Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Plymouth | Sat 24 Mar | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Plymouth Argyle
Saturday 24th March 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: John Busby

Introduction

Well you can’t say it’s not been an interesting week - With Roland’s reign at Charlton almost at an end, it was the turn of the Manager to walk away from the club. Karl Robinson, realising that new owners would want their own man, jumped ship to Oxford. It means we approach tomorrows match as threadbare club, with no manager and players off on International duty… this really is the wrong time to face another side looking to reach the Play-Offs!!

The Opposition
Name: Plymouth Argyle | Manager: Derek Adams
Ground: Home Park

When sides come up from the league below, you always expect at least one of them to be challenging for promotion once again the next year… For me, I expected that side to be Plymouth so when they made such a slow start to their season I was as surprised as anyone, sadly the only shining light in those first three months was a sole victory… Against Charlton!!

That result came on the second weekend of the season, and was the second time in the week when Charlton would travel to Devon, despite dominating proceedings Plymouth would steal the three points in what was a 2-0 victory… Between then and the 21st October… just four further points were won, my prediction of a Plymouth threat at our end of the table looked rather premature.

This week though Plymouth visit the Valley as strong favourites (not just because of the situation that Charlton find themselves in… The Pilgrims have lost on just three occasions since the end of October, and with only one defeat away from home, this wont be an easy game – Graham Carey the main man to watch for the opponents, the Irish Playmaker being an ideal sort of replacement for our very own Ricky Holmes…

Charlton Team News
Its never easy to predict the team yet with Karl Robinson leaving, that job has been made even harder… Lee Bowyer has stepped into the breach as temporary Caretaker Manager, and having been part of the Liverpudlians staff, you’d expect to see the same sort of formation being played out.

Of course, that job has been made harder by the fact its International week (and yes, Charlton are playing) – With Jay Dasilva injured there was no chance of this fixture being postponed, and so the Addicks must go up against the Pilgrims with two instant absentees (Josh Magennis and Ezri Konsa)…

For the latter you’d expect a straight swap with Anfernee Dijksteel stepping into the site, whilst as Charlton fans we must hope that Bowyer decides to stick two up front, after Michal Zyro and Nicky Ajose impressed during their 30min cameo last weekend.

Amos
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Page
Marshall | Aribo | Forster-Caskey | Fosu
Zyro | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Lennon | Sarr | Jackson | Kaikai | Reeves | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Its been such a disruptive week at Charlton, I doubt many care about the result tomorrow – A win will put us two points behind Plymouth (with a game in hand), yet there are few who expect such a positive result… Its almost an attitude of, lets get this season out the way and regroup under the new regime for the next season.

Comments

• Options
    2-1 home win. Fosu with both robinson takes full responsibility in his post match rantngsBowyer explains the upturn in fortune - Karl Robinson wasn't in the dug out.
  • Options
    Charlton fans go home bemoaning the fact there’s one less thing to moan about and how their usual Saturday night routine has to be changed now...
  • Options
    Would love three points but we won’t get them.

My focus at the moment is still on the takeover.

0 - 2
  • Options
    Would love to see a win. The form league says otherwise so hoping for the new manager bounce to defy current form. 1-0 to the reds.
  • Options
    1-1 Hard fought draw against a team in great form.

Zyro for us.
  • Options
    2-0
    The team are up for it, the crowd roar fhem on, we all go home happy.

Or

The team crumble, a few half hearted chants of Roland out and it's another Saturday in se7.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    The imminent takeover appears near certain yet RD still owns the club. My dilemma is do I continue my boycott or not?
  • Options
    More hopeful now, but Plymouths good form and good turn out will spur them on for a famous win at the valley. 2-1 Loss, play offs look more unlikely
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    @ForeverAddickted got a feeling that Mavididi will be in the squad.
  • Options
    Not sure if this is the dawn or the darkest hour - it could go either way. I'll be looking to see which of the players have a backbone and those that don't - though hopefully Bowyer/Jackson may already have this sussed.
  • Options
    Gonna go for a 1 - 1 Draw after recent events. Bauer for us from a corner.
  • Options
    Beginning of the week I expected an Addicks defeat and quite comprehensively, middle of the week I thought that news of the takeover being close again might have brought a little positivity and I thought we may get a draw. Just watched LB's live press conference, he has made me change my mind again......2-1 Addicks. By the way I used to be indecisive now I'm not so sure!!
  • Options
    I want to go but arranging other things during my semi-boycott means that I'm struggling to get to The Valley this week. If I make it, we are bound to lose, but if I can't get clear of the vets and shopping for door latches in time, we might have a chance of a famous win. COYA!

PS Bo Jackson - now there was a sportman! One of the few athletes to be named an All-Star in two major sports, and the only one to do so in both baseball and football.
  • Options
    Me and my dad making the long journey down tomorrow to the Valley as we haven't been to the Valley for far too long, we haven't been together since I was about 15 (I'm 25 now!) Not sure what to expect but quietly hopeful for a point. I reckon with the takeover almost finished, new managers with Charlton at their heart, and a (hopefully) rejuvenated crowd we might be able to scrape something. If we lose I wouldn't be shocked but after my last match being Away at Blackpool I feel it can only be better tomorrow... hopefully I'm not wrong or I might purposefully crash on my way back up the M1.
  • Options

The imminent takeover appears near certain yet RD still owns the club. My dilemma is do I continue my boycott or not?

go, Roland will be gone within the week. I'm trying to get out of a promised trip to Bluewater but don't rate my chances.
  • Options
    oh, and a win for The Addicks 3-1.
  • Options
    Hard to call this one. Head says 1-2 loss, heart says - change of approach - team bounce - a 2-1 win! Like the line up but wonder how long Page will last - has he ever made 90 minutes?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This game is badly timed, 2 out on international duty, injured players not ready to return

However, a change of management AND the imminent sale of the club (so it seems) should boost the crowd and atmosphere, so what seemed like a certain defeat could be turned around...
  • Options
    Not too disappointed that Magennis will be missing. Chance for other options up top.
  • Options
    Atmosphere should be good with the crowd behind Lee and JJ but I think the old problem of finding the back of the net combined with our usual generosity of giving away soft goals will be our undoing. Head says away win for the Green Army - but as someone once said "it's a funny old game!"
  • Options
    Are Plymouth a big strong dirty typical League One team or a good footballing side? I honestly don't know - I know they were a dirty bunch when they finished Todorov's career a few years back.

If they are the former - we will struggle, if they are a bit of both it is going to be tough, but if the latter we have a chance!
  • Options
    Despite the change in manager I can’t see anything other than a Plymouth win and the odds are crazy good too.
    If we do win then questions have to be asked at to why the players didn’t do it in recent weeks .
    3-1 Plymouth win.
  • Options
    Argyle are a big and physical team. We don’t do well against this sort of team. If we get a win it will be a huge result. 1-1
  • Options
    Come on Charlton, don’t let me down. I’m feeling pretty upbeat at the moment. The future’s bright, the future’s Red n White (When the Aussies take over, that is)
  • Options
    2-1 To LB's (Assisted by JJ) Red & White Army
  • Options
    2-1 Charlton
  • Options

Not too disappointed that Magennis will be missing. Chance for other options up top.

I would like him on the bench though, we're not exactly blessed with attacking options