Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• atmosphere is piss poor without those Ultras there
  • SDAddick said:

How many times have you giggled at the name Zhirkov? I'm at two so far.

Im giggling at the sound of Farage playing for Saudi Arabia
    It's weird, I thought he liked to play with the Russians.
  • This is becoming seriously League One
  • knew we should of brought Crouch
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Sounds like you lot have had a Stalin reference. Over here, the match commentator referred to Spain as having "Whacked" their manager, which begs the question, has anyone seen Lopetegui alive since he was fired?

VPN tunnel packed in at KO, watching Fox on a stream. That made me laugh too... Who is commentating with Meola, SD?

Someone called JP Dellacamera. He's just a run of the mill play-by-play guy. He's done soccer for forever and to be fair to him he's not awful, he's fine, there are much worse.
    Yes he is okay. Some of the terminology makes me smile, but it's not grating.
  • Saudi Arabia the worst team I have seen at a "modern" World Cup.
  • Saudi Arabia the worst team I have seen at a "modern" World Cup.

Not sure how they got a 2-1 against a full strength German team.
  • Go Saudi Arabia.

not something you ever expected to say at the World Cup, right?

Or ever.
  • teams as poor as Saudi Arabia have made it into the WC when its only 32 teams.... cant wait to see the quality of some teams when its upped to 48 ....
  • Sponsored links:

• teams as poor as Saudi Arabia have made it into the WC when its only 32 teams.... cant wait to see the quality of some teams when its upped to 48 ....

Scotland?
  • edited June 2018
    SDAddick said:

How many times have you giggled at the name Zhirkov? I'm at two so far.

Got nothing on Pullimov. And as for Doimova from the Russian women’s team...
  • Who expected 4-0
  • As I see this, Russia are no more than OK, the Saudis are dreadful.
  • What the hell.

What an opening match
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Sounds like you lot have had a Stalin reference. Over here, the match commentator referred to Spain as having "Whacked" their manager, which begs the question, has anyone seen Lopetegui alive since he was fired?

VPN tunnel packed in at KO, watching Fox on a stream. That made me laugh too... Who is commentating with Meola, SD?

Someone called JP Dellacamera. He's just a run of the mill play-by-play guy. He's done soccer for forever and to be fair to him he's not awful, he's fine, there are much worse.
    Yes he is okay. Some of the terminology makes me smile, but it's not grating.
    Yeah I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me all that much. But if you're going to be watching the tournament on Fox, know that it, unfortunately, gets much worse.

It's a shame because ESPN has had it in recent years and they have a lot of good pundits both doing commentary and in the studio. And Fox Sports does Bundesliga well but it doesn't seem they've tapped any of those people for the World Cup.

I posted this earlier in the week, definitely worth a read.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/11/fox-sports-world-cup-coverage
  • Laddick01 said:

Golovin is the most talented player on this pitch, will be in a top league soon.

:wink:
  • Game 1- 5 goals

Bring on tomorrow
  • What the hell.

What an opening match

Eh that makes it sound like it was good quality.

And it was for the first 40 mins. After that point, Saudis offered nothing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Still don't think Russia will go through but that will really boost their confidence ahead of the game vs Egypt. Which is likely to be the decider now
  • That goal was over a minute later than the 90 plus 3. When did they change the rule that says only a penalty can be taken after time is up?

Still, on its own, of no consequences. Saudi made Russia look good there. I don't think they are much good though.
  • As I see this, Russia are no more than OK, the Saudis are dreadful.

Yeah Russia have looked decent in transition and on the counter. Their defense is not good, and KSA did nothing to really challenge them. But I could see Russia causing some problems for Egypt perhaps.
  • That goal was over a minute later than the 90 plus 3. When did they change the rule that says only a penalty can be taken after time is up?

Still, on its own, of no consequences. Saudi made Russia look good there. I don't think they are much good though.

Foul was committed twenty seconds before the end of the 3 minutes. Would've been a bit harsh to blow with a free kick lined up in shooting position!

I suspect the whistle was going to be blown whether the ball went in, it was saved or it hit the ball and bounced away.

Picky that mate
  • I would be pretty pissed off if the ref blew his whistle as they were lining up the free kick. unless of course its against us.

The extra time is a guidance. The ref can add further time if there is reason to do so. I’d argue play stopping because of a penalty is a good reason otherwise there’d be no consequence in giving away a last minute penalty.
  • SA clearly a terrible,m terrible team, but Russia still played some nice stuff there. A couple of really good goals from their no.6. A good result for the tournament and gives Russia a chance to get out of the group.