Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    4Real said:
    How much would anyone estimate that a professional full time player in the Womens' team would earn ? 
    Their sponsorship deals are worth far more than their wages. A good friend on mine is an agent for one of the lionesses'.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    We have a chance with the Experience of karen Hills and the backing of Thomas Sandgaard to join the elite of the WSL.
    Great to hear Nigel Adkins is so supportive as well but I would expect no less from our Mr Motivator.

Chelsea, Man city and Arsenal are streets ahead of the rest despite Man United getting nearer to the big 3 last season. 

Whether we can do it in one or two seasons to get in the top division  will depend on the recruitment of Professional footballers to the mainly part time Championship.

I made the long journey to watch Kit Graham and co a couple of seasons ago to watch a few matches when the Women's team came within a whisker of finishing above Karen Hill's Spurs, who got promoted after coming back from losing to Cafc 2-0 to win 3-2 and dampen our ambitions.
    We over achieved that season considering our budget compared to the likes of Man United and Spurs.

The recruitment of quality players either at the beginning of their careers, young Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea loans as Karen said, over the next couple of months will be paramount. Plus bringing signings in who understand the levels of fitness and commitment of training every day and the importance of team bonding. More quality than the girls who have left is a Shay Given.

We need the same professional ethos running through every team under the tenure of Thomas Sandgaard. It won't be for the want of trying in the men's and women's set up.
  • Options
    Brighton looks a decent cup draw.
    Going to be some time before that match happens!
  • Options
    If we look at last season's Championship, Leicester were head and shoulders above the others which Charlton were able to compete with in the back end of the season. The question for me is how strong Bristol City will be. It would seem more than possible that we will be making a decent sized jump and if Bristol City are sub Leicester next season it should look very bright for us.
    I wonder how many of their players Bristol will keep, I doubt many of their best players will want to play in the championship next year. 
  • Options
    FA have announced that the first round of Championship matches for next season will be the weekend of the August bank holiday.
  • Options
    We have a confirmed pre-season friendly, away at Southampton WFC on Sunday 8 August. They play at Alresford FC, near Winchester. This is the independent women's club who were the dominant team of the 1970s and are now at tier 4, not the tier 3 team that's part of Southampton FC.
  • Options

opened our new training facility at Pippenhall this morning. The facilities are part of the club’s Sparrows Lane training ground. #cafc #cafcwomen
  • Options
    My ignorance is Pippenhall new , a renamed part of Sparrows Lane, something else or always been there?
  • Options
    My ignorance is Pippenhall new , a renamed part of Sparrows Lane, something else or always been there?
    It's part of Sparrows Lane. Pitches to be shared.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does Eartha have kit ?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    sammy391 said:
     New facilities

As part of the transition, new facilities are being built at Pippenhall for changing rooms, medical rooms and meeting rooms. The facilities are part of the club’s Sparrows Lane training ground and the team will also share the current 3G pitches, gym and canteen already in place at the current training ground.” 

I know TS in investing a lot of money and the facilities will be vastly improved from what the women's team previously had but where on earth were they getting changed before if that top photo is the upgrade?

I think we had better changing rooms at my secondary school.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I played at Ashton Gate a few years back and the changing room was similar. I was a bit disappointed and maybe it has improved since but having said that, it did the job. 
  • Options
    CHARLTON ATHLETIC WOMEN

Laundry room with a pile of dirty clothes

Clear Acrylic Cosmetic Organiser with Drawers Makeup Jewelry Display Box  Case 5055521152955  eBay

It's been a while since I had a headlock.....
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
     New facilities

As part of the transition, new facilities are being built at Pippenhall for changing rooms, medical rooms and meeting rooms. The facilities are part of the club’s Sparrows Lane training ground and the team will also share the current 3G pitches, gym and canteen already in place at the current training ground.” 

I know TS in investing a lot of money and the facilities will be vastly improved from what the women's team previously had but where on earth were they getting changed before if that top photo is the upgrade?

I think we had better changing rooms at my secondary school.
    Whether the new or old changing rooms who puts clothes hooks above the windows and at about eight foot high?
  • Options
    Working example of the CL height test.
  • Options
    We have a confirmed pre-season friendly, away at Southampton WFC on Sunday 8 August. They play at Alresford FC, near Winchester. This is the independent women's club who were the dominant team of the 1970s and are now at tier 4, not the tier 3 team that's part of Southampton FC.
    Scratch that. I've just seen a tweet from Southampton WFC, which they sent a week ago, saying "Having had an opponent pull out today, we are now looking for an opponent for Sunday 8th August. We have our pitch and officials all booked for a 2pm KO". That's clearly us that's pulled out. Perhaps related to us only having announced 2 signed players so far. 
  • Options

Scratch that. I've just seen a tweet from Southampton WFC, which they sent a week ago, saying "Having had an opponent pull out today, we are now looking for an opponent for Sunday 8th August. We have our pitch and officials all booked for a 2pm KO". That's clearly us that's pulled out. Perhaps related to us only having announced 2 signed players so far. 
    TS said last week that he had met the new players.

I don't think drip feeding us one player at a time will help season ticket sales.
  • Options
    I must admit I've never really followed the ladies very much other than a quick check of the results, but it's certainly becoming a n interesting story, well done TS and all involved. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pippenhall has always existed. When I played for LAC Rovers in the 1970s it was our home ground. 
    There was a rugby club also, if I remember.

It's adjacent to the club's Sparrows Lane complex.

• Options
    I just googled it and it seems Pippinhall farm has a bit of history.

The first specific written record is in 1290 when King Edward 2nd negotiated hay from John de Henley, the owner, to feed the royal deer at Eltham Palace during a very cold winter.

I like the reference to the Valley too.   

The first evidence of human utilisation of the Pippinhall Valley is a Mesolithic concave scraper dropped by a hunter gatherer sometime around 7000 BC

https://greenwichindustrialhistory.blogspot.com/2013/02/pippenhall-farm-short-history.html

• Options
    The way the squad is being announced, player by player seems a bit strange to me. Is it right, so far we have three contracted players?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I am very interested in the women's team and am sure they will do well next season but I am not feeling the suspense! :)
  • Options
    We have a whole bunch of players. I met them when they visited the Museum. The club are building the suspense by announcing them one by one
    Should be enough to play 6 a sides by the time the season starts. No really new players yet. Players retained signing new professional contracts. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    We have a whole bunch of players. I met them when they visited the Museum. The club are building the suspense by announcing them one by one
    Should be enough to play 6 a sides by the time the season starts. No really new players yet. Players retained signing new professional contracts. 
    There were 15 to 20 players at the Museum. I talked to several of them who were playing elsewhere  last season. The club will release the names at the end of the month. That is what they told us.
  • Options
    Breaking news: Charley Clifford has signed for ... has signed for ... has ... <choking noises> <sound of uncontrolled weeping>.

Seriously, there aren't too many options if you're in London and want to play at the top level while remaining part time. It's an obvious, sensible professional decision by someone who remains a really good player. But it hurts.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    There were 15 to 20 players at the Museum. I talked to several of them who were playing elsewhere  last season. The club will release the names at the end of the month. That is what they told us.
    Both Crystal Palace and London City Lionesses are busy announcing new signings. Indeed Charley Clifford announced today as joining Palace.

You've met them, Thomas has met them. Why wait?