Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• I see Rory Burns is playing for Surrey today, I would have liked to see him playing for England this week in place of Jennings

Now that the series is won, I suspect the team will be unchanged as a 'well done and thanks' gesture .. when really this should be the time to experiment
    as I suspected .. wrong move ?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45408539
  • If they give Jennings enough chances he'll scratch a fifty at some point, probably on the road that is The Oval, and we'll have learnt nothing
  • If we're planning to take Denly and Burns to Sri Lanka, then get them in for this Test.

Jennings has got to go.
  • I see Rory Burns is playing for Surrey today, I would have liked to see him playing for England this week in place of Jennings

Now that the series is won, I suspect the team will be unchanged as a 'well done and thanks' gesture .. when really this should be the time to experiment
    as I suspected .. wrong move ?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45408539
    Vince released but Pope to join after 2 days of the current Surrey match!

I wonder if Mooen will bat at 3. In Sri Lanka that might be his position
  • Due to Cook's retirement, I think Jennings will keep his place in the squad for the winter
  • Due to Cook's retirement, I think Jennings will keep his place in the squad for the winter

If they weren't taking Jennings to Sri Lanka he wouldn't be playing this week. He's on the plane. He has a good reputation against spin bowling which has helped him.
  • I think Woakes will come in for Rashid
  • If we're planning to take Denly and Burns to Sri Lanka, then get them in for this Test.

Jennings has got to go.

My thoughts excatly - especislly as the match is at The Oval.....Burns' home ground ffs !! But no.....lets all applaud nice Mr Cook & let Burns' first match be on a dust bowl in Sri Lanka !! Well played selectors !!
  • Looking at the County Championship scores, I see 22 wickets fell at Taunton and 18 at Canterbury, wickets like those do not help England to produce test match batsmen

Jennings has got to go.

My thoughts excatly - especislly as the match is at The Oval.....Burns' home ground ffs !! But no.....lets all applaud nice Mr Cook & let Burns' first match be on a dust bowl in Sri Lanka !! Well played selectors !!
    I'm OK with Cook playing but Jennings should have been dropped for Burns.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking at the County Championship scores, I see 22 wickets fell at Taunton and 18 at Canterbury, wickets like those do not help England to produce test match batsmen

If you can make runs there, you can make them anywhere.

Jennings has got to go.

I'm OK with Cook playing but Jennings should have been dropped for Burns.
    100%
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Looking at the County Championship scores, I see 22 wickets fell at Taunton and 18 at Canterbury, wickets like those do not help England to produce test match batsmen

If you can make runs there, you can make them anywhere.
    It's up to you, New Road, Neeeeewww Roooaaadddd

Rob key has said as much on Twitter this evening. Very critical of Canterbury.

It's also the reason our bowlers struggle abroad as it's better to be medium pace and get a but if movement on these pitches than to be genuinely quick.

Rob key has said as much on Twitter this evening. Very critical of Canterbury.

It's also the reason our bowlers struggle abroad as it's better to be medium pace and get a but if movement on these pitches than to be genuinely quick.
    Well Taunton was a complete bunsen, though it's the same issue with too many "result" pitches

But then the CC points system encourages this. A sporty pitch that helps your bowling attack gives you a better chance of getting the 16 points for a win (albeit at the expense of getting batting points)
  • Looking at some of the lancs wickets it was sod all to do with the pitch
  • Just thought of another one Test wonder!

Essex opener John Stephenson played in the final match of the 1989 Ashes debacle.
  • I 'll see you with a tony pigott
  • lolwray said:

I 'll see you with a tony pigott

I'll raise you with Alan Wells
  • lolwray said:

Allan Wells! Of course, how did I not get him!!!????
  • Sponsored links:

• lolwray said:

Allan Wells! Of course, how did I not get him!!!????
    I suppose if Usan Bolt can play football a scottish sprinter can play cricket
  • Mark Benson is another one of the vast number of England one Test wonders...
  • did the left pace bowler form gloucs only play 1 test ?

think it was Smith
  • lolwray said:

did the left pace bowler form gloucs only play 1 test ?

think it was Smith

Yep.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45332379

BBC quiz, name the 25 Test players used in the last year. I got a disappointing 21
  • regarding the 'bowler friendly' pitches .. the county championship had become so moribund and boring with so many draws that a change was needed, not to the laws/points system but to playing conditions. With bowler friendly conditions, positive results are very likely and have become much more common.
    The decline in the form and ability of batsmen is not confined to England. Pitches aimed at positive results in all forms of the game have led to a totally different mindset and technical awareness of batsman worldwide. The pendulum has partly swung from it being a 'batsman's game' to a better balance twixt bat and ball

BBC quiz, name the 25 Test players used in the last year. I got a disappointing 21

You managed to name 21 disappointing players? Good job - that's nearly all of them.

I missed Westly Ball and Overton.

All very forgettable to be fair.
  • I see in the slightly farcical tie in Taunton, Leach picked up 12 wickets, while Maharaj the saffer spnner picked up 11.

Not sure what that says about whether Leach should play for England or not, but it does show he can exploit helpful conditions which will be crucial on turning pitches this winter. Weirdly Bess only bowled 4 overs in the match for no wickets
  • I have seen some of the dismissals from Taunton online, shocking batting. Leach and Bess were extraordinary given the circumstances, almost like they had a something better to do tomorrow.