Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phrases you hate

Comments

• Options
    I can’t believe people actually say some of these things - let’s double click?!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    He's hit the beans
    Laters
  • Options
    We go again
  • Options
    Stig said:

I was in a meeting with someone today who kept repeating the phrase 'the art of the possible'. I've no idea what it means and don't want to know either, but she said it five times after I'd started counting so I guess she thinks she's said something important.

Sorry Stig I had to google that (for me) ... you can look away now :smile:

The original phrase is "Politics is the art of the possible", which means, "It's not about what's right or what's best. It's about what you can actually get done". It's associated with Realpolitik, a political philosophy of setting pragmatism over your ideological goals.
  • Options
    Stig said:

T_C_E said:

"Ahhhh, do they bite"
    of course they feckin bite, they are dogs all fecking dogs bite. Will they bite, possibly not unless you bite them or take the pi55 out of what I'm wearing and then they will obey my commands!! ;)

@T_C_E can you do me a favour and edit the last word of your post. If you could shorten it a bit to, say, 'cmnds', the alignment on my phone would make the smiley winky thing look like the head of the dog walker. :wink:
    Try it on an iphone - then it just about works
  • Options
    Pet hate for me, from the Get-go; US crap talk, why not "from the beginning" ???????
  • Options
    lardiman said:

He's hit the beans
    Laters

Simples.
  • Options
    I ain't done nothing.

• Options
    We move on

Parked the bus

The number ten role
  • Options
    What does ‘he’s hit the beans’ mean? Totally new one on me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    "Melt"

A term of abuse used exclusively by cunts.
  • Options

We move on

Parked the bus

The number ten role

...and "we go again".

You mean you aren't going to just close down the club? Of course you're going to go again. FFS.
  • Options

Cunts I don't know who call me "buddy".

Being called son grates with me.

• Options

Rhyming slang. He's hit the beans on toast = post. I first heard Paul Merson say it on Soccer Saturday some years ago.
  • Options
    Managers who say 'the football club' as if we might think they're referring to the golf, country or strip club.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Macronate said:

24/7
    Touch base
    Blue Sky Thinking
    We're On a Journey
    Thought Shower
    Run It Up The Flagpole
    If You Don't Like It Get Off The Bus
    Pick It Up And Run With It
    Let's Get Our Ducks In A Row

Business speak for business morons.

I reckon I use at least one of these every day at work!
    Me too. Used the ducks one a month or so back and then mentioned it on here that I'd used it and how I'd felt a tosser for doing so and thought would be the end of it. However no, it's obviously just created some kind of mental tic in my brain meaning now I can barely get through a day without having to stop myself from using it and scrambling around for another phrase like a gibbering moron in front of colleagues. FFS.
  • Options
    bellz2002 said:

Rhyming slang. He's hit the beans on toast = post. I first heard Paul Merson say it on Soccer Saturday some years ago.

Thanks. That is pretty dire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cheap at half the price.

That one has never made sense to me in the context that it is used.

Perhaps that's because it should be "Cheap at twice the price"? I think the version you refer to is meant to be an ironic reference to something being crap but you're right, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Robust
  • Options

"Enjoy the rest of your day/afternoon/evening". Spoken usually by check-out people. It always seems like a 'company thing' rather than heart-felt by the employee. It's not easy to reply to. Can't say "And you" - they're bloody working!

The correct reply is "What the fuck's it got to do with you what type of day / afternoon / evening I have?".
  • Options
    should of
    could of
    would of
    cappuccinos
    paninis
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Had a new manager once, he said he was a work hard play hard type of guy.

I thought what a tosser.

Blokes who say that have never been in a pub
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

"Ahhhh, do they bite"
    of course they feckin bite, they are dogs all fecking dogs bite. Will they bite, possibly not unless you bite them or take the pi55 out of what I'm wearing and then they will obey my commands!! ;)

Reminds me of this, does mw every time -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o
  • Options

iaitch said:

Had a new manager once, he said he was a work hard play hard type of guy.

I thought what a tosser.

Blokes who say that have never been in a pub
    ........have never lived.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

"Melt"

A term of abuse used exclusively by cunts.

You say it like this has happened more than just a couple of times??
  • Options

Cunts I don't know who call me "buddy".

Being called son grates with me.

That's what parents do.