Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options

Declare at tea.
    No mucking about.

I'm all for positivity but I think we need to bat on after tea. Really put the foot down for 30-40 mins & get a lead of 450 + .Then have 20 overs tonight & the full 90 tomorrow.
    'sigh..... and @Riviera says I don't know anything.
  • Options

Declare at tea.
    No mucking about.

I'm all for positivity but I think we need to bat on after tea. Really put the foot down for 30-40 mins & get a lead of 450 + .Then have 20 overs tonight & the full 90 tomorrow.
    You were saying
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    India 2-3 wow!!!!
  • Options
    England should win from here IMO.
  • Options
    Golden duck for Kohli too
  • Options
    What a wonderful days test cricket, I think this has been a great test series, and full credit to India for the sportsmanship they have shown, and a great day for Cook.
  • Options
    what an amazing day that was, you don't see many like that

I love how Cook got to his final century, he can't have scored many 5s in test cricket
  • Options
    Saw the highlights on 5. Really liked the reaction of the Indian players when Cook was out. Rushing up to shake his hand. Total respect for a top top player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant stuff, such a good way to finish and well deserved.
    rina said:

I love how Cook got to his final century, he can't have scored many 5s in test cricket

Four fives in his career I think they said.
  • Options
    He got to an important century against Pakistan in 2009 (when possibly on the cusp of being dropped) with a wild overthrow iirc
  • Options

A brilliant day at The Oval, the best day I've ever spent at a Test match.

I went yesterday as well, and the numbers of times I had to stand up to let people past on the way to the bar was ridiculous. I like a drink at the match, but for some people it felt like a drinking day with a bit of cricket thrown in. Today was different, nearly everyone was glued to their seats not wanting to miss the Cook century or him getting out

We had exactly the same problem too yesterday.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

I went yesterday as well, and the numbers of times I had to stand up to let people past on the way to the bar was ridiculous. I like a drink at the match, but for some people it felt like a drinking day with a bit of cricket thrown in. Today was different, nearly everyone was glued to their seats not wanting to miss the Cook century or him getting out

No different to sitting in the East stand.... esp when its "football for a fiver". Forever getting up & down for people with burgers, drinks and trips to the loo. A half only lasts 45 mins & there is even a 15 min break inbetween.
  • Options

Brilliant stuff, such a good way to finish and well deserved.

rina said:

Four fives in his career I think they said.
    is that entire career or test match do you know?
  • Options

Canters - I am not suggesting for one minute that Surrey haven't produced a number of "home" products. However, they do have a massive advantage over any number of counties for two basic reasons - the ability to influence individuals to go to Surrey because of their undoubted connections with those managing and coaching at the highest level of the game and for want of a better word "money".

Why would they have wanted to come to Kent as opposed to Surrey? No reputation of being able to fast track players through to England (Northeast is still waiting despite moving for example) and no financial incentives to join them as a youngster. In fact, if you play age group cricket at Kent then the parents have to fund virtually everything. Kit, that's playing and training, they have to pay for the coaching and on occasions they have to provide tea not just for their own players but for the opposition too. That's the reality.

So, I repeat. If you were the parents of the Currans, Roy, Dernbach, van den Bergh (lives and born in Bickley) etc etc go to Kent when there are far more obvious benefits in joining Surrey? Unless, of course, you were born and bred and have a sense of loyalty to your home County. It's a bit like joining Charlton or Man City. And in Freddie van den Bergh's case it is probably a case that he should have stayed at Charlton.

From an article in Saturday's Telegraph about the Surrey set up:

Surrey have advantages. There is the county’s network of private schools – Whitgift and Cranleigh (Pope’s old school), are reliable player factories. And the club’s wealth ensures copious investment in under-age tours and coaching. From the age of 14, Surrey focus on giving players “as much contact time one-on-one with top quality coaches”, Stewart explains.

“What I focus on is the best talent that’s out there,” Townsend says. “We will be bringing in younger players aged 12, 13, 14 who will be training in an academy environment – which means they have support on their technical skills, their fielding, strength and conditioning, some gentle sports-science support. It’s all tailored for their age. They get a very all-round programme from a young age.”

Perhaps, if Surrey can make good on their abundant on-field promise while continuing to surge off the field, that line about Manchester United could even be wheeled out again, but updated.

“We want people who want to be successful for themselves, but put the club first,” Stewart laughs. “If that means we’re being compared to Man City, we must be doing something right.”

I could have written that myself - well I sort of did above!
  • Options

No different to sitting in the East stand.... esp when its "football for a fiver". Forever getting up & down for people with burgers, drinks and trips to the loo. A half only lasts 45 mins & there is even a 15 min break inbetween.
    Saturday was a pain in the arse too. Can’t people at least wait until the end of an over before leaving their seats?
  • Options
    Shame I can't like and lol this at the same time. Superb response from Aggers
  • Options
    great day yesterday at the Oval. few surrey hooray henry's but fortunately it wasn't too bad. So glad Cook got to his hundred though a little gutted that he couldn't get the 3 runs to make it to 150. some of the bowling especially from Jadaja looked so easy for Root and Cook to score from. Poor again from India.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    121-5.
  • Options
    121-5 with wickets to Moeen and Stokes

Bit of a weird looking scorecard with Rahul and Rahane making 111 and the other five batsmen making just a single between them.
  • Options

Looks like you sat where I did Friday.
  • Options
    Fabulous counter attacking shots from Rahul. But it is rather what we want given the opportunities it presents to get him out.
  • Options
    Back at the Oval. Rashid FINALLY on in the last over before lunch after the Stokes bang the ball in experiment comes to an end.
  • Options
    Wonder if we'll see India have a crack at trying to win this?

New ball soon though, so hopefully we can break through.
  • Options
    I came along to see an easy England win and Jimmy get the record, but the supurb Indian batting has actually made things quite interesting and a real test for Root and our attack
  • Options
    I mean that was quite special from Pant, but Englands tactics have been bizarre.

Surely the new ball means we still win this game, but even so, been a dreadful day for us.
  • Options
    if India did win this, theres a kind of justice to things ...the series has been a lot closer than 4-1 or 3-1 ,over the 5 matches England the better team but not by much in my view
  • Options
    It's not often the 5th day is the easiest one to bat.