Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2019
    We had a player this season for the U18 team I manage, where he joined the mighty Royston and was told he could no longer play for us! I can understand there may be games that are close together and clash, but it was a blanket ban from playing for us in any game even though he wanted to. Now their season has ended, he can play for us in our cup final next week!  
  • Options
    My son was a the Spurs academy a few years back and they were just trawling. Only an incredibly small amount of boys make it and a bigger percentage make it at Charlton I would imagine. Even if that percentage is still pretty scary.
    Less than 1% make it.
  • Options
    Yes, there is a book I read a few years back. I think it was titled, 'Every boy's dream'. It basically highlighted how unlikely making it as a professional is. What bothers me is some parents and kids think they have made it because they are in a club's academy and don't prioritise their education. You even see players who do make it only to fall away again, sometimes through injury and sometimes just by not developing at the required pace.
  • Options
    "We have shown we can beat anybody this season. We just need to make sure we're ready. There's no one I'm afraid of. I believe in the squad that I have.” 

Just not Sunderland, Coventry, Fleetwood, Peterborough, Blackpool and Oxford
  • Options
    "We have shown we can beat anybody this season. We just need to make sure we're ready. There's no one I'm afraid of. I believe in the squad that I have.” 

He did not use the past tense.
  • Options
    'what I'm asking for is fair'
    Bollocks is it, you demand the right to eat crisps at your desk!
  • Options

“I have no preference about who we play or whether we play the home leg first in the play-offs,” he told the South London Press. “There isn’t any team I want to avoid because I believe in the team we have. But there are teams above us who will not want to play us because we are a good side. We’ve proved that. “Who we play is out of our ­hands.

There’s no point worrying about it. We know it will be two tough games, whoever it is. “I don’t think it makes any difference if we play home or away first either.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/bowyers-not-bothered-there-are-teams-who-dont-want-to-play-us/

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Williams should be in contention for this weekend.

Bowyer said: “Jonny has come through the week well.

“He trained yesterday. Not with us, but with the fitness people. He came through that well.

“So as long as he trains today and tomorrow with the group then he’ll be in the squad.

“Jonny is looking good.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-get-positive-injury-news-ahead-of-doncaster-rovers-match/

Asked if any team could be termed the underdog, Bowyer said: “No. I don’t think there is.

“Everybody has got to play home and away, it’s not like we just have to play them away. Then that would make them favourites because of home advantage.

“Both teams will have their fans behind them and it is who handles the moment. And decisions….decisions play a big part in the game.

“I don’t think there is an underdog. You could say we are coming into the play-offs with a bit of form. But Grant has done an amazing job. They weren’t tipped for the top six and we weren’t – so you could say we weren’t favourites to get there. No-one tipped us to be top six.”

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/can-doncaster-rovers-class-themselves-as-underdogs-in-league-one-play-off-semi-final-lee-bowyer-gives-his-verdict/

• Options
    Hmm no mention of Igor

Sounds like they're keeping that one quiet like they did with Forster-Caskey against Sunderland
  • Options
    Lee Bowyer has arrived for his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s play-off semi-final first-leg trip to @drfc_official. Quotes to follow... #cafc
    LB: “Jonny Williams passed a fitness test yesterday, so we’re hoping he’ll be involved. Igor is still struggling, but we’re unsure when he will be ready at the moment.” #cafc
  • Options
    so basically out for the season
  • Options
    Potentially... Reckon we can forget about him on Sunday; Thursday will be a push and then the Final is a slim chance

Really do feel for Igor I really do
  • Options
    “We’ve got a full squad apart from Igor, so there is competition for places. We haven’t had that on many occasions and when we have, it shows. We’re ruthless in front of goal at the moment.” #cafc
    We’ve won our last two home games 4-0. We’re looking good at the back and taking chances and, as I’ve been saying for a while, we’re in a good place and we’re in good form. But play-offs are over two legs and the best team over those two games go through.” #cafc
    “For me, Lyle is the best striker in the league, not just for his goals, but for his all-round performances." #cafc
    He’ll admit he wasn’t an all-round striker, but he is now. He tracks back and that is priceless. We know he can finish and his hold-up play is very good. His movement is good and he’s hard to mark. He’s been involved in more goals than anybodLast week, Josh Parker’s all-round game was good. His work-rate was exceptional and his unselfish runs is what people don’t see. He hit the post twice and I was really pleased for him. He’s got a chance and he has to grab it.” #cafcy else in this league.” #cafc
    Nothing has changed for us this week. We’re preparing for a game of football. It’s the same outcome – we’re preparing to win the game. Our professionalism is the most important thing. We have to keep on top of that.”
    The mood in the camp is very good. Everybody wants to play, so the competition out on the training pitch and the level is very high. They are in a good place.” #cafc
    “I’m expecting them to try and win. They are playing at home first, so they’ll want the advantage going into the second leg and we’ll be doing the same. They’ve got a good squad and a good manager and nothing changes. It’s a game of football at the end of the day.” #cafc
    “I’m not going to get caught up in things that are said between players and managers. They have their opinions on the game and we’ll have ours." #cafc
    B: "All I’ll say is that we respect them and we’ll turn up on Sunday with the upmost respect because they’ve done a great job to get there, as have we. It’s two teams that weren’t tipped for this.”

• Options
    LB: “We’re a completely different side to last season. We are a much better side. I’m excited because I know that we’re capable.” #cafc
    LB: “So much can happen with refereeing decisions, injuries and things like that, any previous experience can go out the window. We have to be prepared for that.” #cafc
    LB: “When I left as a youngster, this was a massive family club. We had that bond with the fans but when I came back, that wasn’t there. That was a shame because I know from experience what a big part fans play in football matches.” #cafc
    LB: “I wanted to include them in what we’re doing and go on this journey together. We all have to stick together and they have played a massive part." #cafc
    : "The atmospheres home and away have been exceptional. They are a credit to this football club. Collectively, we become a bigger and tougher opposition.” #cafc
    That's it for this morning's press conference.
  • Options
    A lot more stuff here in the Trust interview for anyone who hasn't seen/ read it yet: 

https://www.castrust.org/2019/05/seriously-positive-bowyer-is-born-to-win/
  • Options
    Is Igor the most injury prone player we've ever had? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Cory Gibbs | Gary Rowett | Gary Poole all ahead of him for me
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Cory Gibbs | Gary Rowett | Gary Poole all ahead of him for me
    Those others were generally one career ending injury though rather than a series of problems which Igor has had
  • Options
    Think his comments are more refrained and respectable to the oppo this year .
    last year , if I’m not mistaken , I think he spouted off a bit too much about us being the best team etc and it wound Shrewsbury up who gave us a lesson
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Yes he did. Have shown is the past perfect. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Dont let uncle Rowland know you said that ;-)
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Sorry to correct you, but it’s present perfect and that is functionally different from the past simple/past tense I.e. it is used here to describe something that started in the past, but continues into the present, whereas past simple “we showed” would be used to describe something that started and finished in the past 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Sorry to correct you, but it’s present perfect and that is functionally different from the past simple/past tense I.e. it is used here to describe something that started in the past, but continues into the present, whereas past simple “we showed” would be used to describe something that started and finished in the past 
    As an EFL teacher I salute you, sir.  
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Never knew the Football League had teachers
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Redrobo said:

Never knew the Football League had teachers
    Only if the Bells runs out