Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England V Panama- 1PM Kick off

Comments

• Options

The hysteria over England is plain embarrassing - have to reserve any judgement until we've played Belgium.

What ‘hysteria’?

People enjoying us scoring goals and winning?!! Fucking hell, slow down.

England fans are some of the most cautious in the world, as we know what’s usually coming. Drogba even said it yesterday that he’s surprised why we are not more excited.
    Some of the media coverage is embarrassing given the opposition we've played.
  • Options

The hysteria over England is plain embarrassing - have to reserve any judgement until we've played Belgium.

What ‘hysteria’?

England fans are some of the most cautious in the world, as we know what’s usually coming. Drogba even said it yesterday that he’s surprised why we are not more excited.
    That's the media for you though. They're two faced arseholes.

I just think England fans are happy to see their team play with a bit of invention and passion. There has been more of that in 2 games that at the last few tournaments combined
  • Options

What ‘hysteria’?

That's the media for you though. They're two faced arseholes.

I just think England fans are happy to see their team play with a bit of invention and passion. There has been more of that in 2 games that at the last few tournaments combined
    I think Southgate is building a team spirit and we seen a million miles away from the 'golden generation' bollocks we had to endure.

The youth of the squad may help...
  • Options

Dont think there's been any hysteria... More shock as you can lose count of the times we've struggled to beat this sort of side, instead yesterday we absolutely demolished them
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Jordan Henderson ran 10.06km against Panama, 1km more than any other player on the pitch, in 32-degree heat.

He completed 91% of his 72 passes attempted, won all four of his aerial duels and wasn't dispossessed once.

He's done very well so far. No complaints from me at all. Looking like he's taken his game up a level.
    Agreed. Not his biggest fan but he's had a great season and is starting to move the ball forwards now - which was my biggest criticism of him. Good to see him getting a few shots away too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember in the 80s we beat Turkey 8-0, 5-0, 8-0 and of course the San Marino 1-7 but cant remember a higher scoring England game than that. Any one remember any others?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I remember in the 80s we beat Turkey 8-0, 5-0, 8-0 and of course the San Marino 1-7 but cant remember a higher scoring England game than that. Any one remember any others?

9-0 against Luxembourg in 1982
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

9-0 against Luxembourg in 1982
    Oh yea, they mentioned it yesterday. We knocked 13 past Northern Ireland in 1882 as well apparently :)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

San Marino away 8-0 in 2013, Andorra 6-0 in 2009.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The 8th by Hoddle was a decent finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBGQgAA7bE
  • Options
    Blimey, was Gary Mabbutt playing centre-mid?! Knew he played there in his early days for Spurs but assumed his England appearances were at CB!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Blimey, was Gary Mabbutt playing centre-mid?! Knew he played there in his early days for Spurs but assumed his England appearances were at CB!

If we beat them 9-0 i'd imagine even our keeper was playing the holding midfield role
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Jordan Henderson ran 10.06km against Panama, 1km more than any other player on the pitch, in 32-degree heat.

He completed 91% of his 72 passes attempted, won all four of his aerial duels and wasn't dispossessed once.

He's done very well so far. No complaints from me at all. Looking like he's taken his game up a level.
    Agreed - never thought I'd be saying we should rest Henderson in the next game to save him for the more important ones, but we should.
  • Options
    My son was there in Nizny Novgorod - luck so and so - some sort of reward for the last 13 years loyally following Charlton I presume! Not sure what my reward will be?
  • Options
    sm said:

My son was there in Nizny Novgorod - luck so and so - some sort of reward for the last 13 years loyally following Charlton I presume! Not sure what my reward will be?

You were alive when we lifted the People's Cup, what more do you want?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    EastStand said:

sm said:

You were alive when we lifted the People's Cup, what more do you want?!
    Not to mention retaining the Crown Paints trophy against welling.
  • Options

I thought henderson was excellent. I never thought I’d find myself saying that! Like a previous poster, I liked the way he was so pissed off when his volley dropped just wide!
  • Options
    Our set pieces have been fantastic. We look dangerous at every dead ball situation, apart from maybe direct free kicks where Trippier is over them. We have pace in the side throughout. I'd like another ball carrier in the midfield. I'd like Sterling disposed of and Rashford brought in because he's far better in front of goal. I'd like Rose to replace Young as it would give us more balance.

However, we must genuinely be happier seeing those type of performances than what we have been served up over the last twenty two years!
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Our set pieces have been fantastic. We look dangerous at every dead ball situation, apart from maybe direct free kicks where Trippier is over them. We have pace in the side throughout. I'd like another ball carrier in the midfield. I'd like Sterling disposed of and Rashford brought in because he's far better in front of goal. I'd like Rose to replace Young as it would give us more balance.

However, we must genuinely be happier seeing those type of performances than what we have been served up over the last twenty two years!

Hard to say if that's down to us or the oppositions dreadful defending though. I don't see Belgium and (maybe) Colombia giving the likes of Kane and Stones a spare 5 yards to themselves like Tunisia and Panama did.
  • Options

Solidgone said:

I fell of a ladder yesterday and watching from a hospital bed. A new viewing position for me

That's not good mate.
    Get well soon
    Thanks #blackpool72 discharged from hospital today.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I think it’s great that’s England fans are getting excited. We have always had the players capable of winning major tournaments but they have never come close to fulfilling against potential.

We now have a team that do seem capable of actually delivering against potential.

Why is it so hard for people to recognise that there lies the obvious reason why England fans are feeling optimistic?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I think it’s great that’s England fans are getting excited. We have always had the players capable of winning major tournaments but they have never come close to fulfilling against potential.

We now have a team that do seem capable of actually delivering against potential.

Why is it so hard for people to recognise that there lies the obvious reason why England fans are feeling optimistic?

I agree, nothing wrong with us feeling happy and optimistic. Unfortunately our media go ott all the time, either positive or negative, and that's what others see and remember and think that's what we're actually like.
  • Options
    I'm happy with the undulated happiness surrounding the national team currently. We've played two weak teams and beaten them deservedly and convincingly. What were the players meant to do against Panama? Not score, they dipped their bread and good on them

Belgium is going to be a different proposition but nobody attacks or makes use of a set play like we have so far and I think that will give us a few more goals to celebrate and the millenials to not live in the moment and video everyone going apeshit when we do get a 98th minute winner against Japan in the next round
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

I thought henderson was excellent. I never thought I’d find myself saying that! Like a previous poster, I liked the way he was so pissed off when his volley dropped just wide!
    Lot of talk on how Klopp's coaching has turned Henderson into a far better player, than before.

Has been told that it is not enough for a CM to play it safe and retain possession in their own half, need to move the ball forward quickly, by either hitting space or finding the feet of strikers dropping deep.

Very obvious to me, that he is much more ambitious passer now than before, which is probably why he is ahead of Dier.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I'm happy with the undulated happiness surrounding the national team currently. We've played two weak teams and beaten them deservedly and convincingly. What were the players meant to do against Panama? Not score, they dipped their bread and good on them

Belgium is going to be a different proposition but nobody attacks or makes use of a set play like we have so far and I think that will give us a few more goals to celebrate and the millenials to not live in the moment and video everyone going apeshit when we do get a 98th minute winner against Japan in the next round

Looking forward to our set pieces against the bigger teams

From now on our opponents will be no mugs and will have scouted our set pieces in depth and will be training properly over the coming days to counter them accordingly - At the same time I dont expect Southgate to be naive enough to expect them to continue to work they way we've put the ball in the box so fully expecting them to be varied