Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford 3/2/18 post-match views

Comments

• Options

I’ve never seen a side getting undone by 3 indentical goals so easily, would’ve been 4 had the one that hit the post gone in

Would have been five if the one on the first half haddent of hit the corner of the post and crossbar.
  • Options
    Positives on the attacking front, but Oxford scored 3 and hit the woodwork 3 times. I leave it to others to pick their scapegoats but Robinson should on Sunday or Monday sit the whole squad down and point out where tackles are missed or blocks not made. On the face of it we need our 1st team CB pair of Pierce and Bauer back ASAP plus make a decision on who is our best RB: Konsa or Solly plus Aribo didn't deserve to lose his place to JFC. It's not the end of the world because I thought we had no chance of automatic promotion in November. 4th 5th and 6th is still possible. We played well in patches again but we have to be fit enough to play 95 minutes.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Disappointed would be an understatement.

Surprised at the outcome - not really.

A game we should have won, being 2-1 up at 88 minutes.

As 88th minute arrived I turned to my lad and pointed out the time - and, sure enough, 15 seconds later they were level after our defence lost both shape and their way.

Lennon OK first half - won most balls in the air.

2nd half Oxford changed tactics and kept the ball on the floor and employed some slick, quick break counter attacks and they gave us enough warnings before the final coup de grace so wasn’t surprised in the end.
    This change of tact exposed our defence - all 4 defenders were looking increasingly vulnerable and, along with poor support and poor tracking from midfield, cost us dearly as we failed to track runners and we were too stretched at the back when we should have been narrow - that way the shots that produced goals would most likely have been blocked - Oxford did this very well.

We’ve played worse and won.

Agree re the substitutions and when Mavididi and Fosu left the field it was an open invitation to Oxford to come at us and for us to drop increasingly deeper and become more and more stretched at the back.

All credit to Oxford for exposing our defensive frailties and for some slick counter attacking and good finishing.

They really deserved a goal for the move where they hit the post so we can’t really complain too much, I guess.

Big Josh my man of the match. Worked his socks off, timing of jumps much better and looked like a new player today - where has that been hidden?

Agree with the poster who commented how great it would be to have an Alou Diarra again - we would have won this game hands down.

Not impressed with JFC today, not at all.

Hopefully Bauer, Pearce and Sarr will be available very soon but even then I fear we are missing something in midfield - Oxford walked through us today for much of the 2nd half.

Shall now crack open a pint of chilled Aspall’s Suffolk Draught cider to wash down my traditional Saturday night Ruby Murray and since my expectations of Saturdays at The Valley are so low these days, I will soon get over the pain - until the next time.
  • Options

Would also like to point out the last second chance from Kaikai - Ledson got the ball on the edge of the area, didnt think about it and BANG 3-2.

Minute later the same happens for Kaikai and instead of letting the ball run across him and hitting it first time, he took a bloody touch which gave the Defenders an opportunity to close him down!!

One bloke plays every week and one plays whenever there's a League Cup game for Palace. Kakai will be ok with games. Probably better than the Oxford bloke.
  • Options

Why these stupid substitutions so late in the game, we are winning the game because of the 11 on the pitch with a few minutes to go, unless injuries why change it?, the player or players coming on have to get into the pace of the game from the off. Why try to slow the game down with these measures. i just don't get it. Mind you a win today would have papered over the cracks. we need to play with 2 up front to score the goals to kill games off and not play with 3 wingers as we had today.

Fosu was totally gone. Nothing wrong with the sub but maybe Jackson to see it out? Credit to Karl though....he gives the young ones a go.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

A frustrating afternoon. Feel sorry for Josh, he had his best game for ages, and finished on the losing side.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lennon, but I feel he's being a bit scapegoated. The goals weren't from forwards, but from runners from defence/midfield, who should have been picked up by our midfielders, whether the "2" or the attacking "3". The goals were all scored centrally, but the attacks all started down the flanks where we were weak, not helped by the substitutions.

I've said before that we lack a defensive minded midfielder, an Alou Diarra type to shield the defence, and anticipate the danger.

