Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Thank god for that
  • Leuth said:

Thank god for that

????
  • @Leuth

you wanted Jennings out ???
  • Meaningless runs for Jennings on an absolute road in a dead rubber, prolonging his career? Nobody wants that except his mum. And now we get to watch Moeen (for a bit) :)
  • Michael Holding saying how, even when a Test series is won, the final Test at the Oval is always well supported.

The ground is in London ffs. There must be close to 10 m people in London & the S/E suburbs. Its not like St Kitts or Barbados.

numpty.
  • Michael Holding saying how, even when a Test series is won, the final Test at the Oval is always well supported.

The ground is in London ffs. There must be close to 10 m people in London & the S/E suburbs. Its not like St Kitts or Barbados.

numpty.

Close to a flag there. Holding is the best analyser by a mile.
  • Moeen really struggling at the moment
  • Bumrah bowling beautifully. If Moeen can stay in it'll be a really good effort
  • They say that one of the best shots to know when to play in cricket (well Test cricket anyway) is "the leave". Not sure Moeen has mastered that yet.
  • Back to the "review" process. I think the time allowed for a review should be dramatically cut - down to maybe 5 secs. Whole point of RDS is to eliminate bad decisions or howlers. If a batman's knows he's hit it & given out LBW then he knows straightaway & will review. Kholi just now took an eternity to decide (I would have thought it was close to 15 secs if not over). If you are having to take that long to decide then its not an error by the umpire imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• 50 up for Cook!
  • Moeen has 22 in 79 balls! I'm not sure it's been a deliberately slow innings though...
  • They say that one of the best shots to know when to play in cricket (well Test cricket anyway) is "the leave". Not sure Moeen has mastered that yet.

26 play and misses so far

26 play and misses so far
    That's both Cook and Ali since lunch.
  • Ali has missed or edged 21 from his 89 balls faced.
  • Cook doing what he does best, grinding out a decent score.
  • That's almost certainly the best wicketless session of Test bowling in a while
  • Ali has missed or edged 21 from his 89 balls faced.

1 in 4 balls is quite a lot especially as some will be so wide or so straight that he doesn't have to make a choice as to whether to play or leave.

He's still there which is the main thing but, going forward, it is still a concern for a no. 3 batsman at Test level.
  • Has Ali opened in a test? Sure he was tried against Pakistan A or some such in Dubai
  • Sponsored links:

• What a shocker of a review that was - smacked of desperation. Means that India have no more reviews.
  • I don't mind a batsman grinding out an innings, but usually to save a match or when a team is 80/4 & you need to steady the ship. At the moment they look like they are swimming in treacle & no attacking shots at all.

bore fest.
  • McBobbin said:

Has Ali opened in a test? Sure he was tried against Pakistan A or some such in Dubai

He's batted in all positions from 1-9. Best average is at 7 where he has scored 898 runs at just under 45.
  • edited September 2018

I don't mind a batsman grinding out an innings, but usually to save a match or when a team is 80/4 & you need to steady the ship. At the moment they look like they are swimming in treacle & no attacking shots at all.

bore fest.

Disagree. This is proper Test cricket.. Bowlers making batsmen work very hard for their runs. Batsmen toughing it out. Set a platform to allow the likes of Buttler, Stokes Bairstow to play their shots tomorrow.
  • Nooooooooooooo. Shit :(
  • I don't mind a batsman grinding out an innings, but usually to save a match or when a team is 80/4 & you need to steady the ship. At the moment they look like they are swimming in treacle & no attacking shots at all.

bore fest.

Disagree. This is proper Test cricket.. Bowlers making batsmen work very hard for their runs. Batsmen toughing it out. Set a platform to allow the likes of Buttler, Stokes Bairstow to play their shots tomorrow.
    I agree England need to play "proper" Test cricket, but this has been pretty tortuous. It's not as if Moeen has been in control, playing solid defensive shots or pushing singles. He's basically been lucky to still be out there.

Cook finally bowled. India deserved more wickets today
  • India got very lucky there having wasted their last review.
  • Root LBW and burns YET another review. Worse than Shane Watson for burning reviews