Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford 3/2/18 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Things to remember.

Kashi scored.
    MAG scored.
    We attacked well.
    The loanees got their first performances out the way and can only build from there.

Remembered them mate but quickly fecking forgot them in the 89 and 94min.

Sickening defeat still regardless of the positives, few teams tried to do us a favour today as well.
  • Options
    I don't think I have ever left a game in such a temper ...seems to me the players don't want it enough ..krs tactics were awful to boot ...we should have closed that game out easily ...sorry Lennon never will be good enough for this level and da Silva is a very good left sided midfielder but not a defender...
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Things to remember.

Kashi scored.
    MAG scored.
    We attacked well.
    The loanees got their first performances out the way and can only build from there.

Sickening defeat still regardless of the positives, few teams tried to do us a favour today as well.
    and it's always when there are lots of oppo fans to rub it in.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Things to remember.

Kashi scored.
    MAG scored.
    We attacked well.

and it's always when there are lots of oppo fans to rub it in.
    Yep and straight after we laugh and point and them for celebrating their equaliser.

Who are ya, who are ya.
  • Options
    Oxford were the better team and deserved the 3 points. The fact that they only won the game in the dying minutes should not hide the fact that they were more solid in defense and more threatening in attack. We had some nice moves which generally petered out when we reached their box. They had players who were prepared to put in the hard graft of closing us down, which I saw as the main difference between the two sides.
  • Options
    This is the third time we have lost to Oxford at home in row, let that sink in.....
  • Options
    To top it all the area around our seats were filled out with freebies to youth clubs etc. I’m a big advocate with filling seats with local kids so notnagainst it at all, just frustrating when you’ve paid your money and are surrounded by kids with no interest in the game and more interested in throwing things at other people. Most memorable was a bread roll being launched into the next block.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Simonsen said:

We are brittle. When was the last time we did an Oxford? Somebody remind me....I honestly can't remember (could be an age thing).

A couple in 2012/13, the 5-4 at home to Cardiff, we were 2-0 down early in the game.

A few months later we beat Bolton at home 3-2 also after being 2-0 down, two Kermo goals and 2 Bolton sendings off helped there.

The following season we beat Sheff Weds 3-2 away after being 2 down, Marvin Sordell hat-trick.

There might be others recently, cant think of them at the mo.

Is it just me or do we seem to catch teams just when theyre about to turn their poor runs around? Gillingham at home is one example, Oxford just now, Southend??
  • Options
    Josh was excellent but the problem was that thanks to our system most of his good work was done out wide. Not a lot of point in him beating a man and slinging in a great cross when there is no one there, least of all himself, to capitalise.

If we had a decent Left Back option I could see DaSilva as a winger in a 442 or operating in a proper 351. What we are playing is neither and it doesn’t work when your main/only striker gets pulled out wide all the time.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

This is the third time we have lost to Oxford at home in row, let that sink in.....

2nd. We drew last month. Usually there wouldn't be a penalty shootout. But it wasa cup competition to see who played in the next round. We only lost on the lottery of penalties. Ok ours could have been better. Though it was a lovely t win on penalties at Stamford Bridge though even thoug hthe game wasa draw and for the record we were the only team that season not to a Premier League that seaso when we drew again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Couldn't understand all the positivity in the pre-match thread. Yes we've won a few on the bounce but they were far from convincing performances.

We have looked poor defensively for the entire season and it was no different today. How Bauer is sitting on the bench and Lennon is in the side before him I'll never know. He has been terrible since he has been back in the side. No pace and his passing is laughable.

Full backs get little protection, but it increasingly feels like we need to call time on Solly. He has been consistently poor for a while now.

Still don't see what JFC brings to the table in the defensive midfield role - incredibly harsh to leave Aribo out. Would get him back in the team asap.

Stood and told @ricky_otto to cash his bet in for at east 5 mins before Oxford scored. He woudn't listen.

Ridiculous sub at the end from Robinson as well. Why on earth are we not just seeing the game out?

Kyro looks totally unfit and was miles of the pace. Liked what I saw of Kaikai and suspect he will do well for us. Mavididi was flexing his hamstring for a couple of minutes before he went down. Doesn't look as bad as last time but expect him to be out for a while.

Have felt for a while that the play-offs will be beyond us and still do. We are just too open at the back.

• Options

CAFCTrev said:

2nd. We drew last month. Usually there wouldn't be a penalty shootout. But it wasa cup competition to see who played in the next round. We only lost on the lottery of penalties.
    Much like Chelsea drew with us in the League Cup in 2005?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Loan players aren’t usually in demand hence why there surplus to requirements at there clubs - there’s useless no surprise.

