Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

Not too fussed about Josh Megennnis maybe going. Lovely guy, works so hard. Just misses so many chances. Anyone notice he almost missed the penalty in the Cambridge friendly?

Not until we have proper replacement. Already short on numbers
    Agree with this. Not particularly fussed on Magennis going but we're already desperately short of numbers, so i don't see how selling a striker to a rival is a good idea.

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

Not too fussed about Josh Megennnis maybe going. Lovely guy, works so hard. Just misses so many chances. Anyone notice he almost missed the penalty in the Cambridge friendly?

Agree with this. Not particularly fussed on Magennis going but we're already desperately short of numbers, so i don't see how selling a striker to a rival is a good idea.
    If it gives you £300/400k to sign Tom Eaves, it would be good business.
  • Peterborough are properly going for it
  • Valley11 said:

Peterborough are properly going for it

You say that but they will be selling their best players, already sold one and with that many incomings they will either smash it or finish bottom table imo. Hopefully the latter as I can't stand Evans the whopper
  • CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

This is a shout, if Magennis does go then Eaves would be the person I would like to replace him, not out of our reach either surely
  • Eaves is out injured for quite a while
  • CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

This is a shout, if Magennis does go then Eaves would be the person I would like to replace him, not out of our reach either surely
    Surely people realise by now that player sales out doesn’t have any relation to bringing people in under Roland.

Magennis goes out and at best you will get an untested loan in
  • Sponsored links:

• CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

Surely people realise by now that player sales out doesn’t have any relation to bringing people in under Roland.

Magennis goes out and at best you will get an untested loan in
    I play a lot of football manager excuse me.

I know we are unlikely to stump up cash for a new player, I'm more hoping this all happens with new ownership
  • edited July 2018

I always thought Rohan Ince was class, very suprised he hasn't got a gig in championship

Yeah I always felt that way as well, but it seems a combination of injuries and just wrong place wrong time held him back. He's the type of trialist I'd like to see with us, young and hopefully hungry with something to prove.

I thought Ward looked tidy if unspectacular yesterday. Better than I expected with the ball at his feet, but he and Pearce together represent a real lack of pace. We do need another right footed center back but I feel, no make that hope, that we can do a little better.

On Magennis, completely agree with @ForeverAddickted, no need to sell him to a division rival. He can play with any of our other forwards and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Igor together as Igor looks best with a big man next to him.

I still have us short:
    GK
    RB
    LB
    RCB
    Winger x2
    Central midfielder

Cannot see us bringibg all those in. If Ince works out he could be that central midfielder. I didnt see anything from Dawkins yesterday. Sarr and Dijksteel and/or Marshall as cover at fullback, even though both have done jobs there, doesn't fill me with confidence.
  • CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

If we sell Magennis there is no chance that money will be reinvested, it's going to cover operating losses.

I'm with you @ross1, I'd be sad to see him go. I quite like him and on his day he's an absolute handful.
  • SDAddick said:

I always thought Rohan Ince was class, very suprised he hasn't got a gig in championship

Yeah I always felt that way as well, but it seems a combination of injuries and just wrong place wrong time held him back. He's the type of trialist I'd like to see with us, young and hopefully hungry with something to prove.

I thought Ward looked tidy if unspectacular yesterday. Better than I expected with the ball at his feet, but he and Pearce together represent a real lack of pace. We do need another right footed center back but I feel, no make that hope, that we can do a little better.

On Magennis, completely agree with @ForeverAddickted, no need to sell him to a division rival. He can play with any of our other forwards and I'm looking forward to seeing him and Igor together as Igor looks best with a big man next to him.