Me neither, and I watched him closely today. Tbh, he didn't really do a lot wrong, although haven't seen the Oxford goals again on replay. I agree with you and others that their goals were more down to the midfield not tracking back.

Overall I think we all (well most of us, me included) got a bit carried away about the transfer window. A right back or a CB or a steely midfield dynamo might have been a very useful addition to the squad. Although with Mavididi injured Kaikai may well start next game.

Zyro is a unit. Looks CF material, physically at least.

I think if we want to make the best of our time with Dasilva we should consider playing three at the back. Would also help Solly out a bit.
  • Options
    Beaten by a team with no manager
    Shocking
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Zyro was useless. Whether it was because he was out of position, he’s still not fully fit or he’s not used to the system or what, he was ineffective. Left solly exposed defensively as he wasn’t tracking back, and on the attack he kept drifting in centrally which at one point meant Konsa had to pass it back to Amos. Whenever on the ball he looked sluggish, almost as if he had been on for 75 minutes like everyone else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Simonsen said:

Why these stupid substitutions so late in the game, we are winning the game because of the 11 on the pitch with a few minutes to go, unless injuries why change it?, the player or players coming on have to get into the pace of the game from the off. Why try to slow the game down with these measures. i just don't get it. Mind you a win today would have papered over the cracks. we need to play with 2 up front to score the goals to kill games off and not play with 3 wingers as we had today.

Fosu was totally gone. Nothing wrong with the sub but maybe Jackson to see it out? Credit to Karl though....he gives the young ones a go.
    And Mav was injured.
    But yes, bring on Bauer or Jacko, especially with Dasilva getting bombarded.

Also noticed that Solly doesn't get nearly tight enough on his winger, almost inviting him to cross. Marshall had his full back and AN Other breathing down his neck.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Would also like to point out the last second chance from Kaikai - Ledson got the ball on the edge of the area, didnt think about it and BANG 3-2.

Minute later the same happens for Kaikai and instead of letting the ball run across him and hitting it first time, he took a bloody touch which gave the Defenders an opportunity to close him down!!

One bloke plays every week and one plays whenever there's a League Cup game for Palace. Kakai will be ok with games. Probably better than the Oxford bloke.
    Yeah and Ledson is two years younger than Kaikai, came from Everton and will probably go on to have a good career himself

Kaikai probably will come good for us yet will be inconsistent for a few years due to loans at different clubs
  • Options
    442 you defend with 2 banks of four. 4231 you have 2 defensive midfielders trying to cover four or more unless some of the 4 forwards get back. Marshall does but he had been tugged.
  • Options
    sm said:

Teams get better as the game goes on, bunches of individuals don't. JFC should have been subbed by Aribo after 60 minutes, he had nothing left in the tank and gave little protection to the defence - this is the main reason why we lost and Robinson should take the blame. Why Zyro was kept out on the wing when it called for two strikers against two ponderous central defenders is something else he needs to explain.

Yep spot on
  • Options
    Can someone also explain to me why Marshall nearly always feels he has to hold up the ball for a few seconds when he first receives it?
  • Options

Beaten by a team with no manager
    Shocking

Never bought into NO MANAGER bollocks. They have a manager. He might not be long term but he is still a manager. He might be called "Cartaker manager" but he is still a manager. He does the team picking and the tactics. He is a manger.
  • Options
    Needs to get better & very quickly no more excuses to be made by Robinson and his coaching team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointed.

I thought we would be able to hold on for the win and we weren’t good enough to get a draw.

Robbo has won me over but he is accountable for his poor subs. I still think we will go up but throwing away leads cannot continue.
  • Options
    Thought Fosu going off was a big mistake caused them all sorts of problems when on the pitch.

Back 4 hopeless at defending, saw both the best and worst of Da Silver, great going forward, woeful at defending.

Whoever takes defensive training needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
  • Options
    So it turns out we haven’t signed the new Messi and Ronaldo on loan after all.

Poor game management. Over committed in attack when we were 2-1 up. We had some warnings when Oxford were getting into good areas, hit the post etc. Numerous times we were falling to deep and/or failing to track midfield runners and eventually it cost us. And then cost us again.

