Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• I don't mind a batsman grinding out an innings, but usually to save a match or when a team is 80/4 & you need to steady the ship. At the moment they look like they are swimming in treacle & no attacking shots at all.

bore fest.

Disagree. This is proper Test cricket.. Bowlers making batsmen work very hard for their runs. Batsmen toughing it out. Set a platform to allow the likes of Buttler, Stokes Bairstow to play their shots tomorrow.
    I agree England need to play "proper" Test cricket, but this has been pretty tortuous. It's not as if Moeen has been in control, playing solid defensive shots or pushing singles. He's basically been lucky to still be out there.

Cook finally bowled. India deserved more wickets today
    Well exactly. If you are struggling you tough it out, wait for the bowlers to ease off a bit and take advantage then. That's what he's done and fair play to him. May not be boundaries every ball, but it's what is required.
  • The collapse is on.
  • edited September 2018
    Umps took ages over Roor's decision......I reckon the appeal woke him up & had to take a few seconds to realise where he was.
  • edited September 2018
    Bairstow gone now.
  • This is putting Moeen's innings in context, I hope
  • Leuth said:

This is putting Moeen's innings in context, I hope

He has been incredibly lucky though. Plays and misses 25 times, whereas Bairstow nicks behind his 4th ball
  • come on the bearded wonder.

• Seriously - how can that last ball that was given as 4 byes not been wides? The ball has to be within the reach of the batsman and at that pace it simply isn't.
  • Some of the byes given by the umpires this series that are so obviously wides is ridiculous.
    I would not be happy if I was the wicket keeper.
  • Some of the byes given by the umpires this series that are so obviously wides is ridiculous.
    I would not be happy if I was the wicket keeper.

I wouldn't be happy if you were the wicketkeeper either. Seriously though I totally agree with you.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018
    50 for Ali.
    Now calm yourself down Leuth. :wink:
  • What a fighting knock!
  • Maybe I shouldn't have said anything
  • Leuth said:

What a fighting knock!

Cheers mate
    I try my best
  • Still a damned good effort in the face of some brilliant bowling
  • 177-7

England change things up by scoring runs at the top of the order and having a middle/late order collapse instead
  • Ali out for 50

Curran out 2nd ball

6 wickets for 50 runs this afternoon.
  • All this series win has done is paper over the cracks. England have serious problems with their batting at test level
  • The good thing is England’s bowlers will love seeing the ball moving around like it has been.
  • For all the youngsters on here today's play was just like it used to be back in the day.
    Not the most exciting I'll admit but proper test match cricket.

Love it.
  • Sponsored links:

• For all the youngsters on here today's play was just like it used to be back in the day.

Love it.

Yeah......I remember Lamby, Gower, Beefy, Gooch, Smith all playing cautios innings & going at 2 runs per over.

All today has shown is that you can make a Test match last 5 days instead of 4 - we scored less runs in more overs than any of the other 8 innings......but are no better off.

Love it.

Yeah......I remember Lamby, Gower, Beefy, Gooch, Smith all playing cautios innings & going at 2 runs per over.

All today has shown is that you can make a Test match last 5 days instead of 4 - we scored less runs in more overs than any of the other 8 innings......but are no better off.
    You're right in the sense that the scoreboard looks pretty woeful but Cook and Ali played the conditions. It's the batsmen who followed that let us down.

Few know The Oval better than Alec Stewart and he said on TMS this morning that batsmen would have to work hard for their runs but that it was a good toss to win and a 450 wicket if you batted properly.
  • LenGlover said:

For all the youngsters on here today's play was just like it used to be back in the day.

Love it.

You're right in the sense that the scoreboard looks pretty woeful but Cook and Ali played the conditions. It's the batsmen who followed that let us down.

Few know The Oval better than Alec Stewart and he said on TMS this morning that batsmen would have to work hard for their runs but that it was a good toss to win and a 450 wicket if you batted properly.
    I agree with this, Leuth is into something though, the Indian bowling was fucking brilliant and they can count themselves unlucky not to have gotten more wickets

I can't remember what test or tragically, what year but I remember watching Anderson and Broad bowl one of the most intense, horrible sessions of ashes cricket ever and not get a single wicket (we were playing down under and this was the first session) the Aussies rode a lot of luck and also batted well. It's test cricket, you like it and get it or you don't
  • LenGlover said:

For all the youngsters on here today's play was just like it used to be back in the day.

Love it.

To fair, all the England batsmen played in a similar way, but Moeen got lucky - missing the ball a ridiculous number of times, and dropped on 2 when he did nick it, whereas the batsmen who followed him didn't.

India do have a really good pace attack in English conditions, but so do England. My massive worry (as someone going on Sunday) is England bowling India out tomorrow, with Cook falling just before the close of play!
  • Whether we win 3-1, 3-2 or 4-1 we have beaten India. Yes it doesn’t mean we are the best team in the world nor does it mean there isn’t still questions. But it’s an important win and is a success.

Plenty of positives to take, Buttler and Curran the biggest two for me. I do think we missed a trick not giving a game to one or two as we do need to find at least 2 quality top 5 batsman from somewhere.
  • Bloody hell, that was the most boring days cricket I've ever attended.
    Apparently that is the first time since 1999, that England have scored less than 200 on the first day in England.
    Apparently that is the first time since 1999, that England have scored less than 200 on the first day in England.

The afternoon session did seem especially turgid
  • Whether we win 3-1, 3-2 or 4-1 we have beaten India. Yes it doesn’t mean we are the best team in the world nor does it mean there isn’t still questions. But it’s an important win and is a success.

Plenty of positives to take, Buttler and Curran the biggest two for me. I do think we missed a trick not giving a game to one or two as we do need to find at least 2 quality top 5 batsman from somewhere.

We might have beaten India but over the 5 matches can you honestly say we were the better team ?? Without Curran saving us twice & Butler once tge serues could easily have been lost 2-1 / 3-1.

The afternoon session did seem especially turgid
    There were people falling asleep, including me.

We might have beaten India but over the 5 matches can you honestly say we were the better team ?? Without Curran saving us twice & Butler once tge serues could easily have been lost 2-1 / 3-1.
    Golfie, you really are incredible. We're deservedly 3-1 up and you're saying we haven't been better.
    I'll grant you there is not much in it as they have Kohli, but we have been better.