Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bundesliga

1141516171820»

Comments

• Options
    Stuttgart deserve some praise too. Relegation play-offs last season to probable Champions league qualifiers this. That's some improvement!   
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 13
    Bayer Leverkusen won 5-0 yesterday so only one game left to go in the league (midtable Augsberg at home), Leverkusen need to avoid defeat to become the first ever team to have an unbeaten Bundesliga season.

Also have the DFB-Pokal final v Kaiserslautern, and the Europa League final v Atalanta to come.

Win those and avoid defeat to Augsberg and they'll have won a treble and gone unbeaten in all competitions, would have to considered one of the best seasons ever.
  • Options
    Just a little bit better than our season then!!!!
  • Options
    It’s pretty amazing to me that Bayern Munich have never had an unbeaten season in the Bundesliga.
    I know it’s difficult to achieve, but they’ve been so dominant for so many years, it feels like they surely must have done it at some point!

The fact that a different club looks like being the first to achieve it is even more remarkable.
  • Options
    edited May 13
    It's Leverkusen's mindset which is so incredible. The amount of late goals they've scored to avoid defeat is bonkers. They're just relentless. 
  • Options
    Bayer Leverkusen won 5-0 yesterday so only one game left to go in the league (midtable Augsberg at home), Leverkusen need to avoid defeat to become the first ever team to have an unbeaten Bundesliga season.

Also have the DFB-Pokal final v Kaiserslautern, and the Europa League final v Atalanta to come.

Win those and avoid defeat to Augsberg and they'll have won a treble and gone unbeaten in all competitions, would have to considered one of the best seasons ever.
    Would certainly have to be up there.

Only ones in my lifetime that are comparable i think would be:

Inter Milan treble with Mourinho
    Man City treble
    Man Utd treble
    Bayern treble (only side to win the champions league by winning every game - although covid meant the games were knockout format from the quarter final)
    Ajax 94-95 (won the league and European cup unbeaten)

Any other good ones i've missed? I've not included ones like Celtic winning a domestic treble unbeaten because it's Scotland.
  • Options
    Why is so much emphasis put on being unbeaten?

great achievement but the Arsenal Invincibles are revered when there have probably been 7 or 8 higher points totals in the Premier League which is surely a better achievement
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

great achievement but the Arsenal Invincibles are revered when there have probably been 7 or 8 higher points totals in the Premier League which is surely a better achievement
    More emphasis is put on Leverkusen because of where they've come from and having never won the league in their history. That in itself would a great achievement but to also be in with a chance of a treble AND doing it unbeaten is incredible.

But to your general point i do agree. I don't think Arsenal going a season unbeaten but only getting 90 points is a better achievement than Man City getting 100 points.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I get your point, you're supposed to win games and get the most points, not just be hard to beat.

There's something romantic in it though, going a whole season and being able to say no one could beat you.  Plus it's rarer than a season where a team just got a lot of points. 

Doing something Bayern haven't managed is impressive too given how much Bayern dominate that league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 13
    MrOneLung said:

More emphasis is put on Leverkusen because of where they've come from and having never won the league in their history. That in itself would a great achievement but to also be in with a chance of a treble AND doing it unbeaten is incredible.

But to your general point i do agree. I don't think Arsenal going a season unbeaten but only getting 90 points is a better achievement than Man City getting 100 points.
    90 points was only one off the record for a 38 game season at the time, though. 

Until Mourinho came along and smashed that the next season with 95.  
  • Options
    edited May 13
    MrOneLung said:

We could go unbeaten next year but draw every game so would probably go down on 46 points but wahay we're invincibles.