Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell to Southend? (Confirmed P4)

Comments

• Options

Bowyer is the man in possession and doing a fine job and no one in their right mind would want that to change that and SCP is in the Charlton past

But saying shit like “totally unproven manager” about Sir Chris Powell will always be called out .

Like I said it was the wrong choice of words.
  • Options
    Maybe :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2018

If he takes Southend down and doesn't get a gig for a couple of seasons, we'll reconvene
  • Options
    Move on, Bowyer and Jacko are the new dream team, with the toxic ownership and the squad we have they are both doing a wonderful job.
  • Options

If he takes Southend down and doesn't get a gig for a couple of seasons, we'll reconvene
    Southend’s overall wage bill in their last published accounts (16/17) was £4.7m - Charlton’s was £11.1m. It makes a huge difference. Or should!

Nobody would seriously want to remove Bowyer or change the existing set-up whatever Powell’s merits, past or present, but Powell did outstandingly in the Championship in 12/13 despite being starved of resources. Bowyer has never managed there, so has no comparable record to evaluate.
    Take your point, but I still cant understand why it would be anyone's dream for CP to come back at this moment in time as Manager or DOF
  • Options

Southend’s overall wage bill in their last published accounts (16/17) was £4.7m - Charlton’s was £11.1m. It makes a huge difference. Or should!

Nobody would seriously want to remove Bowyer or change the existing set-up whatever Powell’s merits, past or present, but Powell did outstandingly in the Championship in 12/13 despite being starved of resources. Bowyer has never managed there, so has no comparable record to evaluate.
    All undeniably true but he didn’t push on his career at Huddersfield and was sacked. He’s doing a decent enough job at Southend and it’s early days for him there but in the next season or two he needs to push Southend beyond the sum of its parts in order to be considered a catch by other clubs. Would I take Sir Chris back over Lee Bowyer. Not a chance.
  • Options

All undeniably true but he didn’t push on his career at Huddersfield and was sacked. He’s doing a decent enough job at Southend and it’s early days for him there but in the next season or two he needs to push Southend beyond the sum of its parts in order to be considered a catch by other clubs. Would I take Sir Chris back over Lee Bowyer. Not a chance.
    Let’s hope that remains the choice beyond May.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Any idea roughly how the wage bill compares to Southend at present? Appreciate the figures published but that really just highlights how difficult the job was for Slade. Be interesting to know out of the £11.1m how much of that was on the likes of Vetokele or Teixiera for example players who couldn't be shifted just draining the wage bill.

I expect our current wage bill is considerably less than 16/17 and a lot closer to Southend's now or at least what it was in 16/17
  • Options

Any idea roughly how the wage bill compares to Southend at present? Appreciate the figures published but that really just highlights how difficult the job was for Slade. Be interesting to know out of the £11.1m how much of that was on the likes of Vetokele or Teixiera for example players who couldn't be shifted just draining the wage bill.

I expect our current wage bill is considerably less than 16/17 and a lot closer to Southend's now or at least what it was in 16/17
    The gap will be smaller but my guess is ours is still double theirs. Vetokele is still here, for a start, but wasn’t in the wage bill for most of 16/17.
  • Options

The gap will be smaller but my guess is ours is still double theirs. Vetokele is still here, for a start, but wasn’t in the wage bill for most of 16/17.
    Weren't we still subsidising wages for players loaned out like Vetokele? I thought that was half the problem with the wage bill players loaned out and we were still covering a good chunk of the wages?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Yes, fair point, but you can’t claim him - or Sarr - as a reduction in the current year compared to 16/17. They will be a higher cost in 18/19.

In any case, my point is that Southend cannot compete in general not just against Charlton. They are pretty much where you’d expect them to be.
  • Options

Weren't we still subsidising wages for players loaned out like Vetokele? I thought that was half the problem with the wage bill players loaned out and we were still covering a good chunk of the wages?
    Hi Martin...... I have just PM’d you.

• Options
    Our wage bill is partially a reflection of past mistakes as it is of the worth of the squad, and especially of our previous Championship status

I imagine our highest earners will be the Championship players such as Sarr, Bauer, Vetekele and Solly, the first 3 especially being external signings. If Sarr and Vetekele had (permanently) left last summer it would have significantly reduced our wage bill, and I'm sure Bowyer could have brought in suitable replacements for a fraction of their wages
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Our wage bill is partially a reflection of past mistakes as it is of the worth of the squad, and especially of our previous Championship status

I imagine our highest earners will be the Championship players such as Sarr, Bauer, Vetekele and Solly, the first 3 especially being external signings. If Sarr and Vetekele had (permanently) left last summer it would have significantly reduced our wage bill, and I'm sure Bowyer could have brought in suitable replacements for a fraction of their wages

Indeed, but they are not getting £1m a year each. By which I mean they only account for a fraction of the difference in total.
  • Options
    Surely those 3 cant be on much less than a mill a year, especially Vetokele. Al 3 were sgned in the championship.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Surely those 3 cant be on much less than a mill a year, especially Vetokele. Al 3 were sgned in the championship.

I doubt any are on more than 12k per week
    So you are looking at at most just over £600,000 per year and Sarr I would guess is probably on less than Igor, I would guess

Igor-£12,000
    BFG-£10,000
    Sarr-£10,000
  • Options
    To be on £1 million a year you are looking at just over 19K per week

No way we giving anyone anywhere near that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To be on £1 million a year you are looking at just over 19K per week

No way we giving anyone anywhere near that

Personally believe Igor is on around 15k, you are probably abour right with Sarr and Bauer.
  • Options
    Heard Igor on £19k per week , source friend of a friend of a friend
  • Options

So you are looking at at most just over £600,000 per year and Sarr I would guess is probably on less than Igor, I would guess

Igor-£12,000
    BFG-£10,000
    Sarr-£10,000
    I'd imagine it's closer to Igor: 20, BFG: 15 and Sarr: 12.

Wages in the Championship are crazy and all those player were signed with a view to getting us promoted, also don't discount the issue of who negotiated those contracts, she's already admitted she allowed herself to get fleeced by agents.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Igor-£12,000
    BFG-£10,000
    Sarr-£10,000

Wages in the Championship are crazy and all those player were signed with a view to getting us promoted, also don't discount the issue of who negotiated those contracts, she's already admitted she allowed herself to get fleeced by agents.
    That’s more like it although £20k for Igor is a little much, and Sarr is on more than Bauer.

I’d say they’re costing us around £2.2mil between them a year in wages.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Igor-£12,000
    BFG-£10,000
    Sarr-£10,000

That’s more like it although £20k for Igor is a little much, and Sarr is on more than Bauer.

Money well spent.......
  • Options

Sage said:

Igor-£12,000
    BFG-£10,000
    Sarr-£10,000

Money well spent.......
    Whoever negotiated those was a genius... Katrien wotsername? She's moved onto mahoosive things apparently!
  • Options
    Bows is doing a great job, which could be unfortunate if we were not promoted this year as others will have noted his success.

CP could be the next best choice if things do not go as planned.
  • Options
    In a new petition, the Gazette official public record website recorded that a new bid by HMRC, "claiming to be Creditors of the Company", will be heard at the High Court on Feb 6.
  • Options
    SCP to Luton = compo for Southend = tax man paid.