Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    LOL He's a touch offended. 

Even if they're not being injured in training, it is arguable that the high intensity of Bowyer's training coupled with the already high intensity of games could be lending itself to the injuries occurring. Or it could be that we're using cheap players and forcing them to overperform. 

It won't be that alone though, the players need to ensure they are recovering properly with proper nutrition, stretching and rest plans. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    LOL He's a touch offended. 

Even if they're not being injured in training, it is arguable that the high intensity of Bowyer's training coupled with the already high intensity of games could be lending itself to the injuries occurring. Or it could be that we're using cheap players and forcing them to overperform. 

It won't be that alone though, the players need to ensure they are recovering properly with proper nutrition, stretching and rest plans. 

This has been going on for a few seasons now, not just the last one.

We’re either incredibly unlucky or something seems not quite right (was going to say fishy but didn’t want to encourage a plethora of fish puns).
  • Options
    Cod only knows why we get so many injuries.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    What have Fleetwood got to do with it
  • Options
    So it's bullshit that six players have been injured in a training match.

Good to hear that because you would've to question that if it was true. 

• Options
    edited October 2020

Where did that emanate from?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Fish pun?

BAN HIM! :smile:

• Options
    Saw it in "speech marks" while surfing.
    It wasn't funny if it was a wind up so assumed with our history it might be true ?

Any team that can get two dislocated shoulders in a game must be cursed.
  • Options

The term "training match" could be a bit misleading though.

These are not gentle kickabouts. Players are expected to play these with 100% effort and intensity, to replicate a League game.
    That's how some players have got injured.

I would imagine that Bowyer sees it as no more of a injury risk than playing an actual League fixture.

• Options
    Saw it in "speech marks" while surfing.
    It wasn't funny if it was a wind up so assumed with our history it might be true ?

Any team that can get two dislocated shoulders in a game must be cursed.
    We are cursed, an old curse from the manor of Bermondsey which means we never beat the Spanners 
  • Options
    Maybe Roland failing to invest in medical staff, recovery equipment, and generally underfunding the club has consequences? It's going to take time and investment to get all our facilities back up to the required levels, and hire the staff the Roland deemed surplus to requirements.
  • Options
    Maybe Roland failing to invest in medical staff, recovery equipment, and generally underfunding the club has consequences? It's going to take time and investment to get all our facilities back up to the required levels, and hire the staff the Roland deemed surplus to requirements.
    But we're not competing against Chelsea or Arsenal, we're up against Lincoln and Rochdale and a division below Wycombe, I doubt they have massive medical teams 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Sage said:
    Can we finally put the absolute drivel to bed about the players injuries and training methods when 99% of us would never have even seen a Bowyer training session, it’s a bit embarrassing. As I’ve said before with the medical team, you wouldn’t criticise a performance of someone else in a different profession if you don’t have the first idea on how to do their job. So how can you criticise training when you don’t watch it? Not surprised Bowyer has got a bit defensive with it.
    Is anyone criticising? I don't think so. It is widely reported that Bowyer's training sessions are harder than what many players we have signed in his tenure are used to. IF injuries are occurring as a result of players overtraining then how could you defend it?
    No one is blaming the medical team, people simply want to know why we seem to accrue more off the pitch injuries than other sides? 

An answer could be because we don't look at other clubs injury reasons or analyse their teams as much as our own. 

Personally I believe that overtraining could be part of why we seem to have so many ongoing niggle type injuries, that combined with asking so much of players whose fitness likely isn't at the same level Bowyer wants it to be from the off.

For me that is why it becomes more important that the players manage their recovery in their own time to the best of their abilities. 

Take Conor Gallagher for example, he was praised for how much energy and effort he could put in from the off, but he was a PL loanee... I don't expect the same fitness and resilience from a PL Loanee as I do from a League 1 or 2 player, I expect more from that PL player. I do believe that they can be brought up to the same level, but that takes time and SMART & FITT approach. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:
    Can we finally put the absolute drivel to bed about the players injuries and training methods when 99% of us would never have even seen a Bowyer training session, it’s a bit embarrassing. As I’ve said before with the medical team, you wouldn’t criticise a performance of someone else in a different profession if you don’t have the first idea on how to do their job. So how can you criticise training when you don’t watch it? Not surprised Bowyer has got a bit defensive with it.
    Is anyone criticising? I don't think so. It is widely reported that Bowyer's training sessions are harder than what many players we have signed in his tenure are used to. IF injuries are occurring as a result of players overtraining then how could you defend it?
    No one is blaming the medical team, people simply want to know why we seem to accrue more off the pitch injuries than other sides? 

