Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• How do awful teams like Saudi Arabia qualify!!!

& to think that the tournament will be extended to 48 teams in 2026. Pointless
  • edited June 2018

How do awful teams like Saudi Arabia qualify!!!

& to think that the tournament will be extended to 48 teams in 2026. Pointless

Asia currently receive 4 or 5 places in the World Cup.

From 2026 they will receive 8 places.

If this was the case for 2018, then the qualified Asian teams would be:
    Iran, South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Australia... plus
    SYRIA, UAE, UZBEKISTAN

Can't wait for England to be drawn into a pointless group of three with Panama and Uzbekistan. And then go straight into a knockout round of 32.
  • Feel like it’s only gonna get worse for Saudi Arabia. Uruguay will have a field day against that.
  • I know the logistics would be very difficult, but its a shame that qualification groups aren't global too and the 32 or 48 places orwhatever go to the teams that actually deserve it on ability. Most European and S.American teams, and probably many African teams, would qualify from the Asia group.
  • Saudis no better than a Conference side without the fight. If they play a lot better in the next game I'll be very suspicious. Atmosphere was awful - suspect most of the tickets were sold to rich people who don't go to matches very often. If another commentator says "its best for the tournament" I'll scream.
  • England, Uzbekistan plus one of these teams...

Then one of those other teams above in a round of 32 match... then a normal round of 16 onwards. Silly silly silly.
  • Saudis no better than a Conference side without the fight. If they play a lot better in the next game I'll be very suspicious. Atmosphere was awful - suspect most of the tickets were sold to rich people who don't go to matches very often. If another commentator says "its best for the tournament" I'll scream.

I will say that the difference between the team that pushed the Germans in the second half (albeit in a friendly) was like night and day compared to that performance. Not quite sure about any conspiracy though I think they were just over-awed by the occasion and the big world-wide audience.
  • It'd only be 12 extra games and the viewing figures would probably be less

I will say that the difference between the team that pushed the Germans in the second half (albeit in a friendly) was like night and day compared to that performance. Not quite sure about any conspiracy though I think they were just over-awed by the occasion and the big world-wide audience.
    Not like the Russians scored a bunch of suspiciously easy tap ins, although the keeper definitely could've done better for the free kick.
  • Sponsored links:

• Saudi Arabia the worst team I have seen at a "modern" World Cup.

Not sure how they got a 2-1 against a full strength German team.
    Because it was a friendly and no one gives a fuck in friendlies.
  • DRAddick said:

That goal was over a minute later than the 90 plus 3. When did they change the rule that says only a penalty can be taken after time is up?

Still, on its own, of no consequences. Saudi made Russia look good there. I don't think they are much good though.

The extra time is a guidance. The ref can add further time if there is reason to do so. I’d argue play stopping because of a penalty is a good reason otherwise there’d be no consequence in giving away a last minute penalty.
    Yes, I know there is a specific allowance for penalties. But on reflection the ref was right anyway, as he had to restart the game, and basically it was restarted by the Russian player sticking it away.

What was the name of the famous Welsh ref who caused outrage when he blew for time with a header from a corner on its way into the net?

• Anyone know anywhere you can see full match replays?
  • DRAddick said:

That goal was over a minute later than the 90 plus 3. When did they change the rule that says only a penalty can be taken after time is up?

Still, on its own, of no consequences. Saudi made Russia look good there. I don't think they are much good though.

The extra time is a guidance. The ref can add further time if there is reason to do so. I’d argue play stopping because of a penalty is a good reason otherwise there’d be no consequence in giving away a last minute penalty.
    Yes, I know there is a specific allowance for penalties. But on reflection the ref was right anyway, as he had to restart the game, and basically it was restarted by the Russian player sticking it away.

What was the name of the famous Welsh ref who caused outrage when he blew for time with a header from a corner on its way into the net?

Clive Thomas
  • BBC 1 at 12.30 am tonight are showing the whole game. you could probably download from ITV hub I should think
  • BBC 1 at 12.30 am tonight are showing the whole game. you could probably download from ITV hub I should think

Cheers. I checked itv and they seems to just have the opening ceremony on there. I'll heck again incase I got it wrong
  • Next time they play they will only 5.5 hands between them after that performance, oh and four heads
  • The provisional England side for Monday has leaked. Why reporters report this is absolutely beyond me. But when it comes to England there is, of course, no decency.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/14/henderson-maguire-young-england-world-cup-tunisia-dier

....................Pickford
    ........Walker Stones Maguire
    Trippier......Henderson .........Young
    ..............Dele.........Lingard
    ...............Kane......Sterling

Nine of those pretty much pick themselves. In a game where England need to move the ball quickly to break a team down, you'd always expect Henderson to start in the holding role. Dele and Lingard combine well, and while both RLC and Delph impressed against CRC, this isn't the right game for them.

The big surprise for me is Ashley Young. I'm not anti-Ashley Young, he's had a series of solid seasons for United now, a lot of them at fullback or wingback. And he has experience that is needed in this team. But to me, Rose is England's best fullback at the tournament (with Walker at CB). The fact that he didn't play much for his club shouldn't matter too much after three weeks with the England squad.

