Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Richard Murray

Comments

• Options

From wiki:

Charlton Athletic

After a potential move to Celtic of the Scottish Premier League broke down, Hasselbaink joined his fourth Premier League team, Charlton Athletic, on a free transfer in July 2006. Soon after joining the club, he was charged by the FA with improper conduct and/or bringing the game into disrepute for his claiming Chelsea paid players a bonus after the 2004 Champions League win over Arsenal; a Premier League inquiry into what would have been illegal bonus payments found no evidence to support the claims, which were denied by Chelsea. He scored his first goal for the "Addicks" against his old team Chelsea in a 2–1 defeat at Stamford Bridge on 9 September. After seven games without a goal, Hasselbaink scored against yet another of his former clubs, Middlesbrough on 13 January, a game which Middlesbrough went on to win 3–1. He was released by Charlton at the end of the 2006–07 season having scored only four goals in 29 games, with half of his goal tally coming against League One side Chesterfield in the League Cup.

How much were we paying him again?!

Utterly obnoxious and bone idle. Not to mention apologising to Chelsea fans when he scored for us!

• Options
    He was a good player who we got when he was on the slide. I think most of us were positive about the signing when it happened.
  • Options
    We had some good decent signings - Diawara and Reid spring to mind.
    Diawara was not a good signing. He might have been a decent player further on in his career elsewhere but he was rubbish for us, was completely unsuited for the Premier League and cost us £3.7m that we couldn't afford to spend on a player that couldn't hit the ground running. Dowie's signings and the amount they cost us not only sent us down but ensured that having gone down we then didn't have the financial stability to come back up
  • Options
    It appears to me that Murray does not know whever he is on his a**e or his elbow on who to back and is keeping quite and waiting for the dust to settle, see who will eventually take over the club and then creep up to them (hoping it is not Varney) and try and get his free seat back in the directors box
  • Options
    Diawara was not a good signing. He might have been a decent player further on in his career elsewhere but he was rubbish for us, was completely unsuited for the Premier League and cost us £3.7m that we couldn't afford to spend on a player that couldn't hit the ground running. Dowie's signings and the amount they cost us not only sent us down but ensured that having gone down we then didn't have the financial stability to come back up
    I thought he was a good player who would have bedded in if the conditions allowed. We all have different views but you can see why he was signed surely.
  • Options
    I think Murrays comment after we signed Diawara was "he is the most expensive signing I have never heard of". I still never understood why Murray sanctioned the purchase without finding out more about him rather than leave it all upto Dowie
  • Options
    I thought he was a good player who would have bedded in if the conditions allowed. We all have different views but you can see why he was signed surely.
    I can see why he was signed, but the reasons were wrong and he was a bad signing. We really needed a good centre half to come in that season. Fortune was on the wane, Hermann was always a much better LB than CH and Talal was erratic to say the least. Dowie had made the ludicrous choice to release Chris Perry, so we needed to bring in a really good defender who could help us kick on. Dowie should have been looking at players with experience in English football but instead he went for a player who needed to adapt to a new league in a new country for a club with a new manager. It was always going to end up how it did. If we'd been able to bring in Diawara for cheaper than that and ease him in then maybe the next season he might have been useful. As it was we needed him to be good from the start and he was the wrong signing, which meant we suffered on and off the pitch for that £3.7m.
    Agreed, it was akin to us releasing Michael Morrison, then losing TBH, Bikey and Roger Johnson (all experienced in English football) and then replacing them with Bauer and Sarr, both with no experience of playing in England. 

On paper Bauer and Sarr were better players, but both would take time to adapt, time we didn't have
  • Options
    The only thing I can remember about Diawara is that he wore gloves at a match in the middle of summer
  • Options
    Diawara was a good player. It usually a good approach to sign good players, but they don't always work out for a number of reasons. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Diawara was a good player. It usually a good approach to sign good players, but they don't always work out for a number of reasons. 
    A good player in France where he played his entire career, apart from his one season with us
  • Options
    Dowie's signings were terrible but so were his tactics. 10 men at West Ham and he took off Ambrose and left Hasselbaink to play midfield. His reliance on Bryan Hughes. Villa away. Wigan away. Shocking Bolton home, very lucky to win, same v Man City. Dreadful mess of a club that season.
  • Options
    Didn't we sign Cory Gibbs that summer as well? 
  • Options
    Might be getting my eras mixed up but didn't we have someone else in charge of player signings as part of the Dowie set up?
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    Might be getting my eras mixed up but didn't we have someone else in charge of player signings as part of the Dowie set up?
    Probably bob dowie
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    Yes, there was an agent. Cant remember his name.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

I know exactly who you mean but can't for the life of me remember his name.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    johnny73 said:

I know exactly who you mean but can't for the life of me remember his name.
    Andrew Mills!
    That's it. Thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/nov/14/newsstory.charltonathletic

Looking at the list of possible replacements for Dowie in this Grauniad article about the sacking, the 4th suggestion rings a bell...whatever happened to him?

