Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    How are London City financed? Are the full time professionals?
  • Options
    Definitely full time professional. No idea how they are financed. Presume they have a rich benefactor. 
  • Options
    September fixtures:

4 Sept: week off
    11 Sept: Coventry United, away, 2pm. At Coventry rugby ground, Butts Park.
    18 Sept: Birmingham City, HOME, 2pm. NB This is at The Valley, not the Oakwood.
    25 Sept: Sunderland, away, 11.30am. At Eppleton Colliery Welfare ground (one of Sunderland's training bases)

The first game in the league cup is due to be at the start of October; it isn't yet agreed which of our opponents we will face first.

Tickets for the game at the Valley are £10 adult, £5 over-65 or under-18. All seats are in the lower West stand. If it's anything like last season, in practice it will be sit anywhere and any away fans will congregate at the front of block F near the away dugout. 
  • Options

• Options
    I really hope they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot with the Meire tax on the day. 
  • Options
    Paper tickets have been posted to holders of womens season tickets to get you into the Valley for the Birmingham game. Not received mine yet. Contact the ticket office if you don’t get yours by Wednesday. 
  • Options
    I see Keira Walsh has decided to go to Barcelona. Stanway gone to Bayern Munich. Rather sad when a month or so ago they were trying to big up the WSL and wanting people to go. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    I see Keira Walsh has decided to go to Barcelona. Stanway gone to Bayern Munich. Rather sad when a month or so ago they were trying to big up the WSL and wanting people to go. 
    Gotta go where the money is and capitalise on their fame while they can. 
  • Options
    Just a reminder that if your a season ticket holder for the womens team you should have received a paper ticket for Sunday's game by now. Needed to get you through the turnstiles. Contact the ticket office if you haven't received it.
  • Options
    This game game should be a real banchmark as to whether our women can compete at the top end of the table season. Birmingham came down from WSL last year and are likely to finish near the top. They have started with a win and a draw so far. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The league cup fixtures have finally been agreed and are in the programme for today's match at the Valley:

Home, at the Oakwood:
    27 November v Bristol City
    18 December v Crystal Palace

Away:
    2 October at Lewes
  • Options
    Angela Addison looks a terrific little player
  • Options
    2-0 up at half time against Birmingham. It's on the club YouTube channel if anyone isn't at the Valley and fancies watching.
  • Options
    3-0. Free on YouTube 
  • Options
    I only saw the last 25-minutes but surely Logan could walk into the mens team…
  • Options
    Great performance al round this afternoon. 3-0 and could have been more. O’Rourke’s a great defender, was impressed with her at the back, and Addison on the wing.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed that game. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    I only saw the last 25-minutes but surely Logan could walk into the mens team…

Don't go there !

