Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    Taylors lack of availability earlier in the season because he went to play international football for Montserrat which has a total population of just 5,000 people - yes that's right only five thousand is likely to be the biggest reason for our relegation. Bearing in mind who pays his wages, I thought that was totally ridiculous at the time and should not have been allowed by the club and this latest no play despite under contract adds insult to injury. Not having your main striker available for over 20 games because of 2 selfish decisions might make sense for Taylor but its terrible business for the club and its supporters. 
    I'm pretty sure that it's a FIFA rule that clubs can't refuse to let a player join up for international games as long as those games are part of the scheduled international calendar.

ie. If Monserrat have a game and it's a scheduled international week, we can't refuse. If they play a friendly during another time, we don't have to send him.
  • Options
    Players have done this for many years, but via various methods.  If you were an investment banker and made your employer aware that you were changing bank, you'd be forced out on gardening leave immediately.  There are lots of ways to approach this, and Lyle's been honest.

After the Brentford deal fell through, he and his agent should have taken out an insurance policy for loss of future earnings if injured.  Maybe the policy run out on May 31st?  Who knows.  I can understand his position.  It's not a decision I'd make, but it's not something I'd agree with.

As for Solly again it's not something I'd agree with.  He's club captain.  We signed him to a long term deal after his knee issue.  But I don't know the issues or discussions with Solly.  Maybe the club insisted on him being on less money than Rhoys Wiggins because of injury?  

I can understand why both of them don't want to play.  It's not something I'd criticise them for, nor the same decision I'd make.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Oggy Red said:
    shine166 said:
    Can't blame Taylor tbh, but the fact is without him we are going down. 
    It's not a fact at all, Shine. It's just your opinion. :smile:

Mate. We are going down without Lyle Taylor in the team, let’s not kid ourselves.
    Don't be daft Tom. It's not a foregone conclusion.

I'm sure Lee Bowyer won't agree with you either.

• Options
    Remember the 'not wanting to get injured' is coming out of Bowyer's mouth. 

I'm sure Taylor explaining his reasons will point to the higher risk of dying to Covid and the positive tests that are still happening within the division. 
  • Options
    I do complety get his stance though as we all would do it. 
    I wouldn't.
    Totally agree start what you finish, whilst I can sympathise with his concerns he has shit on the club & supporters that made him a far better player, cowardly lack of backbone mentality.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    Players have done this for many years, but via various methods.  If you were an investment banker and made your employer aware that you were changing bank, you'd be forced out on gardening leave immediately.  There are lots of ways to approach this, and Lyle's been honest.

After the Brentford deal fell through, he and his agent should have taken out an insurance policy for loss of future earnings if injured.  Maybe the policy run out on May 31st?  Who knows.  I can understand his position.  It's not a decision I'd make, but it's not something I'd agree with.

As for Solly again it's not something I'd agree with.  He's club captain.  We signed him to a long term deal after his knee issue.  But I don't know the issues or discussions with Solly.  Maybe the club insisted on him being on less money than Rhoys Wiggins because of injury?  

I can understand why both of them don't want to play.  It's not something I'd criticise them for, nor the same decision I'd make.

Garden leave has nothing to do with this - 'put Taylor on garden leave because he might tell his new club our secrets of how to play football'!

He could have said 'I'm injured' and SOME would have accused him of swinging the lead and being unprofessional. By opening his mouth and being 'honest' he has removed all doubt about his lack of professionalism.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
     I stated earlier that I thought Lyle was not honourable but in retrospect he is as he is openly saying that he can't give 100% and that is honest. I still think he is wrong and as he is under contract, which he freely signed, he should honour that contract with 100% effort.
    He's so honourable, refusing to work and sticking 2 fingers up to everyone.
  • Options
    I’m wondering if we have the full story here.

For the out of contract period, maybe. Lyle refusing to play for the under contract period just doesn’t sound right to me.

Perhaps I’m giving him too much respect, but I reckon there is more to this, and could potentially be linked to ‘that’ podcast. 
    Didn't think of that... Wouldn't be surprised
  • Options

For the out of contract period, maybe. Lyle refusing to play for the under contract period just doesn’t sound right to me.

Perhaps I’m giving him too much respect, but I reckon there is more to this, and could potentially be linked to ‘that’ podcast. 
    Always two sides to a story - Lyle has just proven that with the Contract from ESI
  • Options

I know I mentioned it earlier, but I think It was odd how that bloke on Facebook mentioned about a court case against him, he was the same bloke who last night said about him not playing. 
  • Options
    Taylors lack of availability earlier in the season because he went to play international football for Montserrat which has a total population of just 5,000 people - yes that's right only five thousand is likely to be the biggest reason for our relegation. Bearing in mind who pays his wages, I thought that was totally ridiculous at the time and should not have been allowed by the club and this latest no play despite under contract adds insult to injury. Not having your main striker available for over 20 games because of 2 selfish decisions might make sense for Taylor but its terrible business for the club and its supporters. 
    What is the minimum population size a country should have before you think its okay for a professional to play for them? 50K? 1 million? Silly comment.
    Its not a silly comment atall - of course the size of country is relevant. If the population of Montserrat was 100, would you think it sensible for Charlton to release him to play for them ? 
    5,000 is too small. 
    There will be hundreds of examples where UK clubs have advised players not to elect to play for these tiny village type population countries. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Key workers going to work everyday, risking their lives for minimal pay, and Taylor won’t even play a few games of football 
    Tired of this comparison in complete honesty. The situations are completely different.
    NO THEY ARE NOT UNLESS YOU COMPARE LYLE TO THE LION N THE JUDY GARLAND FILM. 

