Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I’m wondering if we have the full story here.

For the out of contract period, maybe. Lyle refusing to play for the under contract period just doesn’t sound right to me.

Perhaps I’m giving him too much respect, but I reckon there is more to this, and could potentially be linked to ‘that’ podcast. 
    Well bearing in mind supporter Mark Rogers said he's being taken to court, that is an obvious assumption.
  • Options
    Oh dear....

The weight on this blokes shoulders.

Last week...he was a highly intelligent hero potential Charlton legend. Should be a football pundit when he retires.

Now, he's the worst of the worst and it's now a negative spin in regards to his praises.

It's what happens when you are a good player and you put the effort in on the field of play. Everything you say or do is taken over extra seriously x 10.

He is a tad dramatic...but to put a positive spin on his persona, I'd say he is openly honest and he speaks out.

Him and Bow probably have a bit of a genuine love hate relationship.

Taylor is a mixed bag. Just like any other person.

He is not a really nice selfless bloke and he is not the devil. He's just a person.

I think he has made some poor judgement here and I've lost a bit of respect for him, as others will now feel collectively but it's as simple as that.

He wants to get away from the club. 

We need to think ahead. Just let him go and then it's done and can be forgotten about.

He's part of this awful era of extreme crappy memories.

Which has all been an absolute load of garbage...apart from the 2019 playoffs.

I will say this in the polite way. Goodbye Taylor. F*ck off and good luck with the future. 

Now let's never mention your name ever again.

The end
  • Options
    You listen to Taylor’s interview you can clearly hear why he does not want to play - the league should be cancelled - null and void - and restarted next year - tough on Leeds and WBA but what’s more important ??  - 
  • Options
    Sacking and suing a player during a worldwide pandemic isn't a good look. 

I feel like Taylor knows that Charlton can't do anything without coming off as the bad side. So he can do what he likes. 

It sucks and we're probably relegated, but he's making a decision he feels benefits him the most. 
    Funny 

Matt Southall made decisions he felt would benefit him the most too.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I’m wondering if we have the full story here.

For the out of contract period, maybe. Lyle refusing to play for the under contract period just doesn’t sound right to me.

Perhaps I’m giving him too much respect, but I reckon there is more to this, and could potentially be linked to ‘that’ podcast. 
    I know I mentioned it earlier, but I think It was odd how that bloke on Facebook mentioned about a court case against him, he was the same bloke who last night said about him not playing. 
    The court case stuff sounds like utter bollocks tbh. 
    If its over the comments he said on the podcast (cant think it being anything else) then that has to be one of the quickest court cases setup

Especially with everything going on, i.e. are the Courts even in operation at the moment?
    If it is something along those lines then I’m surprised he’s training - surely he would just be persona non grata (is that a word?!). 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    shine166 said:
    Can't blame Taylor tbh, but the fact is without him we are going down. 
    Hopefully the players don’t have that attitude. As good as he is we won games without him.
    Oh......did we now 🥴
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    shine166 said:
    Can't blame Taylor tbh, but the fact is without him we are going down. 
    Hopefully the players don’t have that attitude. As good as he is we won games without him.
    Oh......did we now 🥴
    Not bloody many! 
  • Options
    Bitter sweet this one, Roland didn't make any money out of a sale for one and I didn't expect him to play for us after January. Does it mean we are down, no, what other clubs have lost key players ? I think he is doing the right thing as we would never have got a committed performance from him. Thanks for helping us up Lyle, best of luck but we need commitment from every player who puts on the shirt. 
  • Options
    My first thought when I heard this was I can't blame him. He hasn't been treated well. You would expect a club being run by anybody who knows even a little bit about football and players that you keep you best players happy. I suppose that lets us out. We still have Bowyer and if anybody can keep us up, he can though.

