Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford 3/2/18 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    That was like Shrewsbury away last season, how the hell we lost that I will never know...
  • Options
    Oops saw the score at 1-0, then 1-1, then again at 2-1 and thought finally not screwing ourselves by conceding late on... Oops indeed.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    cafc4life said:

Lennon is a conference player and Konsa ain't worth a wank.

Best I've seen us play going forward in months. Josh my MOM. Fosu really good too . Very dissapointed with that though

I agree about Lennon but also that's very young for a centre back pairing! The blind leading the blind! Why didn't Robinson get in an experienced centre back on loan as cover for Pearce and Bauer rather than Kaikai and kept KAG!!!!!!
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Oxford played very well but to get nothing from a game when you’re 2-1 up after 88 minutes (especially at home) is pretty inexcusable. Our inexperience showed but we really should have been able to close it out.

I thought we played some nice stuff in the first half, with Mavididi skinning their right back at will, but we lacked the final ball and/or killer instinct in the box to make it count. At the same time, Oxford looked dangerous and got behind us on a number of occasions on our left side, as we continued to look vulnerable at the back.

Overall, I thought they were better than us in the second half but we managed to get ourself in front twice and to then squander some very good positions with poor decision making when we were outnumbering our opponents in the final third. It looked as if that profligacy would not come back to bite us but, ultimately, poor defending proved our downfall. I thought we were very shaky in both full back positions and centrally in relation to long, bouncing balls down the middle. The late collapse was not all the fault of the back four, though - our central midfield players seemed to go missing in the last ten minutes and Oxford played through us at will. Their last two goals came from an abject failure to put pressure on the ball in our final third, compounded by the failure of our midfielders to track runs from their opposite numbers, who, completely unmolested, had plenty of time to steady themselves and crack the ball into the net.

Overall, a sporadically good but disjointed performance, where we lacked solidity and always looked liked conceding. I reckon you would have got pretty good odds on Kashi and Magennis scoring in a home defeat but that’s somehow where we ended up.

We need to get some experience back into central defence, consider bringing Dijksteel in at right back and KR needs to have a think about the overall balance of the side. In the meantime, let’s hope that Mavididi’s injury is not serious because he is undoubtedly a match winner.

Blucher said:

Oxford played very well but to get nothing from a game when you’re 2-1 up after 88 minutes (especially at home) is pretty inexcusable. Our inexperience showed but we really should have been able to close it out.

I thought we played some nice stuff in the first half, with Mavididi skinning their right back at will, but we lacked the final ball and/or killer instinct in the box to make it count. At the same time, Oxford looked dangerous and got behind us on a number of occasions on our left side, as we continued to look vulnerable at the back.

Overall, I thought they were better than us in the second half but we managed to get ourself in front twice and to then squander some very good positions with poor decision making when we were outnumbering our opponents in the final third. It looked as if that profligacy would not come back to bite us but, ultimately, poor defending proved our downfall. I thought we were very shaky in both full back positions and centrally in relation to long, bouncing balls down the middle. The late collapse was not all the fault of the back four, though - our central midfield players seemed to go missing in the last ten minutes and Oxford played through us at will. Their last two goals came from an abject failure to put pressure on the ball in our final third, compounded by the failure of our midfielders to track runs from their opposite numbers, who, completely unmolested, had plenty of time to steady themselves and crack the ball into the net.

Overall, a sporadically good but disjointed performance, where we lacked solidity and always looked liked conceding. I reckon you would have got pretty good odds on Kashi and Magennis scoring in a home defeat but that’s somehow where we ended up.

We need to get some experience back into central defence, consider bringing Dijksteel in at right back and KR needs to have a think about the overall balance of the side. In the meantime, let’s hope that Mavididi’s injury is not serious because he is undoubtedly a match winner.

Spot on Bloucher, summed up perfectly!
  • Options

Good to meet @AshBurton and others. :)

Others? Others????? :-)
    I've met you before. You don't get a mention! :p
  • Options
    DaSilva showed his defensive limitations again today - a very skilful player but frequently out of position and got targeted by Oxford. A lot of our fans seem blind to his faults.
  • Options
    Why these stupid substitutions so late in the game, we are winning the game because of the 11 on the pitch with a few minutes to go, unless injuries why change it?, the player or players coming on have to get into the pace of the game from the off. Why try to slow the game down with these measures. i just don't get it. Mind you a win today would have papered over the cracks. we need to play with 2 up front to score the goals to kill games off and not play with 3 wingers as we had today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just got home and can't be bothered to read all though this thread.
    This is how I saw it today.
    With the players that we had available today we should have destroying Oxford.
    The fact that we didn't is entirely down to Robinson.
    Oxford played a direct game and scored 3 goals hit the woodwork twice and had a couple of other chances as well.
    We played tippy happy shite and got exactly what we deserved.
    If we can't beat teams like Oxford with the players that we have at our disposal then there is something wrong with the way Robinson sets us up.
    We should easily make the playoffs with the players at our disposal and if we don't it is down to Robinson.

Stop talking bollox and start winning matches.

You cheered up yet.
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    Early days I know, but if we play one up front should it be Josh or Zyro, or is one up front just a bad idea?
  • Options

DaSilva showed his defensive limitations again today - a very skilful player but frequently out of position and got targeted by Oxford. A lot of our fans seem blind to his faults.

His issue today was the fact their No.32 was rapid meaning that when Dasilva attacked (which he can do better than many of our players), he left a gaping hole.

