Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Milton Keynes V Charlton 17/2/2018 post match views

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:

So now it is our turn to go unbeaten in the next 10 games :wink:

10 draws.
  • Options

Suprised with people's opinions on Reeves, I thought he played well and worried them a lot. Other than a overhit pass in the second half. Nearly scored a bobby dazzler in the first half.

Agree - he certainly owes us a game and I thought he did well yesterday. Kaikai was practically anonymous but I won't get on his case just yet. What a strange atmosphere though, my boy said at times it was like watching a friendly or a training session at Sparrow's Lane. Even the fans looked like they had been bussed in as a 'treat' and had no connection with what was going on in front of them.
  • Options

Hopefully all the flip floppers will like Robbo again.

Whisper it quietly but we’ve lost only once in the last 7, and that was the last min flop v Oxford.

Pleased for those that travelled. Few better feelings than the final whistle at an away victory

Or if you want to be glass half empty, you could look at it as we’ve only won 4 of our last 15 league games. You can play the stats to fit your agenda.

I’m not going to get overly excited yet, a win against a very poor side who look destined for league 2 and are in poor form should be expected. Big game on Saturday against the league leaders now. Time for the boys to step up.
  • Options
    Never going to be an electric atmosphere in a ground just over a quarter full
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Leuth said:

That is like a CL Where's Wally. Charlton Aesthetic and I are in it

Airman just out of pic to the right. I was looking for his black and white scarf...
    The lack of B&W in that pic is disappointing. He hasn't sold up yet folks. #1 priority is to pressure Two Shats into going, no matter how small a way. Also, what a comparison it would make if the crowd scenes for his last game were still all black and white and but for the new owner we had a sea of red.
  • Options

Whisper it quietly but we’ve lost only once in the last 7, and that was the last min flop v Oxford.

Pleased for those that travelled. Few better feelings than the final whistle at an away victory

Or if you want to be glass half empty, you could look at it as we’ve only won 4 of our last 15 league games. You can play the stats to fit your agenda.

And yet we are 6th with a game or two in hand. Maybe the other teams aren’t as good as everybody seems to think they are...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

JamesSeed said:

I thought their CB Ward (15) was excellent. Won everything in the air and looked decent on the ball.

No youngster though, James.

Seasoned and experienced, been around for a long time. Came through the West Ham academy, had an extended spell in their 1st team alongside Anton Ferdinand in their run to the Championship playoffs and promotion to the Prem (with Chris Powell, on loan from Premier League Charlton Athletic. :smile: ), including the playoff final.

But next season he didn't get a chance in the Prem, being loaned out to then Championship Plymouth Argyle, my nearest League team. I remember he made a huge impression at the time for the 3 or 4 months he was there, but West Ham recalled him and flogged him straightaway to then Championship Coventry City for £1m, where he was a regular for several seasons.

Since then, he's played for Norwich, Bournemouth, Forest and Blackburn.
    Must be well into his 30s now but loads of Championship experience.

PS: Just checked Wiki - and see Elliott Ward played 4 games in the Prem, for West Ham.
    And 12 games in the Prem for Norwich City.

Thanks for that. I'd say there's two or three decent seasons left in him, and he'll probably be available end of season. Bauer, Pearce and Ward would be a decent trio to rotate at CB, with Lennon and/or Sarr in reserve. Ward's experience would be useful.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

It's captured my essence perfectly - I'm stroking my beard. CA looks like she wants to kill everyone, so no change there either

Is she sat directly 2 seats in front of Phil Mitchell?
  • Options
    Nice one !
  • Options

And yet we are 6th with a game or two in hand. Maybe the other teams aren’t as good as everybody seems to think they are...
    The five teams above us are lol. Plus we have only managed to beat Bradford, Bristol City and Rotherham out of the current top 12. We are only yet to have played Shrewsbury, but our record against the top 12 sides doesn't make for easy reading and in contrary to what you stated, maybe the other teams are actually quite decent. But it's all about how you look at things, and i'm taking the cynical route at the moment due to lack of faith. We have a very difficult run in now against teams that are either above us or vying for that last play off spot, lets hope we do this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first live game of the season (the latest in the year that's happened since I was three years old I think, cheers Roland), but I've caught a few on ifollow.

Bauer and Silva impressed, as they have in the last couple of games. Hopefully Bauer injury is nothing serious, it would be great to have him and Pearce starting together again. Mention for Amos as well, who I thought was very assured, and made an excellent save when he didn't know an offside flag was up.

Think some of the marks for Kaikai have been a bit over the top. He didn't do very much, but he wasn't terrible either. On the other side of things, surprised to see Kashi getting quite so much praise as he is. It was a wonderful strike for the goal, and he does really well getting stuck in and breaking up play in front of the defence, but his decision-making is bizarre at times. Just after he scored he played a weakly hit square pass across the defence which could easily have led to a goal for them. Gave the ball away a fair amount in the second half too with hopeful passes up the pitch. Not saying he had a bad game or anything - and I like him - just didn't think it was the MoM performance that some have said.

Probably one of the best games I've seen Forster-Caskey have. Generally very assured, and lovely cross for Magennis for the goal. Glad to see Josh scoring again, and probably should have had another in the second half (or passed to Kashi). He does do a lot of work you don't always see on the stream I think - frustrating to watch him in this formation though, as the work he's doing means he's too often looking for the ball out wide, rather than being the target in the box. Feel he'd really benefit from someone else up front (or from wingers who like to whip crosses into the box).

