Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour of New Zealand, 2017/18 (with no cricket in 2017)

Comments

• Options
    Richard Hadlee now on TMS, great cricketer talking a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Appalling tactics by England trying to get the last wicket. Broad had flagged up yesterday how they would be using the short-ball more as we had struggled against it but it was so overused it was ridiculous. We got early wickets today with the new ball by pitching it up but when the last two Kiwis were in we decide to try and bounce them out. Root has to take some blame, he looked so out of his depth (not for the first time) moving fielders all the time, following the ball.

Agree, Wood in particular is a real concern in terms of overdoing the bouncer - he seems to bowl nothing else.
  • Options
    Cook gone, in more than one way. Pushed at a ball outside his off stump he should have been nowhere near. I've been a massive fan of Cook but he's finished. Yes he scored 200+ at the G but then it's the only Test that was a draw because the pitch was so dead. So people say he's still worth his place because of that knock and the biggie V SA last summer but he's not. If we keep him this coming home season against Pak and India (who are both poor tourists recently) and he gets a few scores then we'll have to play him in next years Ashes (which he wants). Sorry but the bloke just hasn't got the hunger, even if he says he has.
  • Options
    And replace him with who? Keaton Jennings?
  • Options

Look, as I have said before, you cannot keep picking players based on their record, however brilliant it is. Cook is our leading run scorer and most centuries etc but every player has their own shelf life. If we just kept picking batsmen with the best record Graham Gooch would still be playing for England.
    You do not have to have a ready made "Great" to replace another. Sometimes replacements are not obvious but someone will come through.
  • Options
    Stoneman given out caught behind by the on-field umpire, the TMS team and me. He challenged and was clearly 100% not out. I still don't like DRS.
  • Options
    50 for Vince. I so much want him to make it. He is a beautiful player but as we know he has not performed consistently yet at the top level. Let's hope he goes on to make a big score and secure his place.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Look, as I have said before, you cannot keep picking players based on their record, however brilliant it is. Cook is our leading run scorer and most centuries etc but every player has their own shelf life. If we just kept picking batsmen with the best record Graham Gooch would still be playing for England.
    You do not have to have a ready made "Great" to replace another. Sometimes replacements are not obvious but someone will come through.
    So, who do you replace him with? Or would you go in one short?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    144-1, 44 overs

Stoneman 58*
    Vince 70*

Could be a match winning partnership here? 120 runs since the last wicket.
  • Options
    147-2 lol I should shut up.

Stoneman gone to Southee. Caught behind for 60. Great catch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    148-2

Stoneman Out for 60

Lead of 177

Echo
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    165-3

Vince gone for 76. Drives at a ball that he could've left alone and nicks to the slips.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Well, the hope is that Hameed will come back stronger after a lean 2nd season. He is someone who no doubt will have been working very hard on his game and clearly has the ability to eventually takes Cooks place. The other thing is that Stonemab looks very close to cementing the other opening position - once he starts converting the 50's into 100's

BTW NZ got 278, which posters seemed to have omitted to say above.
    And Eng were 202-3 at close.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Riviera said:

Stoneman given out caught behind by the on-field umpire, the TMS team and me. He challenged and was clearly 100% not out. I still don't like DRS.

Classic.
  • Options

165-3

Vince gone for 76. Drives at a ball that he could've left alone and nicks to the slips.

I believe the cricket writers have that phrase on cut and paste, ready to add each time Vince gets out.
  • Options
    Vince is a very frustrating player. He looks like a world beater with one of the best cover drives in the business. Then he will play a loose shot and get out.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    What has happened to McClenaghan, Milne and Anderson ?
    a frontline bowling attack of Boult,Milne,Mcc looks pretty awesome- a lot more threatening than Wagner and De Grandhomme.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Sounds just like the argument put up when we wanted to get rid of KR. There is always an option. Bite the bullet & the see what happens.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Broad/Anderson/Boult/Southee = 23 wickets for 359
    Wood/Stokes/Leech/Root/Wagner/de Grandhomme/Sodhi = 0-412
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Bowyer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oz putting up some resistance....207-9, including a maiden test fifty for Cummins - however, still 80 short of avoiding the follow-on.
    In Morkels last Test Match, he has gone off injured with a side-strain !
  • Options
    Holy shit, that is incredible from Elgar
  • Options
    221 all out still 260 runs behind, but SA dont enforce the folow-on - they're gonna grind Oz into the dirt instead - when all Oz want to do is jump on the plane and fly home.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Sounds just like the argument put up when we wanted to get rid of KR. There is always an option. Bite the bullet & the see what happens.
    "Bite the bullet and see what happens" doesn't seem to be the most sound strategic position to hold.

My view is that Cook is our most prolific ever batsman, has made big scores against all the best teams and has always had a hunger to excel when it most matters. If he still has the desire, he's a certainty, in my opinion.

There is no better English opening batsman. The only candidates are already in the team. One wants to bar at 4, the other is the wicket-keeper.

I think it's only fair to ask this question of anyone who wants him dropped: who would you bring in to replace him?
  • Options
    SA 54-1. 321 runs ahead, Markram out just as he gets to 1000 Test runs - the 2nd fastest after Graeme Smith.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Riviera said:

"Bite the bullet and see what happens" doesn't seem to be the most sound strategic position to hold.

My view is that Cook is our most prolific ever batsman, has made big scores against all the best teams and has always had a hunger to excel when it most matters. If he still has the desire, he's a certainty, in my opinion.

There is no better English opening batsman. The only candidates are already in the team. One wants to bar at 4, the other is the wicket-keeper.

I think it's only fair to ask this question of anyone who wants him dropped: who would you bring in to replace him?
    I have no idea as I don't follow County cricket - but this was just the argument we were having 2 months ago about KR & if we had ditched him a momth earlier then We'd be safely in the play-offs.

How many County teams are there ?? 12/14 ?? 2 opening batsmen each makes around 2 dozen - half are probably foreign, so make that a dozen - then there are the No 3's who could & probably do open, so that makes around 20. If NONE of those 20 are any good then county cricket is in a mess.
  • Options
    Big difference between County Cricket and Test Cricket.
  • Options
    Top 10 batsmen in Div 1 last year...

• Options
    Discount about 15 of them for playing in division 2, Darren Stevens is not mitch starc!!

Then discount Robson, Lyth, Jennings, Trott et al the choice really doesn't look as good.
  • Options
    Put Bairstow to open, I am sure he could do it. Put Foakes in at number seven.