To top it off; towards the end they continued to target that side and with Kaikai not dropping back to help out it meant we couldnt double up on their attackers
  • Options

Why these stupid substitutions so late in the game, we are winning the game because of the 11 on the pitch with a few minutes to go, unless injuries why change it?, the player or players coming on have to get into the pace of the game from the off. Why try to slow the game down with these measures. i just don't get it. Mind you a win today would have papered over the cracks. we need to play with 2 up front to score the goals to kill games off and not play with 3 wingers as we had today.

Robinson just doesnt know what hes doing! A more experienced manager like Curbs or Warnock would have made subs to close the game out! Also would never play Konsa and Lennon together!!!
  • Options

His issue today was the fact their No.32 was rapid meaning that when Dasilva attacked (which he can do better than many of our players), he left a gaping hole.

To top it off; towards the end they continued to target that side and with Kaikai not dropping back to help out it meant we couldnt double up on their attackers
    Da Silva is very good going forward but does make errors defensively and today was exposed - teams will target him.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Early days I know, but if we play one up front should it be Josh or Zyro, or is one up front just a bad idea?

Josh played well today, Zyro did nothing to suggest that (at the moment) he would be better in that role

We scored 2 today, which ought to be enough to win at home most times, and certainly not lose.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Glad Magennis got himself a goal, best game for a long time.

Lennon is a joke. He can’t do the basics,and is an accident waiting to happen all the time.

I’m also getting fed up with Solly as well. Let’s get Pearce in for Lennon and give him the captains armband as well.

• Options

Uboat said:

Josh played well today, Zyro did nothing to suggest that (at the moment) he would be better in that role

We scored 2 today, which ought to be enough to win at home most times, and certainly not lose.
    If we could put in a decent final ball we would have scored a hateful. Defence is our main weakness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We lose, Dartford lose 4-0, Millwall win

Thanks god it's February and I can drink again...
  • Options

addick05 said:

We have an abundance of talented, skillful footballers - but they tend to over-elaborate; why try to beat the same player three times when sometimes a simple pass will suffice? It's all about decision-making and too many of our lot make the wrong decision. To be fair it was a very open game - Oxford certainly didn't put 9 guys behind the ball, just the sort of team set-up that we should be capitalising on?

Text my mate at HT I'd be amazed if both teams didn't score
    I had Charlton to win and both teams to score... with three minutes to go I was counting my dosh... should have known!!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

The critics for Lennon are wrong. Sadly the culprit is Da Silva as teams deliberately target him. Within 15 seconds of the start a ball flashed across our goal after a long ball over his head. The issue however is that the management team can't see it.

Lovely player on the ball and created our second goal but is being targeted defensively

Also watch it again and it was a right back who equalised to make it 2 - 2 hardly someone who should be marked by Lennon

One of the opposition managers (sorry, i forget who) pointed out the weakness in charlton's fullback was one of their main targets to exploit. Dasilva gets up the pitch a lot so its easy to get in behind on his side. Oxford got in behind him after 30 seconds today. And still, robinson doesnt fix it
    Missed It said:

The critics for Lennon are wrong. Sadly the culprit is Da Silva as teams deliberately target him. Within 15 seconds of the start a ball flashed across our goal after a long ball over his head. The issue however is that the management team can't see it.

Lovely player on the ball and created our second goal but is being targeted defensively

Also watch it again and it was a right back who equalised to make it 2 - 2 hardly someone who should be marked by Lennon

One of the opposition managers (sorry, i forget who) pointed out the weakness in charlton's fullback was one of their main targets to exploit. Dasilva gets up the pitch a lot so its easy to get in behind on his side. Oxford got in behind him after 30 seconds today. And still, robinson doesnt fix it
    Steve Lovell of Gillingham .
  • Options
    2-1 up after 89 minutes

6 minutes later, lose 3-2

So who's thought was it. Management, Ref, players.? To me, it's 1 and 3.

No one today was worth a 8/10, but after 89 mins everyone would have taken 3 points. But with our current lot there's no guts and no glory. Thank god Obika only lasted 30 mins!

Robinson is the Billy Graham, but unless he changes tactics then he will not in charge of Charlton by June.
  • Options
    We certainly didn't deserve to lose.
  • Options
    Why the ref shirty?
  • Options

Both teams played well I thought. High quality game for League One.

Quality game for a neutral
  • Options

We certainly didn't deserve to lose.

Bollox
  • Options

Lennon was shocking

Thank god you didn't say shooting
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Huge gap in the middle of the park at times, was a bit playground with the whole midfield taking the Bowyer teaching of making 'runs into the box' at the same time. Defensively we didn't give a lot at away until they scored but then fell to absolute pieces - there were so many times where two players got confused and let a man go. Solly and Kashi did it spectacularly at one point. Solly looked absolutely knackered at the end to me.

We played some nice stuff, and got a final ball away from a goal on a number of occasions which could have killed the game off at 2-0 or 3-1. Bad decisions by forwards (e.g. Fosu not squaring to Magennis for a tap in) cost us as much as the shambles at the back towards the end of the game. Even then, our goals both came from them giving the ball away shockingly cheaply under a bit of pressure... on another day against defenders that could actually play football and we'd have blanked.

Konsa is a very good footballer but useless in the air, Lennon looks like he's wading through treacle and is probably still chasing his first touch down the A2. Can just echo that Pearce is proving a big loss.

All in all, so typically Charlton Athletic.