Same old Charlton
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Yeah its probably why Im more chilled about the result than I usually am

They really seem to be a bogey team at the moment
  • Options
    Statistically we have a less than 40% chance of reaching the playoffs...but at least we shouldn't get relegated

• Options
    I like Robinson as a person, his passion for the game and respect for our Club. Unfortunately I am beginning to doubt his ability as a Coach, it was obvious all through that Oxford were a very well coached team, and equally obvious from the final minutes that we were not.
    He blames the players for their submission at the end, as if he was not on the touchline with a chance to change things. I remember him saying that if we got a new owner he would be out of a job. Sadly I now hope that he is right.
  • Options
    Couple of thoughts, why did we wait forever for Reeves and Marshall ? Whose idea was that ? We need to demand a referendum on finishing games on 80 minutes. Please God the £5.00 price for the Shrewsbury game to boost the attendance heralds a new owner, and back to the proper Charlton.
  • Options
    Grumpy said:

I like Robinson as a person, his passion for the game and respect for our Club. Unfortunately I am beginning to doubt his ability as a Coach, it was obvious all through that Oxford were a very well coached team, and equally obvious from the final minutes that we were not.
    He blames the players for their submission at the end, as if he was not on the touchline with a chance to change things. I remember him saying that if we got a new owner he would be out of a job. Sadly I now hope that he is right.

Christ, not just yet, though it probably will. I feel he needs at least the whole summer and transfer windown and given at least ten games into the new season. We need stability and continuety for a bit longer yet.
  • Options
    I have made a delayed New Year promise that if by some miracle we actually make it to a Wembley play-off I will not waste my money spending just to watch us lose it in the 90th minute. Perhaps they should choose a suitable place at the Valley for prayer !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Statistically we have a less than 40% chance of reaching the playoffs...but at least we shouldn't get relegated

Interesting that Bradford after 5 consecutive defeats still marked for 6th place
  • Options
    dont get why lennon getting so much flak . watched the goals again and da silva at fault for 2nd and 3rd goals , kai kai also just let his man run past him for the 2nd . however need pearce back desperately hes the leader on the pitch we're missing
  • Options
    Ledge said:

dont get why lennon getting so much flak . watched the goals again and da silva at fault for 2nd and 3rd goals , kai kai also just let his man run past him for the 2nd . however need pearce back desperately hes the leader on the pitch we're missing

Because he's slow, dithers in possession, cannot make decisions quick enough, gets caught out with long balls, and distribution isn't very good 80% of the time.

He can head a ball though, but I know lots of vets league and Sunday league players who can head a ball very well.
  • Options

Ledge said:

Because he's slow, dithers in possession, cannot make decisions quick enough, gets caught out with long balls, and distribution isn't very good 80% of the time.

He can head a ball though, but I know lots of vets league and Sunday league players who can head a ball very well.
    I should edit.

He's still young for a CH and needs an old head or a VERY good old pro to coach him.

I genuinely hope he comes good but for a team scraping for every point to make a play off place he should be a squad player in other circumstances.
  • Options

Couldn't understand all the positivity in the pre-match thread. Yes we've won a few on the bounce but they were far from convincing performances.

We have looked poor defensively for the entire season and it was no different today. How Bauer is sitting on the bench and Lennon is in the side before him I'll never know. He has been terrible since he has been back in the side. No pace and his passing is laughable.

Full backs get little protection, but it increasingly feels like we need to call time on Solly. He has been consistently poor for a while now.

Still don't see what JFC brings to the table in the defensive midfield role - incredibly harsh to leave Aribo out. Would get him back in the team asap.

Stood and told @ricky_otto to cash his bet in for at east 5 mins before Oxford scored. He woudn't listen.

Ridiculous sub at the end from Robinson as well. Why on earth are we not just seeing the game out?

Kyro looks totally unfit and was miles of the pace. Liked what I saw of Kaikai and suspect he will do well for us. Mavididi was flexing his hamstring for a couple of minutes before he went down. Doesn't look as bad as last time but expect him to be out for a while.

Have felt for a while that the play-offs will be beyond us and still do. We are just too open at the back.

Agree with most of that, but I don’t think Zyro looked ‘miles’ off the pace. Of course he’s not match fit, but that’ll come. Took up some great positions, and may have a footballing brain. Problem is he looks like a centre forward.
  • Options

As we walked to the ground myself and 3 sons (one has managed to get out of going cos he’s in to cars and airplanes not sport , weirdo) made our pre match predictions and I said that our defence is pony and there were goals in today’s game and predicted a 3-2 victory for us , alas they were worse than I thought .
    Half time and my 5 nearly 6 year old was pleading to go home .
    He was bouncing around like a loon when we scored and then when they got their 3rd pleading again to leave cos we’ve definitely lost .
    On the way home he asks if he can go to his first night match v Bradford on the evening of his birthday , I said well none of this wanting to go at half time stuff then .
    As I put the little lad to bed he asked could he support another team as well as Charlton , a firm ‘NO’ came his way. “what about Barcelona , grandad likes them”.
    I said ‘I like watching them but we can only support Charlton and England’
    “When I’m older can I support someone else “ I said ‘NO don’t forget what we were singing earlier “ I’m Charlton till I die” and that means I’m Charlton forever’
    He asked “when you die , can I support someone else” oh fffs ‘ NO you’re Charlton forever and so will your kids and their kids be !’
    Tough life trying to force /brainwash kids to support that crock of shit and in all honesty if they weren’t given a rare go on the iPad for the hour plus journey there and back I’m not sure they’d be so easily persuaded to go .