Not a fantastic game overall. MK were terrible, and once again we invited pressure in the last ten minutes. We really need a big change in attitude if we're going to seriously challenge for play-offs. Thought bringing Lennon on was baffling tbh, and don't think you can say that just because we hung on that makes it a good decision.

To clear things up, the formation we ended up with after the subs was, without a doubt, the classic 3-6-1.
  • Options
    Thought we were pretty good in the last ten, after an extremely rocky spell halfway through the half
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Thought we were pretty good in the last ten, after an extremely rocky spell halfway through the half

Ha maybe just my nerves then. Agree that we properly went to pieces for a bit after their goal and then recovered, but still felt in the last 10 like we were camped in our own half waiting to be unlocked. I just want TWWW to come back and dance around by the corner flag again tbh.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Agree with that. I was dreading the last ten (plus five) but it proved relatively unstressful. To give Robbo his due, the subs were proactive and timely - early enough in the second half to make a positive difference. I thought Reeves was ok in the first half but bringing Marshall on at that crucial stage was absolutely the right decision. Much better game management than of late (admittedly it couldn’t get much worse).

Always great to see an away win, albeit against woeful opposition. I liked the stadium too but 8,000 home fans (looking more like 5,000) dotted around a large arena will never produce any sort of helpful atmosphere for the home team.
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Leuth said:

Always great to see an away win, albeit against woeful opposition. I liked the stadium too but 8,000 home fans (looking more like 5,000) dotted around a large arena will never produce any sort of helpful atmosphere for the home team.
    At least there was great noise coming from the Charlton fans yesterday

The previous time I was there (the 1-0 defeat under Fraeye) , we were upstairs and the ground was like a morgue!
  • Options

We have won the last 4 games when Aribo has started.

SSHHH don't tell Robbo, he may have to start with him regularly :smiley:
  • Options

Suprised with people's opinions on Reeves, I thought he played well and worried them a lot. Other than a overhit pass in the second half. Nearly scored a bobby dazzler in the first half.

You should know by now ...... some people only remember a player's mistakes, but rarely everything that he did well.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    What an evil cross to defend against - watch that bounce in the 6 yard box.
    Defender's nightmare.

Recent goals have put an edge to Magennis' game.
    His movement and anticipation spot on.

Watch Kaikai's run. The bounce of the ball was too quick for him, but his movement was good and occupied the defender, who might otherwise have cleared.

Also watch Ben Reeves moving to take up great positioning to pick up any rebound from a blocked shot.
    Ok he wasn't needed that time, but good reading and anticipation.

Somebody tell Reeves he's not supposed to celebrate in front of his old fans :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Just watched the low camera angle again. I can't quite be sure, but was that an own goal?
    Maybe it came off the defender's head?

I want it to be Mag's goal, but what do other's think?
  • Options
    I thought it was an own goal at the game yesterday. Just watched that back in the video above and think maybe it hits the top of the defenders head, onto Josh's head and goes in.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Just watched the low camera angle again. I can't quite be sure, but was that an own goal?
    Maybe it came off the defender's head?

I want it to be Mag's goal, but what do other's think?

Close call. Possibly og, but wouldn't have been a goal without Josh breathing down his neck.
  • Options
    February is proving to be a good month for our number nine!

Keep it up, Josh #cafc

• Options
    I was in line with that and deffo Josh’s goal slight graze off defenders head but he got the meat of it ...
    Although my eyesight is now shit , so not definitive
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I thought their CB Ward (15) was excellent. Won everything in the air and looked decent on the ball.

We had a good first half, but made the mistake of going two up. After that we looked poor for
    twenty minutes. We came under a lot of pressure after conceding, giving the ball away too often, and were starting to look panicked. In the end going three at the back worked well. Since the disaster v. Oxford (Karl held his hand up for that one) the substitutions haven't been so bad (although arguably the Lennon for Dasilva was asking for trouble). He got massive support throughout out the match: 'Robinson's red army' was sung almost continuously. Great support, over 1,100.

Kaikai looked like a lost soul. He hardly ever got the ball, and when he did he just got rid straight away. Looked nervous rather than disinterested imo. He didn't look like a winger. He doesn't look better than KAG.

Thought Aribo didn't settle today, and Solly also struggled a little. Reeves was busy first half, looked less than solid in the second. Was relieved to see Marshall coming on to shore up the right hand side. Works his socks off, which will do for me in League One.

I think we were lucky that Pearce was on the bench today to replace Bauer. Hope the latter is ok for Shrewsbury.

Josh played well, but unlike some of the reviewers here, I don't think he won much in the air. Really pleased he scored though. Three in four games is it?

We deserved the win, but I'm amongst those nervous about our prospects of promotion. It's an odd league with some unpredictable results and some unpredictable teams. Anything could happen in the next few weeks I guess.

I had a small bet on 3-1. Close when Josh almost scored in the last 10 mins, and Kashi slashed at one when teed up nicely.

When we're sold on Wednesday I'm hoping the knock on effect will be a massive party on Saturday.

[PS Luckily got a lift back to the O2 from Chantel Crawford & her hubby.]

My parents, @JamesSeed who went to the game without telling me :-(
  • Options

I was in line with that and deffo Josh’s goal slight graze off defenders head but he got the meat of it ...
    Although my eyesight is now shit , so not definitive

Haha ..... I want to like and lol

I'll give you the like.

• Options
    Nice to meet @Leuth and @Charlton Aesthetic
    Thought except for a period in the second half we bossed it but have got to score more!
    Also nice to see so many Dads with their youngsters. The future is safe in our hands.

Didn't like the arguing over standing/sitting and 'your sitting in my seat' and 'sit anywhere'
    The millwall songs are boring.