An answer could be because we don't look at other clubs injury reasons or analyse their teams as much as our own. 

Personally I believe that overtraining could be part of why we seem to have so many ongoing niggle type injuries, that combined with asking so much of players whose fitness likely isn't at the same level Bowyer wants it to be from the off.

For me that is why it becomes more important that the players manage their recovery in their own time to the best of their abilities. 

Take Conor Gallagher for example, he was praised for how much energy and effort he could put in from the off, but he was a PL loanee... I don't expect the same fitness and resilience from a PL Loanee as I do from a League 1 or 2 player, I expect more from that PL player. I do believe that they can be brought up to the same level, but that takes time and SMART & FITT approach. 
    I think there are many factors with major ones being luck and the fact in recent years we may have signed a few with more fitness question marks through necessity. I have to say, I don't perceive us to be so much fitter than the teams we play so doubt there are factors like over doing training.

I can see why Bowyer pushes back on this. It is not a good reputation to have if you want to attract players to the club. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

It's a fine line between players being competitive in training but not doing Maguire type tackles from last night.

Despite not taking any training sessions anymore, many a time there was the odd incident that led to some pushing and shoving.
    It happens in grass routes up to Liverpool training sessions.

Would be great to watch a Cafc training session but after Spygate (Leeds) I understand why not.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    In fairness, if we're over training we won't look fitter than others. A player that hasn't recovered properly from training may end up being less useful than a player trained at a lower intensity who has recovered.

I remember talking Pardew back when he had that open day training session at the Valley. 

He said a typical week started toughest on Monday and eased by Thursday with Friday off to recover/do their own fitness thing allowing players to be fresh for game day. Whether that was just his gob flapping and him trying to sound like he cared, well who knows?

• Options
    Over the last few years some players have only been available to us because of their injury records. Hopefully that'll soon be a distant memory and if anything else needs addressing re. fitness etc. then it falls within the remit of the new Technical Director.
  • Options
    Paddy7 said:
    Over the last few years some players have only been available to us because of their injury records. Hopefully that'll soon be a distant memory and if anything else needs addressing re. fitness etc. then it falls within the remit of the new Technical Director.
    Who's the new Technical Director?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:

I’ve seen many people criticising and saying what the hell do they do in training etc. That’s the point, there have been criticism and it was about how can you criticise something you’ve never seen or been apart of?

But you’ve also pointed out another point I recently made, we know the extent of our injuries and the amount we get, but that’s because we are interested. We don’t look at other clubs situations in such detail or how often they get a specific type of injury or when they get an injury. Getting an injury in training is different to a game or a ‘training game’. Training games have to reach a certain type of intensity otherwise it’s pointless, they have to try to replicate what they’d do in a match, and that’s not possible with normal training.

We also don’t know how much loading they do so would be cautious to say they overtrain. We know the usual schedule would be they train 4 days a week, play on a Saturday. Frequency is fine, and with the lack of actual training injuries, you’d assume the loading to be fine too. 
  • Options
     Watch the Manager’s full pre-game press conference, available on Valley Pass or with a match pass for Saturday's game. Click here to purchase a pass.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f92d0d27cc18/bowyer-on-challenge-of-northampton-maddison-returning-to-training-and-keeping-clean-sheets
  • Options
    Really hate the way all this is hidden behind a "paywall". 

So, some two bob hack from the Pompey Gazette can hear what our manager has to say but I have to pay for the privilege. 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Really hate the way all this is hidden behind a "paywall". 

So, some two bob hack from the Pompey Gazette can hear what our manager has to say but I have to pay for the privilege. 

LOL

I have watched the interview, I pay £6.50 a month, get to watch interview extended highlights and more. There's nothing really enlightening in there. People shouldn't expect to get anything for absolutely nothing in my opinion. Pay for VP as a minimum, support the club

(I say this truly hypocritically as I use a paid IPTV provider who also has the iFollow stuff available and I'm not stupid so watch games through that now rather than paying £10 to sit in my living room).