I still have us short:
    RB
    LB
    RCB
    Winger x2
    Central midfielder

Cannot see us bringibg all those in. If Ince works out he could be that central midfielder. I didnt see anything from Dawkins yesterday. Sarr and Dijksteel and/or Marshall as cover at fullback, even though both have done jobs there, doesn't fill me with confidence.
    We don't need both another RB and CM IMO as Dijksteel is one of those players. Definitely need a CB and winger though which Bowyer realises, otherwise we wouldn't have had Ward and Dawkins on trial.
  • A signing in the mould of Pratley is Jason Shackell. Would really like him, think 2 of him Bauer and Pearce would be very very good for this league.
  • Ferryman said:

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

I admit Eaves played well at The Valley, but would you sign him on the back of one game?
    Absolutely, his last season was his only good season on paper but he could be a late bloomer. Last season he was strong, good finishing (from the highlights I've seen) and its just another physical presence for us which we need. We have trouble against Gillingham and he is their best player, taking him from them just does us a favour next season while also bagging ourselves one of last season's top scorers. Think it was 17 all comps for him, if Lyle and Eaves were to get the same return this season then we would be up there. All speculation of course as we won't sign him.
  • never say never ----he might be injured or really unfit then its a sure thing he is on the way back
  • Sponsored links:

• Assummedly we have a sell on clause for Holmes . If that’s the case we should buy him as the sell on clause taken off the buy price would make him a bargain. Come to think of it we should sell all our players and immediately buy them back. The savings we’d make would be immense.

Highly doubt we would have a sell on clause on a 31? Year old. They are normally only on youngsters who have potential to get a lot better and go for lots of money.
  • edited July 2018
    Ferryman said:

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

CafcSCP said:

Moo said:

I admit Eaves played well at The Valley, but would you sign him on the back of one game?
    He banged in 18 goals last season so hardly only hard one decent game. He's a good age at 26 and lives locally in Kent.

We should always be looking to upgrade the team if we can. Magennis will never give us the goals we need from our strikers to get promotion.

Who do you think we can realistically get as a 'big man who can hold up the ball + score goals' replacement for Magennis that would do better job?

Eaves is a perfect & realistic target in my opinion.
  • This squad is shaping up to be worse than last season's. Ultimately, mid table will be a fantastic result and the end of the season.

Not sure. Smaller yes, but Lyle Taylor is a step up from Magennis, if the Dulwich match was anything to go by. Pratley gives us (apparently) the steel in midfield that we’ve lacked for so long. Ince may also add something by all accounts.
    We’re definitely very short of cover though. If Solly get injured before the start of the season we’re in trouble. Hopefully they have to be targeting a new RB, although I suspect it’ll be a loan at best.
  • My view is Magennis is a much better player than what online Charlton fans generally portray, and why clubs in our league and league above have tried to sign him in the last two windows

Maybe he’ll get a chance playing alongside Taylor?
    I remember the hat trick he scored when his son was a mascot; that was impressive. But overall, he strikes me as likeable, but pretty mediocre. Good defensively though.
  • edited July 2018
    Eaves could be great.

Or he could go back to being the player from the season before that scored 4 goals in 40 games at League Two level!

I'd be more interested in signing the Gills scout that picked him up. A record of 1 goal in every 10 games would never make it past Roland's laptop scouts.
  • My view is Magennis is a much better player than what online Charlton fans generally portray, and why clubs in our league and league above have tried to sign him in the last two windows

AFKA, we have been touting Magennis about all summer by advertising his availability to try to sell him. If there really was serious demand for him he would be gone by now but the truth is we can't find a real buyer.

Bolton will only look at him if all else fails (i.e. their other targets like Wyke) and Peterboro probably offered something derisory like.....'we'll have him as a back up player if your owner is desperate for cash before he buggers off and and will take £100k'.

I really don't think a host of championship and league one clubs are queuing up with serious interest.
  • edited July 2018
    shirty5 said:

se9addick said:

Any news on new goalkeepers coming in?

Bob Bolder is available if required for the Sunderland away game
    European Cup winner. You know what they say about class being permanent.
  • Macronate said:

danwhicks said:

Still no sign of James Collins (released by West Ham) then?

Due to a reduced budget we're now going after Joan Collins instead.
    If we get this one over the line, it might herald a new Dynasty of quality signings
    You can (South)fork right off if that's the quality of the puns you're bringing to the table.