Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell to Southend? (Confirmed P4)

Comments

• Options
    Did Powell play 4-4-2 today? I personally think in this League it is the way forward if you have decent attackers like Simon Cox and Mark Antoine Fortune.

In the champ then maybe 442 is no good against the expansive rich sides aspiring for the Prem, but in this League with dodgy defenders then I think it is goal rich.

Anyway, Powell needs to be left alone to rebuild his reputation imo. Had he had proper backing from Roland (ie not Thomas Driesen inspired transfer targets) then he may have taken Charlton to the Prem. Unfortunately he didn't get that backing and was shafted. He then was indifferent at the Alf and has unfairly been typecast as a mediocre manager, perhaps heightened by Wagner's subsequent opposite levels of luck and slightly greater support he has received from Dean Hoyle.

Overall I just don't get the feeling that now is the right time for him to return to Charlton.
  • Options
    Southend will finish 6th, us 7th, you heard it here first.
  • Options
    Plymouth are the form team in league 1, at the rate they are going they could easily creep into the play offs.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Won his first four games with us then was terrible.

Fluked league one the next season playing boring football. Lucky to have Yann, Stephens, Morrison etc bought for him by Dennis Wise.

Then finished in a false 9th position.

Next season we saw the real Powell. Lots of excuses made but history shows Jimenez and Slater were great owners who backed him all the way.

When he need M Duchatelet to explain 442 to him and couldn't see how good Thuram and Polish Pete he had to go.

Move on

I agree with you. What a scumbag that Powell and varney are.

Roland4lyf
  • Options

Redrobo said:

bellz2002 said:

I'm very happy for him but very sad for us. Still should never have been sacked by Roland. Sir Chris Powell forever.

Powell should have got the bullet IMMEDIATELY the Belgians took over. Our position in the league coupled with new ownership bullets the existing manager says that would have been one of the few things they could have done with few arguement.

This needs to go over new ground as has been done to death, in the same breath I realise my view is in the minority.
    Done to death but you decided that repeating some old shit you said before was worthwhile?
    Apologies for not remembering some old shit I had posted before.

Although of course you would not remember the shit I have posted before about Powell coming back here to galvanise the fan base and finish the job he was not able to do before.

I come back on this thread to find you quoting something else you have said in the past, and yet you are the one complaining that it has been done to death.

Your views have obviously been done to death so no need to post again, but do please feel free to come on and read any new and fresh posts.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Go back to 2001, 25 years in to my football watching life and for the first time since 1964 we found ourselves with a full international England player on our hands .
    If at that moment in time you weren’t filled with immense pride as SCP entered The Villa Park pitch in an England top then I pity you, first England game for me in ages that was and for one reason only and it was emotional and the fella found a little spot in my heart that’s grown a bit since !
    If you don’t feel it for this fella then I guess you’re missing out on a beautiful feeling that footballing love can give you .

There was a poster of Powelly in his England kit in the program at the next home game. Stayed on my wall for years. Still have it.
    I sat next to Chris at a Back to The Valley anniversary dinner when Kevin Keegan, the England manager at the time, was the main speaker. He singled out Chris in his speech saying something along the lines of 'I'm hearing good things about Chris Powell. People are saying I should pick him at left back. Where are you Chris?' CP stood up and took a bow. Sure enough it wasn't that long before he made his England debut. And a pretty good debut it was too. Lovely fella, and a proper football man as well. Really pleased that it's going so well for him at Southend.
    Nothing to do with Keegan though as it was Sven that picked Powell :wink:
  • Options
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Go back to 2001, 25 years in to my football watching life and for the first time since 1964 we found ourselves with a full international England player on our hands .
    If at that moment in time you weren’t filled with immense pride as SCP entered The Villa Park pitch in an England top then I pity you, first England game for me in ages that was and for one reason only and it was emotional and the fella found a little spot in my heart that’s grown a bit since !
    If you don’t feel it for this fella then I guess you’re missing out on a beautiful feeling that footballing love can give you .

There was a poster of Powelly in his England kit in the program at the next home game. Stayed on my wall for years. Still have it.
    I sat next to Chris at a Back to The Valley anniversary dinner when Kevin Keegan, the England manager at the time, was the main speaker. He singled out Chris in his speech saying something along the lines of 'I'm hearing good things about Chris Powell. People are saying I should pick him at left back. Where are you Chris?' CP stood up and took a bow. Sure enough it wasn't that long before he made his England debut. And a pretty good debut it was too. Lovely fella, and a proper football man as well. Really pleased that it's going so well for him at Southend.
    Nothing to do with Keegan though as it was Sven that picked Powell :wink:
    Yes, ironically.
  • Options
    Hit the ground running and when Chris is happy and gets some backing will do a great job. When the cash wasn't there to strengthen the team and Simon Church was recruited from a park and Marvin Sordell who's career had stalled were brought into the side at the last moment CP lost his confidence and Joie de Vivre. To go from the spivs to Duchatelet your wouldn't wish on a person like Chris who cared so much for Cafc and the fans. I can think of worse scenario than Powell being back at Cafc with a decent budget to bring in players. Proberly can't happen now but Chris will always have unfinished business at the valley. Good luck to the 100 plus points man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018

