Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Bentancur already looking class in the midfield. Quality player
  • Since 1982 every World Cup final has featured a player from both Bayern Munich and Inter Milan

If you’d have said Burton Albion I’d have been surprised.

• edited June 2018

Since 1982 every World Cup final has featured a player from both Bayern Munich and Inter Milan

If you’d have said Burton Albion I’d have been surprised.

The best any English team can manage is Arsenal go back to 2006.

They may be big teams but still an impressive run imo
  • Will this be this tournament’s N Korea v Italy? Egypt looking comfortable at the moment.
  • Cagey so far with little moments of quality. The difference in class between yesterday and today is noticeable.
  • Think Uraguay are going to seriously miss any sort of pace this World Cup. Cavani and Suarez are very similar players
  • what a miss Suarez...
  • Hahaha
    Commentary waiting for a replay to see why the ref ruled the goal out, offside maybe?

Completely ignoring the fact Suarez shot went wide.
  • Laddick01 said:

Think Uraguay are going to seriously miss any sort of pace this World Cup. Cavani and Suarez are very similar players

They have some pace on the bench though, Laxalt (sp?) has pace, as does Nandez. Not a ton I agree, but they have some very good technical players.

As for Cavani and Suarez, Suarez plays on the shoulder and looks to get in behind, whereas Cavani drops off and goes looking for the ball. As you can see they can be quite direct, but Tabarez is one of the best coaches at this tournament and I trust he will get the best out of this team.

Fun game so far. There's some quality on show but it's also more open than I expected.
  • A lot more open than expected but think that is due to the 5-0 yesterday and the goal difference pressure that has put on the group.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    This is Martin Cáceres' club career. He's still only 31 (sorry, originally wrote 27 don't know why). And he's not terrible, but he's not that good either, and yet he's played for Juve (twice), Barca, Sevilla, Villareal, and now Lazio
  • SDAddick said:

Laddick01 said:

Think Uraguay are going to seriously miss any sort of pace this World Cup. Cavani and Suarez are very similar players

They have some pace on the bench though, Laxalt (sp?) has pace, as does Nandez. Not a ton I agree, but they have some very good technical players.

As for Cavani and Suarez, Suarez plays on the shoulder and looks to get in behind, whereas Cavani drops off and goes looking for the ball. As you can see they can be quite direct, but Tabarez is one of the best coaches at this tournament and I trust he will get the best out of this team.

Fun game so far. There's some quality on show but it's also more open than I expected.
    Forgot about Laxalt, he’s supoosedly rapid, the problem there is his quality is seemingly unproven

The Suarez of the last 5 years, excluding this one with Barca, has been one of my favourite footballers to watch, but here he seems to be carrying a little extra weight and his confidence looks a bit shot.

I still think they’ll do well but they’ll need to rely heavily on Godin and Giminez playing to their best if they want to make anything past the quarters
  • Is that right linesman have been told not to flag tight offsides & leave it to VAR?

What's the bloody point in having linesman then??
  • Egypt look surprisingly good.
  • Just been watching this on the BBC app on the PSVR! It's insanely good!
  • Is that right linesman have been told not to flag tight offsides & leave it to VAR?

I heard that. Madness. Playing with fire by asking them not to flag close decisions. No accountability

I can see the sense it in. Once the flag goes up, the game is stopped and no chance to go back if the decision is wrong. What if you were flagged wrongly offside in the build up to a goal?

If you don't flag and there's a goal scored, VAR gives you the opportunity to pull it back after the fact.

Better that a goal is scored and taken away rather than the goal never being given and it's not possible to award it after.
  • Egypt haven't threatened at all Uruguay look comfortable but lacking the final ball. Both teams lacking some urgency but much better quality on display than yesterday.
  • Just got to the pub so no comment on the match as yet. But I did see this morning that there was a bit of an uproar at the opening ceremony. Robbie Williams flipped the world the middle finger. No wonder Putin likes him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Better start to the second half.
  • Struggling to get into it, probably will after the first England match. Listening to Keown doesn't help.
  • Shocking first half of football, both teams absolutely woeful
  • Odds on Uraguay getting grouped?
  • Just like watching Charlton....
  • This is a terrible game. Still loving every second of it though!

You can keep your champions league & premier league, there's nothing like a world cup!

Checkatrade man meself
  • WTF was Suarez doing!!
  • have the refs been instructed to keep their cards in their pockets in this tourney? I've seen at least half a dozen yellow card offences let go in the first 2 games.
  • WTF was Suarez doing!!

he's having a stinker and trying to blame everyone else for it