Addicks' contenders
    Glenn Hoddle Out of football after leaving Wolves this summer
    Aidy Boothroyd Impressed in taking Watford into the Premiership
    Billy Davies Has taken Derby to fifth in the Championship this season
    Dave Jones Steered Cardiff to top of the Championship in second season
    Paul Simpson Terrific record, last year at Carlisle and now with Preston
    what happened to any of them?
    Murray told me he really wanted Aidy Boothroyd.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Simpson was England u-20 manager recently. 

If Murray wanted boothroyd, why didn’t he get him?
  • Options
    Regardless of what good he has done in the past, and all the problems since, I want Murray nowhere near Charlton when this mess is sorted, if sorted.

Personally I found him rude on my one encounter with him years ago. But I do appreciate he did good, and now bad for CAFC.

His decision making nowadays seems based on 'getting one over' on people, from Dowie to Varney. Easier said than done but the moment he is paid off and gone, the better.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Off_it said:
    14 years ago, almost to the day, was this catastrophic day ......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/5257776.stm

Feels like a lifetime ago now. So much shit has happened in that time.
    There are moments in your life you receive such awful news you will always remember where you were when you received that news.  Diana's death, Twin Towers, personal family tragedies and the like.  Well, this double signing I saw on teletext whilst on holiday in a cottage in France.  Remember it clear as day and I cannot remember any other transfer so vividly.  A proper WTF moment.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    Jeff Vetere (? spelling) was 'overseas scout' for a while. I think it was around that time or towards the end of Curbs' reign.
  • Options
    Didn't we once announce a signing at a horse racing track or something crazy like that? Would have been in the Dowie summer i'm sure but can't quite remember the details?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Why is there a rift between Murrey and Varney ? 
    Back in the day when the B20 were active in St Truiden, after a game,  myself and one other member were in the long fans night club in the main stand. We got lucky and managed a conversation with RD.

Peter Varney's name came up in conversation, RD instantly became angry, saying RM had warned him that PV had 'taken funds out of the club'.
     With no further explanation.
    Remember RD making a demonstrative grabbing motion with his fist.

Have always wondered if this was the cause of the rift.
    Whether Murray deliberately misled Duchatelet on this or the latter misunderstood, Varney appointed a lawyer and they wrote to RD and RM requesting that they call in the police to investigate these claims, but both ignored all correspondence and both declined to repeat the allegations in writing.

There are multiple examples of Murray spreading misinformation privately and - famously, at Bromley - publicly, when he was called out by Wendy Perfect for lying about Steve Kavanagh‘s departure from the club. Murray’s behaviour stinks, but the rift goes back at least, coincidentally, to Varney intervening to prevent the 2010 Sainsbury takeover, which Murray was entertaining in his desperation. It featured Lee Amis and, allegedly, Matt Southall, as well as a convicted fraudster. 
    Airman, you ever thought about writing a book? (Another book, I mean.)
    I have, but I like a happy ending.
    Any kind of ending (other than never ending) would be a result in Charlton terms.
  • Options
    Didn't we once announce a signing at a horse racing track or something crazy like that? Would have been in the Dowie summer i'm sure but can't quite remember the details?
    I believe that was Diawara
  • Options
    http://www.votvonline.com/home/the-2019-20-blogs/17-8-sandgaard-rocks-up-playing-all-the-right-tunes/

A third interested party, understood to involve former chairman Richard Murray, is believed to have based its funding on a scheme to move the club to the Greenwich peninsula in line with skeleton proposals used by Southall to tout for investment in January.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    http://www.votvonline.com/home/the-2019-20-blogs/17-8-sandgaard-rocks-up-playing-all-the-right-tunes/

A third interested party, understood to involve former chairman Richard Murray, is believed to have based its funding on a scheme to move the club to the Greenwich peninsula in line with skeleton proposals used by Southall to tout for investment in January.
    Covered this in the EFL Clearance thread.