Today’s game wound me up no end and it’s all been said , just a quick note on the two newbies and obviously too early to mean anything but I thought Zyro and Kaikai looked a little heavy and slow mo in their movements .

0% Top two ........ 30% 3rd-6th ....... 67% 7th-12th ........3%13th-20th .......0% Relegation

100% Roland OUT

Brilliant. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.
  • Options

Grumpy said:

Christ, not just yet, though it probably will. I feel he needs at least the whole summer and transfer windown and given at least ten games into the new season. We need stability and continuety for a bit longer yet.
    It’s actually ludicrous that after one defeat there are calls for him to be sacked, and after a couple of wins he’s the messiah.

Truth is he’s just a young league one manager trying to make the best out of a terrible situation, and hopefully learning on the job. Yes I think he made the wrong substitutions yesterday, but I’m quite sure he’ll realise that. We’re just not going to attract a much better manager at the moment anyway. SCP doesn’t look like he’ll be available any time soon either.

In his defense also I have to say I hate it when teams go too defensive when ahead and on top. It’s just asking for trouble. It’s just that on this occasion the new players were probably too desperate to show what they could do up front, and neglected the basics of tracking back.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Sage said:

Sage said:

The game was so open we needed some kind of organisation and structure when we had missed those chances to go 3-1 up.

Personally I would have kept on Marshall as he offers much better support to Solly, even if he was getting tired or not having a good game, it was too open to risk not having that extra support.

I would have brought Kaikai on for Mavididi and tell him to protect Dasilva as much as possible as well as counter quickly when we get it.

I then finally would’ve also brought on Jackson for Fosu as soon as we went 2-1 up, - having Kashi and Jackson sitting and protecting with more organisation and Forster Caskey to be the one who is looking to release the front 3.

Slight tweaks to the tactical changes we could’ve made and I think it would’ve made a big difference to the result.

Ultimately, it didn’t happen and we lost out on 3 very important points that would’ve put us in a strong position. Magennis deserves credit because I thought he was immense, so happy for him to get his goal but also the work he put in, some of the crosses were fantastic, just a shame it wasn’t him on the end of them.

Next game we need Bauer back in defence, we look like there’s an accident waiting to happen every time we have the ball or an opposing team attacks us.

100%. We looked all over the place at the back. Bauer and Pearce back at CB can’t come soon enough. I’d look to do something at RB as well....as much I have liked Solly over the years, I’m not convinced by him at all anymore. The only real option is Konsa going there - not idea I know.
    When Bauer and Pearce are back, I think we will look a lot better and I think Solly will too. I think he is consciously aware of the frailties we have in defence and I think that’s affecting his game.

I don’t like Konsa at full back as his positioning is wrong, he gets beaten a lot and doesn’t offer anything going forward. There is something that needs to change and it’s such a shame to see Solly not hitting those heights he did before, as we all know how quality he really is.

It wouldn’t happen I know, but I really wouldn’t mind us trying something like this:

Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce
    Solly Kashi Forster-Caskey Dasilva
    Fosu Kaikai
    Magennis

It might seem a bit defensive and lop-sided at times but I think it will allow Dasilva to play a bit more freely and allow Forster-Caskey to not have such a burden on him defensively.

We have many options now to change things and move forward, we have to be smart, clever, be more wise within the game.

Get top six and we got a good chance.
    Wouldn't disagree with the change of formation principal here at all however it's one game at a time and it's Donny away next week so I'd go with a 5-4-1 smash and grab 1-0 away win.
  • Options

As we walked to the ground myself and 3 sons (one has managed to get out of going cos he’s in to cars and airplanes not sport , weirdo) made our pre match predictions and I said that our defence is pony and there were goals in today’s game and predicted a 3-2 victory for us , alas they were worse than I thought .
    Half time and my 5 nearly 6 year old was pleading to go home .
    He was bouncing around like a loon when we scored and then when they got their 3rd pleading again to leave cos we’ve definitely lost .
    On the way home he asks if he can go to his first night match v Bradford on the evening of his birthday , I said well none of this wanting to go at half time stuff then .
    As I put the little lad to bed he asked could he support another team as well as Charlton , a firm ‘NO’ came his way. “what about Barcelona , grandad likes them”.
    I said ‘I like watching them but we can only support Charlton and England’
    “When I’m older can I support someone else “ I said ‘NO don’t forget what we were singing earlier “ I’m Charlton till I die” and that means I’m Charlton forever’
    He asked “when you die , can I support someone else” oh fffs ‘ NO you’re Charlton forever and so will your kids and their kids be !’
    Tough life trying to force /brainwash kids to support that crock of shit and in all honesty if they weren’t given a rare go on the iPad for the hour plus journey there and back I’m not sure they’d be so easily persuaded to go .

Today’s game wound me up no end and it’s all been said , just a quick note on the two newbies and obviously too early to mean anything but I thought Zyro and Kaikai looked a little heavy and slow mo in their movements .

0% Top two ........ 30% 3rd-6th ....... 67% 7th-12th ........3%13th-20th .......0% Relegation

100% Roland OUT

Brilliant!