We looked decentish in attack but still guilty of over playing and not taking good chances.

We’ll play worse and win this season, but we need to improve to get into the playoffs, and certainly if we want to win them.
  • Options
    I apologise for putting this on here and it not being anything to do with today’s game. Didn’t want to start a new thread and didn’t have a clue where to put it but Richard Smallwood, Jack Payne, Bradley Dack and one other but didn’t get a chance to see his face, have just checked themselves in to Premier Inn Bexleyheath, the first two half cut walking in with Budweiser and Carling, Dack picked up a sleeve of tobacco. All going out to the nightclub ‘pure’.

All of this after losing 2-0 away at Plymouth. Makes you wonder why they’re up this way?
  • Options
    Sage said:

I apologise for putting this on here and it not being anything to do with today’s game. Didn’t want to start a new thread and didn’t have a clue where to put it but Richard Smallwood, Jack Payne, Bradley Dack and one other but didn’t get a chance to see his face, have just checked themselves in to Premier Inn Bexleyheath, the first two half cut walking in with Budweiser and Carling, Dack picked up a sleeve of tobacco. All going out to the nightclub ‘pure’.

All of this after losing 2-0 away at Plymouth. Makes you wonder why they’re up this way?

Stopover night out on the way back to Blackburn?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Most likely but just found it very strange and random. Of course they’re allowed to have a good time, they’re human beings but maybe a little unprofessional walking in with alcohol in their Blackburn gear. Maybe that’s just me being a bit pedantic.
  • Options
    Sage said:

JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Most likely but just found it very strange and random. Of course they’re allowed to have a good time, they’re human beings but maybe a little unprofessional walking in with alcohol in their Blackburn gear. Maybe that’s just me being a bit pedantic.
    Isn't it a bit like our boys' Newcastle trip, but without the timing?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

Train to Newcastle
  • Options

Typical Charlton, loads of anticipation before the game on the back of a generally well received transfer window and the crowd up for it. Thought Oxford would be unable to maintain their high energy and we would see them off as they tired in the 2nd half but if anything they got stronger so credit where it’s due. For all the talk of exciting attacking players we created very few clear cut chances and relied on defensive errors for our goals.
    Heard Gobbys post match interview and disappointed he didn’t take responsibility for, as others have said, poor substitutions. New players take time to integrate and learn defensive patterns etc so to bring both on at the same time just after we took the lead was naive. Bringing a youngster on just before the end when you’re hanging on and you’ve got 2 experienced heads and leaders in Jackson and Bauer is just plain stupid.

I said exactly that to Golfie Jnr. Oxford were closing us down time & time again & I thought last 15 mins they would tire & we would take advantage. Game changed when Mavididi went off & I have no idea why Jackson didn't come on instead of Aribo - perhaps KR was trying to make amends for dropping him which was scandalous imo, but not as scandalous as playing Lennon instead of a fit again Bauer.........wtf was that all about ??? Defeat was 100% down to KR and he is really starting to get on my tits !!!!!

Positives. Magennis had a great game & best for 3 months if not all season. Ran everywhere, won headers & crossed better than any of our wide players. Mavididi had their right back on toast but didn't do enough with it.

Negatives. Da Silva being found out & is great going forward but needs help defensively. Lennon looks as good as I was in my prime, and I never got higher than sunday league. Oxford almost scored within 10 secs after a cross went right past Lennon & from then on he went backwards (literally & figuratively). Yes he won some headers but his slowness on the ball put us on the back foot so many times. JFC should never be in the team in front of Aribo & the arm waving shenanigans (from my position in the East) looked like he was calling for the other players to support him rather than taking it on a few strides & putting his laces through it. That & Kashi's pass to Kaikai instead of to Zyro cost us the game.

Don't think many of the top 6 will throw away a game after being 2-1 up approaching 90 mins (apart from Bradford who are making our December look positively good). I am still to be convinced that KR is the manager to take us further & certainly wouldn't want him trying to manage us in the Championship.