Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Very uninspiring from Uruguay. Expected more.
  • saw a bit in the pub, saw the dive from the Egyptian player....where was VAR and the subsequent booking for diving then?
  • Pahaha... talk about getting in the way!!!
  • Surely Uruguay should be done for a foul from Suarez in the build up?
  • harsh on Egypt. Uruguay have been rubbish. Good for my accumulator though.
  • Commentators saying they’ve been awful, but they’ve had way more chances than Egypt
  • Gutted for Egypt
  • Suarez is an actual mug
  • I have no sympathy at all for Egypt, criminal not to bring on Salah for 10 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• oh well onto the next one that's what I love about the WC - bring on Iran and Morocco lets hope for a goal fest!
  • Boooo Reza doesnt start for Iran!!!
  • Cannot see Uruguay playing that badly in the other two matches. They never looked like conceding to Egypt and were missing chances for fun.

There were plenty of positives to see why they are lot of peoples dark horses to win the World Cup.
  • I have no sympathy at all for Egypt, criminal not to bring on Salah for 10 minutes.

He must still be injured.
  • From what I saw I would say Uruguay deserved the win. Harsh on Egypt but both teams struggled to break each others defence down.

Good header for the goal an all.
  • edited June 2018
    Salah clearly isn't fit but he will undoubtedly start their next game against Russia in 4 days time. Given that everyone will probably beat Saudi in that group, then Russia v Egypt will decide who goes through with Uruguay.
  • And a draw will be enough for Russia as GD is the first tie breaker
    Egypt have to win, so Salah even more likely to start
  • edited June 2018
    Laddick01 said:

Suarez is an actual mug

I’d go further and say he is a dirty, cheating, racist, coward mug. And I also hope Ramos has both his legs surgically removed via a two footed tackle from Ricardo Quaresma.
  • edited June 2018

Cannot see Uruguay playing that badly in the other two matches. They never looked like conceding to Egypt and were missing chances for fun.

There were plenty of positives to see why they are lot of peoples dark horses to win the World Cup.

Yeah they're mine, I have them going to the semis I believe.

They were poor in the first half but better in the second, and just grounded Egypt into submission. Something I think gets overlooked with them is that their defense is very good. Godin, Jiminez, and Caceras are all very good players, Peirrera and Varela both decent at right back.

I thought Bentancur was surprisingly poor. He's a very good footballer but he looked completely off the pace and struggled to make any sort of impact. Torreira looked better in the five minutes he was on than Bentancur did all day. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start on Tuesday.

Having seen all the teams in Group A, I'd be a bit worried if I were Egypt. They really lack creativity in that team without Salah, and given he didn't even come on today I can't see him starting on Monday. Russia were by no means brilliant, but their biggest weakness is in defense and without Salah, and possibly even with him, I think Egypt might struggle to really test them.
  • I really hate Ramos. If Salah had started, Egypt probably would have scored in the first half. It would've then been a completely different result.
  • Sponsored links:

• But they have to play Salah now - they cant afford to lose another game, and even if they draw with Russia they have to score an absolute hatful against Saudi Arabia. I dont think they can play safe with Salah now unless he really is crocked. Russia Egypt could be a fascinating game.
  • edited June 2018

oh well onto the next one that's what I love about the WC - bring on Iran and Morocco lets hope for a goal fest!

Hmm, Lawro has gone for 0-0 and I agree

Especially with Reza only on the bench!
  • I think Salah is in a lot worse state than Egypt are admitting to be honest - a shoulder injury is a lot easier to mask than an injury in the leg area. If he isn't ready for 8 minutes at the end when they still had a realistic shout of taking three points then I can't see him being able to start in four days time.
  • Lovely little shot of Reza there.

By not watching this game in the US, you lot are missing out on Alexi Lallas explaining to people watching a football match...why they'd want to watch a football match.
  • I think Salah is in a lot worse state than Egypt are admitting to be honest - a shoulder injury is a lot easier to mask than an injury in the leg area. If he isn't ready for 8 minutes at the end when they still had a realistic shout of taking three points then I can't see him being able to start in four days time.

I can see him starting.

I doubt he's ready to play though, and I fear he'll either be a shadow of the player we saw last season or he will go off injured again
  • It's always nice to see Havre Renard
  • edited June 2018

I think Salah is in a lot worse state than Egypt are admitting to be honest - a shoulder injury is a lot easier to mask than an injury in the leg area. If he isn't ready for 8 minutes at the end when they still had a realistic shout of taking three points then I can't see him being able to start in four days time.

I can see him starting.

I doubt he's ready to play though, and I fear he'll either be a shadow of the player we saw last season or he will go off injured again
    You are probably right and it's such a bloody shame. Fucking Ramos.

On a better note this Iran game has had more action and positivity in the first 6 minutes than the whole of the last game think we might see a few goals here!

good to see a bit of needle in it as well!
  • Morocco have come flying out of the blocks.
  • Morocco are unlucky in the group they’ve been drawn, think they’d have a chance of qualifying from most others
  • 15 minutes in and Morocco have had 83% possesion