Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• edited September 2018
    As I am at the Oval I will be able to add Cook to my list which already has these names on:
    Peter Parfitt
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Graeme Watson
    John Inverarity
    Max Walker
    Mick Malone
    Alan Butcher
    Paul Parker
    Mike Brearley
    Tony Greig
    Alan Knott
    Mike Hendrick

These are players who I have seen playing in their final Test, probably a few more over the years.
  • Riviera said:

As I am at the Oval I will be able to add Cook to my list which already has these names on:
    Peter Parfitt
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Graeme Watson
    John Inverarity
    Max Walker
    Mick Malone
    Alan Butcher
    Paul Parker
    Mike Brearley
    Alan Knott
    Mike Hendrick

These are players who I have seen playing in their final Test, probably a few more over the years.

not sure if any of those would have known at the time it was their final test
  • lolwray said:

Riviera said:

Peter Parfitt
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Graeme Watson
    John Inverarity
    Max Walker
    Mick Malone
    Alan Butcher
    Paul Parker
    Mike Brearley
    Alan Knott
    Mike Hendrick

So?
  • I was at Edgbaston earlier this summer, Dawid Malan's final Test?
  • Riviera said:

Peter Parfitt
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Graeme Watson
    John Inverarity
    Max Walker
    Mick Malone
    Alan Butcher
    Paul Parker
    Mike Brearley
    Tony Greig
    Alan Knott
    Mike Hendrick

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

Riviera said:

Peter Parfitt
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Graeme Watson
    John Inverarity
    Max Walker
    Mick Malone
    Alan Butcher
    Paul Parker
    Mike Brearley
    Alan Knott
    Mike Hendrick

So?
    so ..i suppose you are an ancient old fart like me who hasnt seen anyone play their last test at the Oval for nigh on 40 years ..it would probably mean more to people if you said you had seen the last tests of top players who had announced their retirement such as a Curtly Ambrose or a Don Bradman or even Cook

i ll raise you with a Don Wilson
  • A fantastic career considering he probably faced a new ball more than any other test batsman.
  • Riviera said:

Peter Parfitt
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Graeme Watson
    John Inverarity
    Max Walker
    Mick Malone
    Alan Butcher
    Paul Parker
    Mike Brearley
    Tony Greig
    Alan Knott
    Mike Hendrick

There are some very good players there, I think that was Alan Butcher's only test and maybe Paul Parker only played one test, I cant remember Mick Malone was he an Aussie?
  • Riviera said:

Peter Parfitt
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Graeme Watson
    John Inverarity
    Max Walker
    Mick Malone
    Alan Butcher
    Paul Parker
    Mike Brearley
    Tony Greig
    Alan Knott
    Mike Hendrick

There are some very good players there, I think that was Alan Butcher's only test and maybe Paul Parker only played one test, I cant remember Mick Malone was he an Aussie?
    Yes they were Butchers and Parkers only Tests. It was also Malones, he was a young Aussie (1977) who had joined Packer. His Test record is pretty good, averages 44.00 with the bat and about 12.00 with the ball!
  • Sponsored links:

• Cook retires from international cricket .. just the right time before his great deeds become overshadowed by his recent poor form .. superb batsman, poor skipper, nice guy, as tenacious as a pitbull .. AND .. will we ever see the likes again ? .. I doubt it as the 1 day game assumes more and more importance .. thanks Alastair
  • lolwray said:

Riviera said:

Peter Parfitt
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Graeme Watson
    John Inverarity
    Max Walker
    Mick Malone
    Alan Butcher
    Paul Parker
    Mike Brearley
    Tony Greig
    Alan Knott
    Mike Hendrick

Riviera said:

lolwray said:

Riviera said:

Peter Parfitt
    Basil D'Oliveira
    Graeme Watson
    John Inverarity
    Max Walker
    Mick Malone
    Alan Butcher
    Paul Parker
    Mike Brearley
    Alan Knott
    Mike Hendrick

So?
    so ..i suppose you are an ancient old fart like me who hasnt seen anyone play their last test at the Oval for nigh on 40 years ..it would probably mean more to people if you said you had seen the last tests of top players who had announced their retirement such as a Curtly Ambrose or a Don Bradman or even Cook

i ll raise you with a Don Wilson
    Mark Lathwell, Leeds 1993
  • 4 matches left in the county championship I think

Any opener scoring a few runs (especially in Div 1) stands a good chance of going on tour this winter, including those like Robson and Stoneman who have been previously dropped
  • Eleven players have played only one Test match for England since the turn of the century. Kerrigan is one but there are ten more since 2000.

Without googling, can you name the full England’s one-Test-wonder XI?
  • Darren Pattinson, or was he earlier?
  • Mason crane
  • Let's not forget cook retires with a world class test bowling average of 7
  • edited September 2018

Eleven players have played only one Test match for England since the turn of the century. Kerrigan is one but there are ten more since 2000.

11? I reckon there were 20 each in the 90's and 80's!
  • Riviera said:

Eleven players have played only one Test match for England since the turn of the century. Kerrigan is one but there are ten more since 2000.

Just checked and there weren't!
  • Sponsored links:

• Jonathan Lewis is the only one from 21C I can name. I know there were a few British Asians but cannot remember their names.
  • Amjad Khan!
  • Scott Borthwick!
  • Boyd Rankin
  • Samit Patel can't have made many appearances?
  • That Irish Bowler fella.
  • Samit Patel can't have made many appearances?

Six caps for Samit.

Pattinson,
    Crane,
    Lewis,
    Khan,
    Borthwick,
    Rankin

are all correct.

Four more to get.
  • Riviera said:

The key part of my original question was 'since the turn of the century' so discounting any 80s or 90s players but we can play that era afterwards if you like. :-)
  • That's another! Three more.