Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Riviera said:

Eleven players have played only one Test match for England since the turn of the century. Kerrigan is one but there are ten more since 2000.

Without googling, can you name the full England’s one-Test-wonder XI?

11? I reckon there were 20 each in the 90's and 80's!
    The key part of my original question was 'since the turn of the century' so discounting any 80s or 90s players but we can play that era afterwards if you like. :-)
    Yes I realise that. My point was that in the 80's and 90's OCW were prevalent in the English game something that Fletch and Nass wanted to get rid of with central contracts and would have numbered over 40 or so. However upon a little research there were not as many as I thought.
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Eleven players have played only one Test match for England since the turn of the century. Kerrigan is one but there are ten more since 2000.

Without googling, can you name the full England’s one-Test-wonder XI?

11? I reckon there were 20 each in the 90's and 80's!
    The key part of my original question was 'since the turn of the century' so discounting any 80s or 90s players but we can play that era afterwards if you like. :-)
    Yes I realise that. My point was that in the 80's and 90's OCW were prevalent in the English game something that Fletch and Nass wanted to get rid of with central contracts and would have numbered over 40 or so. However upon a little research there were not as many as I thought.
    Fair enough. Didn't read that way at first but I see it now.
  • Kabir Ali was pretty unlucky to only get one cap seeing as he almost took a five-for in the first innings (at least how I recall it)

Did Jack Leach only play one Test last winter?
  • Yep, Jack Leach is one of the eleven.

Only two players left to get. One in 2006, one in 2010.
  • Ajmal Shahzad
  • Martin Saggers?
  • Shahzad is correct.

Saggers played in three Test matches so unfortunately isn't number 11.
  • LenGlover said:

Martin Saggers?

He played for this years Kent League champions Len. Not this year though. Think he umpires now.
  • Here's a great question, which England player has played the most Tests without ever playing an ODI since they started in 1970/71?
  • I want to say Shaun Udal for the 2006 one but I think he played twice
  • Sponsored links:

• IAN BLACKWELL hahaha yesssss i remembered!!!
  • Scott Borthwick and Mason Crane - both one Test wonders at Sydney.

Joey Benjamin played in the famous Devon '9-57' Malcolm Test at The Oval in 1994 and never played again.
  • edited September 2018
    Leuth said:

IAN BLACKWELL hahaha yesssss i remembered!!!

There we go. Well done everyone. Funnily enough Blackwell made his debut on the same day as a certain A. Cook... :-)

Now, what's the theoretical batting order of those 11?

In the order that they were guessed...

S. Kerrigan, D. Pattinson, M. Crane, J. Lewis, A. Khan, S. Borthwick, B. Rankin, K. Ali, J. Leach, A. Shahzad, I. Blackwell
  • Darren Pattinson, or was he earlier?

The weird thing about the Pattinson selection, was that his FC record was very average and most Aussies hadn’t even heard of him – he literally came from nowhere.

The real shame is that we never nabbed his brother James, who is very sharp indeed, and a very good cricketer, who would have played many more tests but for serious back injury.

Both good Grimsby lads originally, so despite the fuss at the time, they were actually more qualified to play for England than most of the Saffers in the team!
  • Bob Taylor ?
  • MrOneLung said:

Bob Taylor ?

No, he played 27.
  • Leuth said:

IAN BLACKWELL hahaha yesssss i remembered!!!

There we go. Well done everyone. Funnily enough Blackwell made his debut on the same day as a certain A. Cook... :-)

Now, what's the theoretical batting order of those 11?

In the order that they were guessed...

S. Kerrigan, D. Pattinson, M. Crane, J. Lewis, A. Khan, S. Borthwick, B. Rankin, K. Ali, J. Leach, A. Shahzad, I. Blackwell
    Shocking number of spinners tried and dropped after one match.
  • edited September 2018
    Piers Morgan being a c**t about cook retiring on Twitter.

Hate that man so much.
  • Riviera said:

Here's a great question, which England player has played the most Tests without ever playing an ODI since they started in 1970/71?

It is indeed a great question. You would think it must be a slower-scoring batsman or a leg spinner maybe. Not Ian Salisbury though. Maybe an off-spinner then - Peter Such?
  • Going to guess 'wicketkeeper'. Did Jack Russell play ODIs wait that's a stupid question of course he did

...but what about Tim Ambrose
  • Sponsored links:

• AshBurton said:

Riviera said:

Here's a great question, which England player has played the most Tests without ever playing an ODI since they started in 1970/71?

It is indeed a great question. You would think it must be a slower-scoring batsman or a leg spinner maybe. Not Ian Salisbury though. Maybe an off-spinner then - Peter Such?
    He certainly didn't play any one sayers, but only about 10 tests. I thought it would be Ballance, bit they let him play some ODIs!
  • I see Rory Burns is playing for Surrey today, I would have liked to see him playing for England this week in place of Jennings
  • I don't think Mark Butcher ever played an ODI ?
  • Ben18 said:

I don't think Mark Butcher ever played an ODI ?

If so that's insane, especially considering he won a recall in 2001 based largely off an innings in the C&G
  • Riviera said:

A few guesses Chris Tavare, though he was actually quite a brisk scorer for Kent , or Bill Athey?

Devon Malcolm?
  • Ben18 said:

But played 71 Tests! Correct. Quite remarkable and shows that we were pigeonholing back then too.
  • Riviera said:

Ben18 said:

But played 71 Tests! Correct. Quite remarkable and shows that we were pigeonholing back then too.
    Amazed. Butcher was quite a fluent player too, unlike say Atherton who played 54 ODIs!
  • edited September 2018

I see Rory Burns is playing for Surrey today, I would have liked to see him playing for England this week in place of Jennings

Now that the series is won, I suspect the team will be unchanged as a 'well done and thanks' gesture .. when really this should be the time to experiment
  • edited September 2018

I see Rory Burns is playing for Surrey today, I would have liked to see him playing for England this week in place of Jennings

Now that the series is won, I suspect the team will be unchanged as a 'well done and thanks' gesture .. when really this should be the time to experiment
    Vaughan suggested on the radio bringing in Burns at 3 for Rashid, who's barely bowled all series. A bit weird to have matches starting today and overlapping the first day of the Test, as that means any called up players will have to exit half way through a match!