Hit the ground running and when Chris is happy and gets some backing will do a great job. When the cash wasn't there to strengthen the team and Simon Church was recruited from a park and Marvin Sordell who's career had stalled were brought into the side at the last moment CP lost his confidence and Joie de Vivre. To go from the spivs to Duchatelet your wouldn't wish on a person like Chris who cared so much for Cafc and the fans. I can think of worse scenario than Powell being back at Cafc with a decent budget to bring in players. Proberly can't happen now but Chris will always have unfinished business at the valley. Good luck to the 100 plus points man.

I think you have a good point there. A strike force of Sordell and Church is utterly depressing. I'll never quite understand how Sordell got a move to the Premier League (via Burnley) after his season here.

If I recall correctly - and even if I do, it's most likely little more than a rumour - Sordell was less than complementary about Powell. That to me suggests Powell knew full well that his options up-top were shit.

Still, I see Sordell is somehow still plying his trade a league above us; tearing it up with 6 goals in 45 appearances. Also quite surprised to see Churchy back in League One, after making 8 appearances for two different teams in the 18 months, without a single goal to his name.

F*ck me, our options up top were dire, weren't they?
  • Options
    I drove past Roots Hall a little while ago. It seemed a lot more crowded than usual. I know Portsmouth usually take a lot away, but I think that Powellmania is sweeping the town.

If only we had an owner with the foresight to employ a local hero and let him get on with his job. Sigh.
  • Options
    They're winning 1-0 already.
  • Options
    2-0 now...
  • Options
    I said it before..... they will sneak into the play off's, but who will they replace :neutral:
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I said it before..... they will sneak into the play off's, but who will they replace :neutral:

Think Plymouth might have a word about that
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    In the 8 matches before hiring Powell, Southend had lost 7.

Since Southend hired Powell, they have....

W 3-2
    W 1-0
    W 3-1
    D 0-0
    W 3-1
    -----
    4 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses
    scored 10
    allowed 4
    13 points of 15.

Southend were playing worse than we were. If we had new owners and he had just accomplished that here, we would be planning our promotion celebration.
  • Options

W 3-2
    W 1-0
    W 3-1
    D 0-0
    W 3-1
    -----
    4 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses
    scored 10
    allowed 4
    13 points of 15.

Southend were playing worse than we were. If we had new owners and he had just accomplished that here, we would be planning our promotion celebration.

"allowed" ????? I think you mean conceded. This is not soccer but football, English style.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

W 3-2
    W 1-0
    W 3-1
    D 0-0
    W 3-1
    -----
    4 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses
    scored 10
    allowed 4
    13 points of 15.

Not exactly had an easy run of games either.

They've beaten Scunthorpe (5th), Peterborough (10th), Wigan (2nd but top when they played) and Pompey (9th).
    Bizarrely the easiest of their fixtures (Bury) was the only draw.
  • Options
    So in 5 games they've already scored 3+.

This season we've scored 3+ 7 times, or 4 times after excluding cup games (Truro, Fulham u21s and Swansea u21s).
  • Options

W 3-2
    W 1-0
    W 3-1
    D 0-0
    W 3-1
    -----
    4 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses
    scored 10
    allowed 4
    13 points of 15.

Not exactly had an easy run of games either.

They've beaten Scunthorpe (5th), Peterborough (10th), Wigan (2nd but top when they played) and Pompey (9th).
    Bizarrely the easiest of their fixtures (Bury) was the only draw.
    Bury are on a bit of a roll though. Haven't lost in five or six.
  • Options
    New manager bounce, I love SCP but remember when he was appointed with us
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

bellz2002 said:

I'm very happy for him but very sad for us. Still should never have been sacked by Roland. Sir Chris Powell forever.

Powell should have got the bullet IMMEDIATELY the Belgians took over. Our position in the league coupled with new ownership bullets the existing manager says that would have been one of the few things they could have done with few arguement.

This needs to go over new ground as has been done to death, in the same breath I realise my view is in the minority.
    Done to death but you decided that repeating some old shit you said before was worthwhile?
    Apologies for not remembering some old shit I had posted before.

Although of course you would not remember the shit I have posted before about Powell coming back here to galvanise the fan base and finish the job he was not able to do before.

I come back on this thread to find you quoting something else you have said in the past, and yet you are the one complaining that it has been done to death.

Your views have obviously been done to death so no need to post again, but do please feel free to come on and read any new and fresh posts.
    elfsvorg old chap your views are obviously still fresh and relevant because people are still responding keep it up
  • Options

New manager bounce, I love SCP but remember when he was appointed with us

Yeah I also remember when he was first appointed his first full season we did quite well I believe I could be wrong