVER score the best you're going to get is a 0-0. In a league season that is 46 points & most likely relegation. Ergo, scoring is more important than conceding.
    Trouble is though you always will score and you always will concede... Its simply a case that if you want to be challenging at the right end then you need to be doing the former and lot more and the latter a lot less
  • Thought the Oldham fans were good and created a decent noise. MOTM goes to the lad who went shirtless all game! Mental, although he did have a scarf to keep him warm. Saw him on the station post match (shirt on at this point) and he was in good spirits, singing about the check-a-trade trophy haha! Fair play, I hope they enjoy the rest of the season. Proper fans.
  • se9addick said:

still need a striker
    still dont look great
    still roland is a wanker

Stockport County got a similar size crowd (over 5000) for their recent fixture against Salford in the National League North - really demonstrates how far our support has declined.
  • se9addick said:

still need a striker
    still dont look great
    still roland is a wanker

Stockport County got a similar size crowd (over 5000) for their recent fixture against Salford in the National League North - really demonstrates how far our support has declined.
    Unless theirs also included no shows.
  • edited January 2018
    Arsenal in the "Invincible" season in the league had 15 clean sheets of those 14 were wins.

They only scored one goal in 10 games winning 3 of those.

We were one of the 7 draws at 1-1.

Arsenal conceded, yet won in 15 games.

Their most common scoreline was 2-1. (10 times)

So maybe Golfie has a bit of a point.

But we certainly don't need to score many each week.

If we concede a maximum of 1 or less we have a good chance of still doing well.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Arsenal in the "Invincible" season in the league had 15 clean sheets of those 14 were wins.

I not disagree with this. We rarely don't score at home (Wigan & Pompey are the only 2 I can think of) and even when we are playing dreadful (like Saturday) we do invariably score. However, too often this season we have conceded first & I don't think we've come from behind to win a league game this season (although Golfie Jnr thought we had but couldn't remember who against) and one a few occasions we've scored first, not gone one to score again & then been pegged back (Blackpool springs to mind). Just sometimes it would be nice to be 2-0 or 3-0 with 15 mins to go & feeling comfortable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dunno how this has taken so long to register with me...
    Official attendance under 10,000 on Kids for a Quid day.
    Well below average for even this piss poor season.
    There it is in black and white roland you delusional old berk you have comprehensively broken our club, you can virtually not even give away tickets to your toxic pantomime. Just sign it over to someone with an atom of credibility and integrity. No fanfare, none of this "undisclosed fee" bullshit, just walk away and give us a chance to forget you while spend the next decade or so repairing your wanton negligent deluded vandalism.
  • se9addick said:

Isn't the answer that we need a decent defence and a decent attack - at the moment I'm not sure we have either!

plus quality across the midfield
    oh yeah and a goalie of our own

apart from those coupla vacancies our squad's tickety boo
  • Bauer and Konsa was fine as a pair too. I suspect Bauer and Sarr would be as well, but once we lost Bauer and Pearce we have looked shaky. Infact, we've only kept 2 clean sheets with Pearce, (both alongside Bauer) but have kept 4 clean sheets with Bauer but no Pearce.
  • Bauer and Konsa was fine as a pair too. I suspect Bauer and Sarr would be as well, but once we lost Bauer and Pearce we have looked shaky. Infact, we've only kept 2 clean sheets with Pearce, (both alongside Bauer) but have kept 4 clean sheets with Bauer but no Pearce.

Bauer is underrated because he is fuss free. You always notice Sarr and to a lesser extent Konsa because they go from the sublime to the crass
  • wmcf123 said:

Bauer and Konsa was fine as a pair too. I suspect Bauer and Sarr would be as well, but once we lost Bauer and Pearce we have looked shaky. Infact, we've only kept 2 clean sheets with Pearce, (both alongside Bauer) but have kept 4 clean sheets with Bauer but no Pearce.

Bauer is underrated because he is fuss free. You always notice Sarr and to a lesser extent Konsa because they go from the sublime to the crass
    Bauer and Konsa is probably our best pair, imo. Gives us a balance of aerial power/strength/positional sense/game reading from Bauer and recovery pace and ball playing ability from Konsa, not that Bauer is exactly Phil Chapple with the ball at his feet.
  • I'd like to see Pearce and Sarr... And old head, no nonsense defender who organises is exactly what Sarr needs alongside him
  • Dazzler21 said:

I not disagree with this. We rarely don't score at home (Wigan & Pompey are the only 2 I can think of) and even when we are playing dreadful (like Saturday) we do invariably score. However, too often this season we have conceded first & I don't think we've come from behind to win a league game this season (although Golfie Jnr thought we had but couldn't remember who against) and one a few occasions we've scored first, not gone one to score again & then been pegged back (Blackpool springs to mind). Just sometimes it would be nice to be 2-0 or 3-0 with 15 mins to go & feeling comfortable.
    We beat Rochdale 2 1 having trailed early on a cold November Tuesday.
  • Dazzler21 said:

We beat Rochdale 2 1 having trailed early on a cold November Tuesday.
    That's the one. He did say that we'd won from a losing position once but I couldn't remember who - probably because I still haven't thawed out from that particular game.
  • Sarr needs a decent centre back next to him. He looks much better when he isn't the senior partner. I would be interested to see how he plays with Pearce.