The other one I wouldn't have picked is Maguire. I didn't get to watch the Nigeria game, but it sounds like Cahill was very good, and he has experience and organizational skills which that backline isn't overly blessed with. And he's tidy on the ball and on his day, a good defender who, when he's played over the last two years, has done so largely on the left hand side of a back three.

I'm never fully convinced by Maguire. He's very tidy on the ball, but I still find he gets caught out of position at times, one of those things where the difference between the Premier League where it's more open and less tactical and the international game can get to players. He has spent a lot of his career in a back three, and he's certainly good, I just don't know if a game where England will play a high line to break down a team is best suited to him.

As an aside, I was really, really impressed by Delph in the Costa Rica friendly. Because he's spent so much of his career injured, it's easy to forget just how highly he was rated when he was coming through at Leeds and then Villa. His technical ability is very good, and he is a fantastic athlete. And even though he spent the year at left back, it seems to me that playing in a Guardiola team has really helped him come of age. I think he will very much have a part to play as one of the shuttling midfielders who can pressure the ball, break up play, but also retain possession. But that's not really what's needed for this game.
  • Yeah my understanding was the opening day has always been all about the host nation - opening ceremony and then the first fixture, no other game on the day to take attention away from the hosts- thought that is how it's always been?

Between 1974 and 2002, the reigning champion played the opener. Only from 2006, they changed it to the host nation.
  • Since 1982 every World Cup final has featured a player from both Bayern Munich and Inter Milan
  • Sponsored links:

• Germany appearing in 5 of those finals helped Munich. 3 of those finals featured Italy to aid Inter Milan
  • Saudi's won their group which included Australia! Russia not won in 7 previous internationals! I thought this could be a shock. Instead Saudis were beyond crap. Simple reason for me was that Russia pressed them in midfield and they just couldn't cope!
  • Cristiano Ronaldo has played 340 minutes against Spain and never scored.
  • SDAddick said:

The provisional England side for Monday has leaked. Why reporters report this is absolutely beyond me. But when it comes to England there is, of course, no decency.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/14/henderson-maguire-young-england-world-cup-tunisia-dier

Nine of those pretty much pick themselves. In a game where England need to move the ball quickly to break a team down, you'd always expect Henderson to start in the holding role. Dele and Lingard combine well, and while both RLC and Delph impressed against CRC, this isn't the right game for them.

The big surprise for me is Ashley Young. I'm not anti-Ashley Young, he's had a series of solid seasons for United now, a lot of them at fullback or wingback. And he has experience that is needed in this team. But to me, Rose is England's best fullback at the tournament (with Walker at CB). The fact that he didn't play much for his club shouldn't matter too much after three weeks with the England squad.

The other one I wouldn't have picked is Maguire. I didn't get to watch the Nigeria game, but it sounds like Cahill was very good, and he has experience and organizational skills which that backline isn't overly blessed with. And he's tidy on the ball and on his day, a good defender who, when he's played over the last two years, has done so largely on the left hand side of a back three.

I'm never fully convinced by Maguire. He's very tidy on the ball, but I still find he gets caught out of position at times, one of those things where the difference between the Premier League where it's more open and less tactical and the international game can get to players. He has spent a lot of his career in a back three, and he's certainly good, I just don't know if a game where England will play a high line to break down a team is best suited to him.

As an aside, I was really, really impressed by Delph in the Costa Rica friendly. Because he's spent so much of his career injured, it's easy to forget just how highly he was rated when he was coming through at Leeds and then Villa. His technical ability is very good, and he is a fantastic athlete. And even though he spent the year at left back, it seems to me that playing in a Guardiola team has really helped him come of age. I think he will very much have a part to play as one of the shuttling midfielders who can pressure the ball, break up play, but also retain possession. But that's not really what's needed for this game.

I think Maguire is a better version of Stones without any of the hype. Lingard I am not so sure should start, I think he is a good sub though! Like the team shown though - good call.
  • SDAddick said:

The provisional England side for Monday has leaked. Why reporters report this is absolutely beyond me. But when it comes to England there is, of course, no decency.

I think Maguire is a better version of Stones without any of the hype. Lingard I am not so sure should start, I think he is a good sub though! Like the team shown though - good call.
    I've got no issues with Lingard (or Rashford if fit) starting the first 2 games where we have to take the game to them, but i think against Belgium you'd have to take him out and play an extra defensive midfielder.
  • edited June 2018
  • Since 1982 every World Cup final has featured a player from both Bayern Munich and Inter Milan

This year Inter Milan have players in the Uruguay, Croatia & Brazil squads
    Munich have players from Spain, France, Germany, Colombia & Poland
  • edited June 2018
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned in commentary yet - it looks really bizarre - also didn't realise it was like that on two sides rather than just the one that we have seen the picture of.

edit; quite a few empty seats dotted about - yet the dodgy stands look packed! crazy!
  • Plenty of empty orange seats... wouldn't get this at a UK based World Cup... :-)