Good win by the girls today. 
  • Options
    Superb team performance. Probably Ella Rutherford's best in a Charlton shirt. Beth Roe great defending and pushing forwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Much better experience down The Valley today. The team weren't massively better than Birmingham but they were clinical (until the end when they could have had a couple more) and restricted Birmingham to chances that came from their own errors, which there weren't too many of. Beth Roe was absolutely flawless all game and the entire team put in a shift. Johnson was very isolated but did put her work in in the press and forced the opening for the third goal, but the ball definitely stuck more up front when McGowan came on. I've got to say though, we did benefit from one of the worst goalkeeping performances I've ever seen. Rutherford's second bouncing in off the back of the keeper's head was a fair summary of her entire day. Hope Godfrey is ok as well.
    Special word for the woman sat at the front of the west stand supporting Birmingham today. One of the best things about following the women's game is it can tend to give you a bit of a break from the worst of football fans. You don't tend to get coked up teenagers yelling abuse at players all game, which is nice. She had it all though. Small club in London chants, I want to go home chants, and most delightful of all spent the first 15 minutes abusing Emma Follis until she had to go off injured, which she also celebrated. Unclear if it's because Follis used to play for Birmingham or because she played for Villa, which would be even weirder considering we had two Villa loanees on the pitch that she left alone, but the abusive noise coming off her all game was bizarre. Once we went 3-0 up she started to focus on the officials before turning on the Birmingham players after the match when they didn't acknowledge her presence enough. You get tons of people like that at every men's game, but when there's only a few hundred people there in an environment that's mostly parents and kids you really look like a psychopath. What I'm trying to say is she was a hilarious embarrassment and I'll miss her terribly.
    The latter I think, she called her a DVB amongst other things
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Much better experience down The Valley today. The team weren't massively better than Birmingham but they were clinical (until the end when they could have had a couple more) and restricted Birmingham to chances that came from their own errors, which there weren't too many of. Beth Roe was absolutely flawless all game and the entire team put in a shift. Johnson was very isolated but did put her work in in the press and forced the opening for the third goal, but the ball definitely stuck more up front when McGowan came on. I've got to say though, we did benefit from one of the worst goalkeeping performances I've ever seen. Rutherford's second bouncing in off the back of the keeper's head was a fair summary of her entire day. Hope Godfrey is ok as well.
    Special word for the woman sat at the front of the west stand supporting Birmingham today. One of the best things about following the women's game is it can tend to give you a bit of a break from the worst of football fans. You don't tend to get coked up teenagers yelling abuse at players all game, which is nice. She had it all though. Small club in London chants, I want to go home chants, and most delightful of all spent the first 15 minutes abusing Emma Follis until she had to go off injured, which she also celebrated. Unclear if it's because Follis used to play for Birmingham or because she played for Villa, which would be even weirder considering we had two Villa loanees on the pitch that she left alone, but the abusive noise coming off her all game was bizarre. Once we went 3-0 up she started to focus on the officials before turning on the Birmingham players after the match when they didn't acknowledge her presence enough. You get tons of people like that at every men's game, but when there's only a few hundred people there in an environment that's mostly parents and kids you really look like a psychopath. What I'm trying to say is she was a hilarious embarrassment and I'll miss her terribly.
    The latter I think, she called her a DVB amongst other things
    I did hear that and I was wondering what she was saying. I think I can figure it out from the context. Weird that she targeted just her when there were actual Villa players in our team
  • Options
    Enjoyed this game, heard someone behind me say they much preferred it to  the men's team and TBH I can see why. The only thing that reminded me of the men's game was that the striker was isolated for a lot of the game, she did track back though and was unlucky with service.  Entertaining game, though we had 2 players go off injured and  could hear Hannah Godfrey's pain before she was stretchered off. Hope she's not too badly hurt but it didn't look good. The next Valley game is on 16th October and I'd recommend it based on today's performance. Hopefully playing good football (and winning!) will build the crowd.

Not sure I agree with @Garrymanilow about the Brum goalie, thought she was unlucky that the third came back off the post and hit her and pulled off a couple of decent saves to keep it at 3-0. I've certainly seen far worse goalkeeping. 

I remarked to my other half when I got back about the atmosphere being, well a bit nicer without all the toxic stuff you can hear sometimes, but it sounds like I was just lucky to be nowhere near the Birmingham fan. 

• Options
    rananegra said:
    Enjoyed this game, heard someone behind me say they much preferred it to  the men's team and TBH I can see why. The only thing that reminded me of the men's game was that the striker was isolated for a lot of the game, she did track back though and was unlucky with service.  Entertaining game, though we had 2 players go off injured and  could hear Hannah Godfrey's pain before she was stretchered off. Hope she's not too badly hurt but it didn't look good. The next Valley game is on 16th October and I'd recommend it based on today's performance. Hopefully playing good football (and winning!) will build the crowd.

Not sure I agree with @Garrymanilow about the Brum goalie, thought she was unlucky that the third came back off the post and hit her and pulled off a couple of decent saves to keep it at 3-0. I've certainly seen far worse goalkeeping. 

I remarked to my other half when I got back about the atmosphere being, well a bit nicer without all the toxic stuff you can hear sometimes, but it sounds like I was just lucky to be nowhere near the Birmingham fan. 

Fair enough, we all see it differently. For me she got down far too slow for the second goal, should have seen Rutherford shaping to shoot a mile off for the third and got across to tip the shot wide rather than letting it hit the post - so you can fairly argue she's unlucky to see it ping back in off her head but never should have been in the position for it to do that in the first place - and put them under pressure with some truly atrocious kicking. Every time the ball went to her we got it back. She did make a very brave save towards the end but the game was gone by then.
    The atmosphere was great overall, there was a group of girls sat behind her who drowned her out whenever she got up too much momentum which was hilarious.
  • Options
    Attendance of 446 which is around a hundred down on the last home game at VCD
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    which was a local derby
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Crusty54 said:
    shirty5 said:
    which was a local derby
    Did London City Lionesses bring a tidy away following, Crusty? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    shirty5 said:
    which was a local derby
    I saw quite a few of them
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    shirty5 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    shirty5 said:
    which was a local derby
    More than a hundred more than Birmingham?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    shirty5 said:
    which was a local derby
    More than a hundred more than Birmingham?
    A lot more.