Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer potentially last game in charge on Monday

Comments

• Bowyer potentially last game in charge on Monday - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Potential new owners would be bonkers to make a change. Give Bowyer the rest of the season, see where we end up and then make a call.

Which will then see whoever appointed and Bowyer hoping he is kept on.

• If they want the Charlton fans to instantly hate them...then they should do it.

If you have to bring a manager it...do it in the summer!

Changing it now will demoralise the players if they are doing well...too much change.

• If new owners came in and installed a mediocre manager prior to the end of the season it would suggest we've got more idiots in charge. Lee has got a bit of momentum going so please don't derail it....
  • Thanks for the memories Lee
  • What would you rather happen....club gets sold next week and Kewell installed as manager or Club does not get sold until end of season but Bowyer stays on as manager? Dare I say it but I'm thinking 2nd option. I loved watching that today although granted it was a poor Northampton side.
  • edited March 2018
    In all honesty, I have faith that the new owners will be intelligent enough to give this management time to play out. If they did bring Kewell in after a win in Monday, it would be unfair on him. Can't see it happening. The law of averages suggests they won't be idiots like Roland so I doubt whilst we are winning they would change things.
  • Of course better option club gets sold next week and they keep Bowyer on
  • ct_addick said:

Of course better option club gets sold next week and they keep Bowyer on

People would be doing cartwheels - and we'd get promoted.

• Sponsored links:

• They can bring in Kewell, as Bow's assistant, if they really rate Kewell for being more than just an Australian.
  • But why change something that is working? - let it settle and see what we are left with.
  • it seems to have been dismissed by some but maybe Bow doesn’t want the job on a full time basis, he said in that article that he wasn’t sure if it was what he wanted long term. I’m disappointed reading some people state that if Bow was replaced next week the new owners would be instantly hated. That would surely depend on who they brought in and also they need to be looking long term.
  • edited March 2018
    It wouldn't be the cleverest thing to do. I mean, why not see where this takes us before messing about with it? I suspect the new owners will have enough common sense to take this approach.
  • edited March 2018

it seems to have been dismissed by some but maybe Bow doesn’t want the job on a full time basis, he said in that article that he wasn’t sure if it was what he wanted long term. I’m disappointed reading some people state that if Bow was replaced next week the new owners would be instantly hated. That would surely depend on who they brought in and also they need to be looking long term.

Large. I get what you're saying. But surely Bowyer ticks so many boxes at the moment.
    Might not want it long term but he said he's loving it today. Even a short stint could be the best long term solution as things stand.
  • WSA said:

Bowyer potentially last game in charge on Monday - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Removing Bow before the end of the season is the sort of stupid decision a nutter like Roland would make.
  • We need a manager with passion.

Bring back Karl Robinson, he deserves a chance with these players.

Or CP

Pmsl
  • edited March 2018
    Ferryman said:

WSA said:

Bowyer potentially last game in charge on Monday - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Removing Bow before the end of the season is the sort of stupid decision a nutter like Roland would make.
    Agreed and thankfully that level of abject stupidity is rare. We certainly shouldn't be expecting it from the new owners.
  • edited March 2018
    Deserves a chance to show whether this is a flash in the pan or the start of a great managerial career.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's worked under some good managers. Sir Bobby was one of my favorite managers of all time. Let's hope it rubbed off on Lee !
  • New manager bounce nothing more.

On a serious note, we are yet to have any new owners so will take it all with a pinch of salt, but, as a caretaker manager you have to expect and accept that he's in the job on a very short interim basis.

It's only two games but what a two games it's already been, a couple of simple changes and we look a different team entirely - regardless of any takeover he should be given the remaining season, changing and bringing in "their man" means a new team coming in, learning the players, players learning management, etc and waiting for that all to "gel". That potentially sees the team slipping back down to mid table nothingness and fan's questioning the new set up already.

There really doesn't seem to be any point in changing now and hopefully we won't get any.
  • 7/4 now to remain in charge now... Kewell gone from 1/10 out to 1/1. I know I know it's all due to the small market and who's putting money where etc etc but I'm still feeling a wee bit smug I got on it when he was 16/1!

Also I don't buy that he wouldn't want the job longer term - he played at the highest level of football due to having ambition just as much as talent.
  • Two games in and Bowyer is looking a very good shout. The bottom line is though, we don't know what deals might have already been made to secure a manager. For too long our club has been run by people who are dishonest and untrustworthy. I wan't the new owners to be people of honour. I certainly won't be throwing my toys out of the pram if they bring their own man in. I'll just be relieved that we've got rid of old Yellow Tooth.
  • Put the kettle on, nice couple of Charlie and a few biccies,lovely, thanks Lee.
  • @Stig for that to be the case though it would have to be a manager that hasn't been mentioned so far - Kewell is on record saying he hasn't been approached by anyone, CP hasn't commented as far as I know but has only just signed a contract with Southend - you would think there would be some kind of hint as to who "their own man" would be if a deal had been made with them - even a rumour?

My guess would be they have a preferred man (maybe even a shortlist) that may not necessarily have been approached yet but one would hope they would have the flexibility and understanding (missing from ol' yellow tooth as well) that a change at this late stage of the season would be a much bigger risk to our play-off chances than waiting and giving Bowyer (and in a way, the fans who are backing him) a shot.

• Something is happening - it could go flat, but at this stage of the season it is worth seeing where it goes. That is just common sense - as is having an idea who you want as your manager when you take over. But this has to be flexible enough to take advantage of an unexpected opportunity which is what is occurring now to my eyes.