Those people died doing their job...Lyle just has to kick a ball and I am sure he would agree with that part.
    Wow, someone’s angry.

So you’re actually confirming that they are entirely different situations then? 

Lyle Taylor is not refusing to play because he can’t be bothered to turn up for work or because he is lazy. It’s because he doesn’t want to risk his next contract which could pay him 4x his current wages. It’s a tactical decision. Not one I agree with for the record. 

The key workers situation doesn’t involve that particular factor whatsoever. 
  • Options
    He will put the future of himself and his family before everything else, and that’s what he is doing. He is only a footballer, and not a great one at that. He is past 30 and has limited time left. We need him, BADLY. But as said, he is only a footballer. He will be forgotten in no time at all. Someone will step up to the plate and become our new hero. Taylor will spend the winter on the bench at somewhere like Preston or Stoke. Good luck to him. Now f### off. I’ve forgotten him already. 
    One more thing - the first time he tries his walk up penalty routine elsewhere he will miss. Mark my words.
  • Options
    What is the minimum population size a country should have before you think its okay for a professional to play for them? 50K? 1 million? Silly comment.
    Its not a silly comment atall - of course the size of country is relevant. If the population of Montserrat was 100, would you think it sensible for Charlton to release him to play for them ? 
    5,000 is too small. 
    There will be hundreds of examples where UK clubs have advised players not to elect to play for these tiny village type population countries. 
    Not how it works though is it.

Can your provide any of these hundreds of examples?

Just because i was born in england, if I was talented enough, it would be fine for me to play for England but it isn't okay for a player who plays for the same club as me to get the honour of representing his country San Marino for example?
  • Options
    Anyone defending someone refusing to play whilst under contract just incase they hurt themselves, seriously need to have a word with themselves.
    I'm not defending him and I believe that he should see it out albeit that fulfilling his obligations would probably only mean him playing a couple more games for us. My comments above are purely to demonstrate that there are many different versions of the "truth".

It is interesting though that we have all focused on Taylor and I would liken it to the Parker effect. By that I mean that most of us have stated that losing Davis or Solly is no great loss - and yet, if we believe all that has been said about his knees, we have consistently given Solly contracts when the vast majority of other clubs would not have touched him for the very reason he doesn't want to play for us now. Namely injury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's simple to me. Play until June 30th and then say "sorry, I'm moving on and don't want to risk injury" - I'll be disappointed but totally understand his point of view. 

Say "Sorry, I'm not playing any more even though I'm contracted to until June 30th because I don't want to get injured" - tough tittie, what a dick. If this had happened for the last 9 games of a regular season there would be no question of it being in breach of contract. I don't see how this is any different given his reasons. 

Always liked him, but this isn't on. Also Solly too, unless there's more we don't know about his situation, another poor decision. 
    Spot on.
  • Options

I know I mentioned it earlier, but I think It was odd how that bloke on Facebook mentioned about a court case against him, he was the same bloke who last night said about him not playing. 
    The court case stuff sounds like utter bollocks tbh. 
  • Options
    I’m not really blaming Taylor for not wanting to get injured and ruining his chances of a big payday that undoubtedly he has already agreed. On the other hand he can’t blame the fans for being slightly pissed off with him for refusing to play and help us out of a very tight spot. You go Lyle. Don’t come back.
  • Options
    Taylor happy to take his wages last 3 months, as far as I am concerned no better than Mouthall unless he gives it back!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The court case stuff sounds like utter bollocks tbh. 
    If its over the comments he said on the podcast (cant think it being anything else) then that has to be one of the quickest court cases setup

Especially with everything going on, i.e. are the Courts even in operation at the moment?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    My first thought when I heard this was I can't blame him. He hasn't been treated well. You would expect a club being run by anybody who knows even a little bit about football and players that you keep you best players happy. I suppose that lets us out. We still have Bowyer and if anybody can keep us up, he can though.

And the reality is, players that don't know if their wages are going to be paid until the last minute and are out of contract in a few weeks have probably lined up their next club and if so will be under instructions not to risk injury.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    When I watched his interview may 23rd clearly see then he was not keen on playing -
  • Options
    Not surprised at all
    Heard Lyle numerous times explain how this is just a Job to him. He's not even a real lover of football I believe. Just a means to make money that he happens to be good at.

So this comes as no shock at all. He doesn't care much for the tribalism of football and he certainly never had any intentions of showing loyalty. And that goes for any of the club's he's been at.

This comes down to employer and employee contractual agreements. The kind that most of us work by. And if any part of it states he doesn't have to play then he most definitely won't.

So long Lyle