Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Whether we win 3-1, 3-2 or 4-1 we have beaten India. Yes it doesn’t mean we are the best team in the world nor does it mean there isn’t still questions. But it’s an important win and is a success.

Plenty of positives to take, Buttler and Curran the biggest two for me. I do think we missed a trick not giving a game to one or two as we do need to find at least 2 quality top 5 batsman from somewhere.

We might have beaten India but over the 5 matches can you honestly say we were the better team ?? Without Curran saving us twice & Butler once tge serues could easily have been lost 2-1 / 3-1.
    Golfie, you really are incredible. We're deservedly 3-1 up and you're saying we haven't been better.
    I'll grant you there is not much in it as they have Kohli, but we have been better.
    3-1 is a bit flattering as England won the 2 tight Tests.

If Bumrah had been available for the 1st 2 Tests, things might easily have been different, seeing that England only one the first test by 31 runs.
  • Whether we win 3-1, 3-2 or 4-1 we have beaten India. Yes it doesn’t mean we are the best team in the world nor does it mean there isn’t still questions. But it’s an important win and is a success.

Plenty of positives to take, Buttler and Curran the biggest two for me. I do think we missed a trick not giving a game to one or two as we do need to find at least 2 quality top 5 batsman from somewhere.

We might have beaten India but over the 5 matches can you honestly say we were the better team ?? Without Curran saving us twice & Butler once tge serues could easily have been lost 2-1 / 3-1.
    Golfie, you really are incredible. We're deservedly 3-1 up and you're saying we haven't been better.
    I'll grant you there is not much in it as they have Kohli, but we have been better.

If Bumrah had been available for the 1st 2 Tests, things might easily have been different, seeing that England only one the first test by 31 runs.
    I agree, but Bumrah didn't play.
    If Kohli hadn't played in the series we might be winning 4-0 :wink:

And if Glenn McGrath hadn't trod on a stray practice ball in 2005 we probably wouldn't have won the Ashes

I'd argue the same about not having Stokes on tour last year
  • Both Cook and Moeen were dropped. Yes Moeen got 50 but he averages 45 batting at 7 and the issue is shot selection batting at 3. He is fighting against his natural instincts and it really doesn't suit him to play that way.

Solution for a top 3? Much as I would love to see Denly being given a go, I don't see him as a Test player. Jennings won't be dropped now and the other obvious one at the top would be Burns. Would possibly try Hildreth at 3.
  • Daryl Mitchell to do a Voges?
  • My heart says, for the sri lanka tour:

Denly
    Burns
    Ali
    Root
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Curran
    Rashid
    Broad
    Anderson

Bit harsh on Woakes, but IMO you need to choose two from Stokes, Woakes and Curran.

Plus, unlikely they'll go with such an inexperienced opening pair.
  • Michael Holding saying how, even when a Test series is won, the final Test at the Oval is always well supported.

The ground is in London ffs. There must be close to 10 m people in London & the S/E suburbs. Its not like St Kitts or Barbados.

numpty.

I put up with a lot of crap from you pal. You may have scored 59 at Barnehurst son but you know absolutely Eff all about cricket so do yourself a favour and just STFU!
  • edited September 2018

So India were the better team because Buttler and Curran won matches for England? Right, makes loads of sense

And if Kohli hadn't have scored a load of runs we would have won more comfortably. Same if we hadn't had dropped a load of catches.
  • Riviera said:

Michael Holding saying how, even when a Test series is won, the final Test at the Oval is always well supported.

The ground is in London ffs. There must be close to 10 m people in London & the S/E suburbs. Its not like St Kitts or Barbados.

numpty.

I put up with a lot of crap from you pal. You may have scored 59 at Barnehurst son but you know absolutely Eff all about cricket so do yourself a favour and just STFU!
    Wow.

About a month ago you said something similar to Paulie, and you didn't look great then either.

Quite frankly, from what I've read ,you know absolutely fuck all about cricket - but you know a hell of a lot about how to be a wanker.
    possibly, but Golfie is one miserable bastard to be fair.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe England are really suffering by their best players not playing first class cricket.

How many first class knocks, not in test matches has Jennings had since he was dropped? I think he has had 1 country match during the series and that was a t20.

How can you regain form and confidence if you are only playing against a world class attack?

Ali came back into the team on the back of a double hundred and bag full of wickets.

Root, Butler, Stokes and Bairstow have played a handful of County championship games between them in the last 2 years!

Rashid is a bit different, be intresting if he plays red ball for his new country next season, I would imagine he will.

On top of this every other international team, including Ireland, afghan, Scotland and Holland have players playing first class cricket in this country. NONE of our top class players play first class cricket anywhere else.

Away from the franchise t20s the only to recent examples I can think of are Stokes last winter and Mason Crain getting picked for a Sheffield shield game on his form in club cricket a few years ago.

If your playing County cricket, all forms, you almost bat every other day, if you an England potential player, you will have a decent knock maybe twice a week? Bairstow has faced about 20 balls in the last month!

I think this also explains why a lot of people come into the team, score some runs, look like they have some potential to play at the top level, then regress to blubbering Fools who look like they have never batted in their lives and can't get it off the square.
  • A couple of other points

Bairstow always looks better in test matches straight after Odi series, where he has hit himself into form.

Mark Wood always seems to come in under cooked and out of form, normally at the start of the summer. Then gets dropped or injured.
  • Bet you'd love to be able to review that India!
  • such a good decision!
  • Broad looking...competent!
  • Atrocious captaincy from Kohli this morning. Should have been 3 slips and a close field for all batsmen at all times
  • Great morning - although truly bizarre performance from India.

Sat eating lunch about 10 yards from KP.

I'll send him your regards, @Addick Addict and @cantersaddick

Gooch, Gough, and Tindall (?!) also here.
  • We are bowling soooooo short.
  • Great morning - although truly bizarre performance from India.

Sat eating lunch about 10 yards from KP.

I'll send him your regards, @Addick Addict and @cantersaddick

Gooch, Gough, and Tindall (?!) also here.

Is KP having lunch with Strauss and Cook?
    More chance of Riv getting together with Golfie and The President
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018
    Hahahaha.

Boris Johnson on the big screen to a chorus of boos.
  • That photo deserves a flag!
  • Fuck Reza.

❤❤❤ KP ❤❤❤
  • Enjoyed today. Brilliant seats in front row. Needed to go to the loo and husband said ‘let’s go after we watch kohli get his 50’. I said ‘let’s go when he gets out before his 50’ he was on 49. Next ball. Gone. Lovely.

Indian fans were superb. Spent 20 mins after tea dancing with the drummers and Indian fans under the ocs.

A good day. Roll on St Lucia; our next live cricket date.
  • At The Oval. Looking forward to seeing Cook walk out for his final England innings
  • edited September 2018
    268-9. India trail England by 64 runs with 1 wicket remaining
  • Jennings has dropped a sitter there

We might have beaten India but over the 5 matches can you honestly say we were the better team ??
    Yes.