Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Murray

Comments

• Options
    We cannot rely on Murray for help, he won't provide it.
  • Options
    I do not believe Murray wishes any bad outcome for Charlton.
    he went too far with his spat with Jordon by appointing Dowie.
    he was not openly supportive of the club during the RD time, but I do not believe would harm the club.
    I don't think he'd openly set out to harm the club........but he would probably do whatever he could to stop Varney taking over.
    That's why his judgement is so clouded i.e. by personal likes/dislikes (which led to the Dowie fiasco when he was trying to humiliate Simon Jordan). A businessman shouldn't have that mindset. If Varney is the best option for Charlton Athletic would Murray rather see the club go to the wall than have Varney involved just to score points in a personal vendetta?

Crazy, but then everything about the club is, and until we get what could be described as a beneficial owner of both the club and the ground, the madness will continue.

• Options
    Richard Murray part1 successful.
    Curbs becoming manager
    Richard Murray part 2 shocking.
    Post Curbs.
    Richard Murray part 3. Interfering and keeps backing the wrong horse.

It's a Good, bad and ugly from the "who wants to be a millionaire man".
  • Options
    Why is there a rift between Murrey and Varney ? 
  • Options
    I believe it started when Murray sacked Dowie, Varney disagreed.

• Options

Not true. Lots off angles to it, but the real venom took off when Varney left in 2012 and Murray took up against him on behalf of Slater, while badmouthing him to fans privately.
  • Options
    What was the possibly controversial sale back in 2005 ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    What was the possibly controversial sale back in 2005 ?
    Not sure it was controversial but it was to the owners of the o2
  • Options

Not true. Lots off angles to it, but the real venom took off when Varney left in 2012 and Murray took up against him on behalf of Slater, while badmouthing him to fans privately.
    Probably wont happen,but hatchets need to be buried,and everyone getting round a table,including RD and RM,and PV,if people are not going to start talking to each other like grown ups,then I do not see how this mess can be sorted.
  • Options

I make Varney right on that. I could tell Dowie hadn't lost the dressing room and whilst he wasn't a great manager there was fight in his team that disapeared the moment he left, we had more chance staying up keeping him, at least for a few more months. The reason I think Murray ultimately sacked Dowie was that he was not respecting the structure he had decided on and Dowie had signed up to. 
    The players liked Dowie and played for him. He was just getting into his stride.

They rightly saw Reed as a backstabber and he didn't have any respect from the get-go. Holland and others virtually admitted this when asked. 

The irony then was Murray ditched that structure shortly afterwards. Most costly and needless relegation in our recent times.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    All I know is that our anti Palace bias has clouded us to looking at this clearly. We were losing close games and not getting much luck under Dowie, but the moment he left, all fight seemed to be sucked out of the team. I'm not a member of the Dowie fan club, but this was clear to me and a few of us really need to remove the bias and see the situation for what it was at the time. Judging by what was seen on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    boggzy said:

I make Varney right on that. I could tell Dowie hadn't lost the dressing room and whilst he wasn't a great manager there was fight in his team that disapeared the moment he left, we had more chance staying up keeping him, at least for a few more months. The reason I think Murray ultimately sacked Dowie was that he was not respecting the structure he had decided on and Dowie had signed up to. 
    The players liked Dowie and played for him. He was just getting into his stride.

They rightly saw Reed as a backstabber and he didn't have any respect from the get-go. Holland and others virtually admitted this when asked. 

The irony then was Murray ditched that structure shortly afterwards. Most costly and needless relegation in our recent times.
    I wouldn't say it was a needless relegation we were up against it from day one, the squad needed an overhaul while teams like Aston Villa and Portsmouth who we'd been regularly finishing above started living beyond there means.

You also had teams coming up like Reading and Sheff Utd who were stronger than the teams who went down, we were always going to be in a relegation fight.

I agree Murray was still the root cause behind the relegation it badly needed Curbs for his last season just to keep us up and I think he would have. The league then seemed a bit weaker for the next few years which would have been ideal timing for a proper replacement for Curbs than just appointing Dowie to spite Jordan and Palace.

I remember a very early alarm bell going off in my mind when Murray described our fixture list as "exciting" when you consider we played Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal all in the first 7 games along with Spurs and Liverpool being the last 2 games. Difficult to get off to a badly needed good start to the season which was more important than ever and then going into those last 2 games needing 2 wins. Fixture list couldn't have been more difficult if you tried yet Murray described it as exciting?!
  • Options
    That is what you get in the Premier League. A run of games where it is hard to get anything. We did have a tough start, but we were giving these teams a game. Then when Dowie was sacked, we were getting well beaten by teams where we should have been looking to pick up the points. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    We did lose to Portsmouth 0-1 at home in that period (although I thought we played ok). 

And we beat Man City 1-0 despite getting a bit of a battering. 

Losing Darren Bent for a significant chunk of the season was a killer....and seemingly the start of a run of losing key players to injury that persists to this day.  
  • Options
    Dowies Charlton that year we’re similar to bowyers in 2020. Lost by the odd goal and didn’t get any luck. 

Van persie should have been sent off and then scored that very good goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dowies Charlton that year we’re similar to bowyers in 2020. Lost by the odd goal and didn’t get any luck. 

Van persie should have been sent off and then scored that very good goal.
    Didn’t it come off his shin too ;-)
  • Options
    Back in the day when the B20 were active in St Truiden, after a game,  myself and one other member were in the long fans night club in the main stand. We got lucky and managed a conversation with RD.

Peter Varney's name came up in conversation, RD instantly became angry, saying RM had warned him that PV had 'taken funds out of the club'.
     With no further explanation.
    Remember RD making a demonstrative grabbing motion with his fist.

Have always wondered if this was the cause of the rift.
  • Options
    14 years ago, almost to the day, was this catastrophic day ......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/5257776.stm

Feels like a lifetime ago now. So much shit has happened in that time.
  • Options
    I remember reading that Richard Murray was very ill for some reason a few years ago unless I’m completely mistaken, could that potentially be why he’s been very silent for however many years?
  • Options

Probably wont happen,but hatchets need to be buried,and everyone getting round a table,including RD and RM,and PV,if people are not going to start talking to each other like grown ups,then I do not see how this mess can be sorted.
    Is there any way of approaching Murray? Would it even be worth it?

If a group of fans can get into Farnell's office, then surely they can get to Murray's front door?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    14 years ago, almost to the day, was this catastrophic day ......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/5257776.stm

Feels like a lifetime ago now. So much shit has happened in that time.
    Absolute dog shit the pair of them. 
  • Options
    Back in the day when the B20 were active in St Truiden, after a game,  myself and one other member were in the long fans night club in the main stand. We got lucky and managed a conversation with RD.

Peter Varney's name came up in conversation, RD instantly became angry, saying RM had warned him that PV had 'taken funds out of the club'.
     With no further explanation.
    Remember RD making a demonstrative grabbing motion with his fist.

Have always wondered if this was the cause of the rift.
    I don't believe for a moment that PV took money out / stole money from Charlton. I thought it was more of a disagreement over the methods of the Spivs in the end? @Airman Brown