Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Cafc43v3r said:

I have seen some of the dismissals from Taunton online, shocking batting. Leach and Bess were extraordinary given the circumstances, almost like they had a something better to do tomorrow.

So, if I understand it correctly, Somerset needed one run to win with 2 wickets left. So Bess decides to come down the wicket, misses the ball and gets stumped. Then, after enduring a maiden over at the other end, Leach - the 7 wicket hero from earlier on and still only needing a single to win the match - is caught on the boundary. You couldn't make it up!
  • AshBurton said:

Cafc43v3r said:

I have seen some of the dismissals from Taunton online, shocking batting. Leach and Bess were extraordinary given the circumstances, almost like they had a something better to do tomorrow.

So, if I understand it correctly, Somerset needed one run to win with 2 wickets left. So Bess decides to come down the wicket, misses the ball and gets stumped. Then, after enduring a maiden over at the other end, Leach - the 7 wicket hero from earlier on and still only needing a single to win the match - is caught on the boundary. You couldn't make it up!
    If this match had happened in say Pakistan, there would have been all sorts of allegations...
  • AshBurton said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Anyone would think they wanted Surrey to win the league!
  • edited September 2018
    Must admit it does look dodgy any club skipper would be going absolutely ape shit if that happened
  • AshBurton said:

Cafc43v3r said:

the pressure turns onto the batting side when the target reaches single figures. Like the famous Ashes Test in 2005, once it gets down to a handful of runs needed the batsmen are mire concerned about not cocking it up now that they have got that close. From the little I saw on Sky news, Leach prob thought a whack over the infield was better than getting out prodding forward as there were a few men around the bat .
  • For once you are correct Golfie. Heroic run chases by 9, 10 and Jack are very exciting and often appear to be a smooth ride. However once the total runs required reach sub 15/10 the attitude of the chasing team changes, especially if they are 9 down by then.
  • I'd be so happy for Joe Denly if he was called up, I was elated when he came back to Kent even though a lot of people branded him a failure. He has done everything right this year and looks such a composed, controlled cricketer it would really fuck me off if He was chucked in and discarded however seeing the positive. He absolutely deserves a chance. Same as Roy and Burns
  • Carter said:

I'd be so happy for Joe Denly if he was called up, I was elated when he came back to Kent even though a lot of people branded him a failure. He has done everything right this year and looks such a composed, controlled cricketer it would really fuck me off if He was chucked in and discarded however seeing the positive. He absolutely deserves a chance. Same as Roy and Burns

I can see Denly being called up for overseas tours on turning pitches as an all rounder. Maybe England need to be more flexible with their teams, picking different people for different countries. Ed Smith noted for example that Malan looked very good in Australia, but struggles against the moving ball
  • i really cant understand why Joe Denly is being talked up..are we just thinking of him as a 1 day all rounder ?

surely not test class?
  • Sponsored links:

• if bairstow is keeping id be tempted to bat stokes at 5 buttler 6 and put the sulky ginger at 7
  • Just seen all the Somerset wickets, combination of some good balls, some excellent catches and some awful shots, didn't look like many of them got unplayable devileries.

Re the England keeper. If butler is going to be the long term vice captain and potential captain for all 3 forms. Bairstow should keep.

If we are in the field in Sri lanker for 2 days there is no reason he couldn't drop down a place in the order if we lose quick wickets. If he grinds out a Dean Jones innings butler could then keep. Having flexibility in the order, with all the all rounders and 2 keepers is something england need to use more.

By the same token they should use Ali as a "new ball watch man" for Root. Wicket in the first ten or so overs Ali bat's at 3, if not Root does.

I don't think Root copes well with all the captain stuff and then having to bat straight away. Either before or during the game.
  • I don't know if Stokes is fit to bowl, but this is distorting the team as once again we have potentially 6 bowlers. Indeed if you include Root and Jennings, that 8 bowling options and 2 wicket keepers. Cook is only one who just bats!

I can't see Rashid bowling much IF Stokes is able to bowl. I'd have picked a proper number 3 (e.g. Burns) instead. As it is they've called up Pope and left him out, just as they left Vince out last match
  • Cook is only one who just bats!

He has a test bowling average of 7!!!!
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Cook is only one who just bats!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/11691/scorecard/667711/england-vs-india-1st-investec-test-india-tour-of-england-2014

His wicket was Ishant Sharma 4 years ago. I think Ishant has had revenge a few times since!
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Cook is only one who just bats!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/11691/scorecard/667711/england-vs-india-1st-investec-test-india-tour-of-england-2014

His wicket was Ishant Sharma 4 years ago. I think Ishant has had revenge a few times since!
    Listening to the Tailenders podcast, Greg James and Felix White where trying to persuade Jimmy to influence Root and get Cook to bowl.Jimmy said the bowlers would love to see Cook bowl just to get his test average above theirs.
  • I remember the wicket, he was doing a Bob Willis impression.

Any one know when he bowled his 3rd over?
    It obviously went for 1 run.
  • I'm off to the Oval tomorrow, hopefully England bat first so i can watch cook bat live one last time!
  • Hope he weathers better than today
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm off to the Oval tomorrow, hopefully England bat first so i can watch cook bat live one last time!

Ditto.

Ditto.
    Hopefully England bat second and you watch cook bat one last time. For two whole sessions.
  • Beautiful morning in SE London
  • Can't remember the last time I was this desperate for an individual player to get a hundred. Come on cooky, sign off in style.
  • We won the toss and are batting
  • Nice touch from India

• So far it feels like a more normal day's cricket, steady scoring, no clumps of wickets
  • So far it feels like a more normal day's cricket, steady scoring, no clumps of wickets

Well, that was a silly thing to say...

Well, that was a silly thing to say...
    I like living dangerously