Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options
    That ball is why Rashid is in the team.
  • Options
    Is Rashid bowling no balls here? From to wide of the crease?
  • Options
    Crazy ball that, went miles.
  • Options

One swallow doesn't make a summer, and a freak ball on a 5th day pitch out of the rough is not how you judge a spinner
  • Options
    Un fuckin believable.
    Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Anderson.
  • Options
    Great way to finish!
  • Options
    What a fitting end to the series - Jimmy Anderson taking the last wicket to break the record number of wickets for a fast bowler!
  • Options
    Watching an emotiolnal Anderson and Cook has really got me. 12yrs of great friendship
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rudders22 said:

Watching an emotiolnal Anderson and Cook has really got me. 12yrs of great friendship

Very much so for everyone that loves cricket and the part that individuals play in team sports. It is those ties that bind them together and for that reason I bet Cook and Anderson are gutted that KP couldn't be with them on the pitch to share it with them.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer, and a freak ball on a 5th day pitch out of the rough is not how you judge a spinner
    How 'bout two - to dismiss both danger men? A wonder ball followed by the googly. Surely, as a spinner, you must have loved them!
  • Options
    I thought Kohli spoke well at the presentation. He's gone up in my estimation.
  • Options
    Another great day of cricket

It's always a tricky decision whether to go to the 5th day, especially with India 3 down and without Kohli, but Rahul and Pant batted really well and made this a genuine contest today. For it to finish with Jimmy knocking over the middle stump to win the match and break the record made it sweeter
  • Options

England should win from here IMO.

Good prediction, that.
  • Options
    It always pains me to give my hard earned money to Surrey, though as a consolation a hand dryer packed up when I was using it so hopefully mending it cancels out the profit from my beer consumption :smile:

Was in block 13 of the OCS today, so almost behind the bowler and a great view of the middle stump flying out!
  • Options
  • Options

What a fitting end to the series - Jimmy Anderson taking the last wicket to break the record number of wickets for a fast bowler!

Fast?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Fast?
    While not being lightning fast he bowles regularly over 80mph.
    Quick enough to have taken over 550 wickets.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Fast?
    While not being lightning fast he bowles regularly over 80mph.
    Quick enough to have taken over 550 wickets.
    The king of swing, best orthodox swing bowler of our time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talk on cricinfo of resting Broad (maybe Anderson) in Sri Lanka, and the name coming up for Jamie Overton and Olly Stone, who have some real pace about them and are bowling well. Not a bad suggestion by any means. I'd love Porter to go, as he's more like-for-like as a swing bowler... though Sri Lanka probably isn't going to be the most forgiving, and Woakes and Stokes swing it as well.

Is Toby Roland-Jones on his way to fitness?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Talk on cricinfo of resting Broad (maybe Anderson) in Sri Lanka, and the name coming up for Jamie Overton and Olly Stone, who have some real pace about them and are bowling well. Not a bad suggestion by any means. I'd love Porter to go, as he's more like-for-like as a swing bowler... though Sri Lanka probably isn't going to be the most forgiving, and Woakes and Stokes swing it as well.

Is Toby Roland-Jones on his way to fitness?

I agree with Broad and Anderson, they reckon the ball is spinning from the first over in Sri Lanka, so let them put there feet up until the West Indies tour, I think Porter should go and if Olly Stone can stay fit, he looks a very promising fast bowler same with Jamie Overton.
    I would not think Toby Roland Jones will be fit, it's a shame he looked very good last summer
  • Options
    I can understand the consideration of not taking Broad/Anderson to Sri Lanka as conditions won't be helpful, but not so sure how much they need resting, considering that with the World Cup next year in the first part of the summer the Ashes aren't until next August, which is nearly 11 months away!

It's not as if either look tired after the India series (the rib injury for Broad is obviously an issue), there's a gap of a month and a half before the red ball element of the Sri Lanka tour which is plenty of time for them to rest up, another gap of a month and a half before the Windies, and the final Test is in the middle of February, allowing a decent break before the summer.

It's players playing all 3 formats who are at greatest risk of burnout, someone like Stokes for example (with his knee issue), and the likes of Moeen, Rashid, Root, Bairstow and Buttler who also play in all 3 sides, and will be key members of our World Cup team.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

At this stage of both their careers neither Broad nor Anderson will want to miss any Test matches and I’m sure both have made this clear to the management.

Yup - agreed.

England have only ever won one series in Sri Lanka and only one series in West Indies in over 50 years.

Great challenge for them to meet.
  • Options
    And that series, as I remember it, was won by our champion pace duo of the time (Gough/Caddick)
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2018/09/12/england-xis-first-test-v-sri-lanka-writers-make-picks/

No real consensus amongst the Telegraph's writers as to who should be in the team!
  • Options
    The guy picking Jennings has irritated me, but the guy picking Hameed has utterly baffled me
  • Options
    Leuth said:

And that series, as I remember it, was won by our champion pace duo of the time (Gough/Caddick)

Nope - our only series win there was in 2004 when Harmison took that 7/12 and we won 4-0.

Gough never played a Test in the Windies and Caddick toured in 1994 and 1998 - losing both times!