Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Charlton related photos

Comments

• Options
    https://www.facebook.com/
    Just seen this on Facebook. Never seen this one before.

Size of the fella to the right of centre, three quarters of the way back in the black hat. Looks like he's stooping but still looks a good foot taller than the blokes around him. 

Imagine fighting your way through the crowd to get into the ground and then being stood behind him!
  • Options
    He’s the fella who always sits in front of me at the theatre ffs
  • Options
    He’s the fella who always sits in front of me at the theatre ffs
    I have similar luck.
    Last time I went I was behind a woman with a massive afro.
    I couldn't see any of the centre area of the stage.
  • Options
    1993.Charlton Reserves vs Southampton Reserves. American International Paul Caligiuri on trial for Charlton. The old East Terrace in the background. 
  • Options

Showed this to my mum as this was the era when she first started going to Charlton when she was 9 years old. She lived on Floyd Road. Her reaction:

“Wonderful that's Maudie Shaw's old shop! Those were the days! ❤️
    Is there a date on this pic?  I'm guessing 1936.
    The original post I saw tells us that it is 1949, but our own super sleuth Lewis Coaches thinks earlier. I have no idea.
  • Options
    1993.Charlton Reserves vs Southampton Reserves. American International Paul Caligiuri on trial for Charlton. The old East Terrace in the background. 
    Is he the one who wanted to marry his horse?
  • Options
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2919607224753491/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=7296247123756124

Link to some photos of Arthur Turner, who played in the 1946 cup final, plus other info about his life and death.
  • Options
    edited April 8

Showed this to my mum as this was the era when she first started going to Charlton when she was 9 years old. She lived on Floyd Road. Her reaction:

Is there a date on this pic?  Im guessing 1936.
    I'm guessing as well, but you're a long way out Henry. I'd say 1954.
    I can see Stuart Leary extreme right and Billy Keirnan all in white. Benny Fenton center front row, not sure if he was actually a player at the time this photo was taken, maybe a coach…..or trainer as they were called in those days.
    Maybe from that info you/we can get a better idea, I’d say 50/55.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Size of the fella to the right of centre, three quarters of the way back in the black hat. Looks like he's stooping but still looks a good foot taller than the blokes around him. 

Imagine fighting your way through the crowd to get into the ground and then being stood behind him!
    Mmmmm…….spot the pickpocket.🫣
  • Options
    edited April 8

Is there a date on this pic?  Im guessing 1936.
    I'm guessing as well, but you're a long way out Henry. I'd say 1954.
    Your guess would seem to make more sense. The CAFC signs are weather worn and probably had been up a few years and at those prices seem a bit steep for pre-war and that 1/3 would have been in line with the minimum introduced in 1946. The weathering and the absence of lots of people in army military uniform probably pushes it into the 50s; and the absence of DA’s being sported probably adds it being pre-1955 (?) - somebody a lot older than me will know the answer to that guess

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

He's on a bicycle, fighting his way to the Cycle Store.  I don't fancy his chances of getting there. 
  • Options

Having checked the records, those were the prices immediately after WW2 up to 1952.  That was the picture I thought was 1930s as that was when we had our biggest crowds

The players walking in Floyd road is after 1952, as that is when Sam opened his shop, and 1955 when Benny Fenton, the best manager we never had, left to manage Colchester. Should have taken over when Seed was sacked but instead turned to the dark side.
  • Options
    According to Colin Cameron’s book Home and Away  stand seats cost 6 shillings and 8 shillings and 6 pence in 1950/1951

1951/ 1952 admission charges for adults 
    were increased to 2 shillings and 2 shillings and 6 pence. Both Standing.

1952/1953 seats 7shillings and 6 pence.
    Standing East Terrance 9pence, 1shilling,
    1shilling and 9pence and 2shillings and 6 pence.

1953/1954 seats 7shillings and 6 pence.

Clear as mud ….Sorry Mr Cameron you would have explained it much better.

Where would we be without your books.👍
  • Options
    edited April 9

Having checked the records, those were the prices immediately after WW2 up to 1952.  That was the picture I thought was 1930s as that was when we had our biggest crowds

The players walking in Floyd road is after 1952, as that is when Sam opened his shop, and 1955 when Benny Fenton, the best manager we never had, left to manage Colchester. Should have taken over when Seed was sacked but instead turned to the dark side.
    He also married Betty Summers…..Johnny’s widow.
  • Options
    edited April 9
    The picture of the players outside Sams sports shop was about 51/52
    Jack Shreeve has just retired and joined the coaching staff and little Billy Kiernan in white joined then.
    Just behind Billy is Harold Phipps and behind him is Johnny Evans often mistaken for Stuart Leary. 

• Options
    Wyborne Junior School (1967-68). Can anyone pick out David Campbell?

• Options

second to the right of the keeper, back row as looking.
  • Options

I would say the one with big ears but that doesn’t narrow it down much 
  • Options

Well that didn't last long. Well done. If you know any other names, the fella who posted this was the team captain and he cant remember their names.
  • Options
    edited April 12

Well that didn't last long. Well done. If you know any other names, the fella who posted this was the team captain and he cant remember their names.

The eyebrows gave it away!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The guy in front of Campbell, Jim Melrose perhaps :)
  • Options

Is there a date on this pic?  I'm guessing 1936.
    The original post I saw tells us that it is 1949, but our own super sleuth Lewis Coaches thinks earlier. I have no idea.
    I would possibly place it as pre-war  judging by the cloth caps and trilby hats. Wonder what ship the sailor in front of the shop was from?
  • Options

Was at school with him - Roan, but couldn’t pick him out!
  • Options

Was at school with him - Roan, but couldn’t pick him out!
    I did.
  • Options
    Anyone fancy collars like that on our new kit?
  • Options
    edited April 18
    Apparently these are of our record attendance match v Aston Villa in 1938. I can believe it from these images.

There were probably more people in that old south terracing in the right of that bottom picture than we get at our games today 
  • Options

We moved on rapidly during this period, as all our stars aligned. 
    So sad that our stars burnt out just as quickly.
    What a brilliant pic. Give or take that was my view for a couple of seasons from 1992. The grass looked wonderfully, implausibly green in those early weeks. I loved being home and also having the best pitch too. ❤️