And the reality is, players that don't know if their wages are going to be paid until the last minute and are out of contract in a few weeks have probably lined up their next club and if so will be under instructions not to risk injury.
    Maybe he shouldn’t have buggered off to play for Monserrat.

sorry if others have already said this - don’t have time to read the posts.
  • Options
    The one thing I will say is that Lee Bowyer comes out of this whole sorry saga very well indeed. He’s never really been my cup of cocoa but he has shown levels of integrity, spirit, loyalty and leadership throughout the last 18 months that I would not have credited the younger version of himself with at all. This morning’s interview saw him paint the Lyle situation as an unfortunate and unpleasant bump in the road. But that is all it is. He, and we, have priorities now so let’s get on. He has a squad of players to motivate and prepare that is two down in numbers from yesterday (I’m treating Davis as an irrelevance) and that is what it is now all about. Fair play Lee. I didn’t think you would have it in you but I’m delighted to eat humble pie. 
  • Options
    I've lost all respect for him as well. I have supported us for almost 60 years & he was definitely in my top 10 favourite players, not just for his goalscoring but also for his fantastic work rate. He should play while under contract then he could have left with almost everyone's blessing.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Not going to over the top but very disappointing. He should at least play to the end of his contract ie the games up to and including the 30th of June. In any profession you give your best to the end no matter what the next job and how attractive it is. You can get injured at anytime could have happened in April or March. Respect the contract.
    Respect is a two way street.

Taylor could have said that he had a back injury but didn't. Given the amount of abuse as a result of the Club suggesting that he had refused to sign an improved contract I'm not all together surprised by his stance.

Southall turned fans against him and Bowyer (who let us not forget happily signed a new contract) did not tell us the actual situation either with regards to Taylor or the embargo.

Don't pay him from the time he stops playing for us. They might well be only one or two games.
    When did fans turn against Lyle? A very small number of users on twitter maybe mouthed off but dont think that can be considered a true reflection of Charlton fans feelings towards Lyle. 
    Really? Below are just some of the comments on this thread alone - imagine what was being said about him on some of our other forums!

How would any of us feel reading this when we know the truth is totally different?

(1) Bit bored of it all now, he will be offered a new contract ( a better offer than Roland’s ) and he may or may not accept if he doesn’t then may aswell go now so we can get a bit of coin and better than having a want away player, he isn’t proven at this level due to injuries - I don’t doubt that he is a good player but he isn’t proving so would be a big punt by any of the other championship clubs. 

(2) You'd think Taylor could at least RESPOND to the contract offer. That's pretty disrespectful IMO.

(3) If this is the case we need to draw a line and move on quick, get him out and get someone in, a demotivated Taylor is no good in a relegation battle. 

(4) Big fan of that. Wanted us to keep Taylor but he’s clearly got no interest in staying with the club

(5) Do think it's pretty poor that he did not at least respond to the contract offer. 

(6) Maybe this is all part of the negotiation - we need things sorted ASAP, taylor probably knows the closer to transfer deadline we get, the higher the offers may be - we can’t let it drag on that’s for sure without a plan b

Read somewhere yesterday that the Brentford manager is happy with the strikers hes got including the new lad so is probably not going to sign another one. Reckon Lyles off to Rangers,more money,still a big fish and european football.

(6) Honestly if it is as it seems and Lyle is dicking about and leaving the club in the dark then I am a fan of them removing the offer. No player bigger than the club and all that. 

(7) Oh he’s well out of order not responding to their offer fuck him 

(8) oh he has responded , well he’s a greedy sod not taking our offer and looking elsewhere fuck him 

(9) I was told weeks ago that Lyle was offered 16k per week on a take it or leave it offer.

(10) Said after the Swansea game that he wasjt injured. Did sod all during that first 45 mins & then is replaced due to a "thigh injury". Now unavailable for the next 2-3 weeks so "cant" play for us. You can bet your bottom dollar he will be fit though for whoever he signs for....(but then who is going to sign a player who is currently injured & struggled to play 90 mins when he was back from his recent injury.......perhaps a club who knows it's all baloney).

(11) God job Lyle's off twitter atm. Expect to see that turned back on again once he's left.

(12) Fuck him, wanker.

(13) End of the day you cant have one player on 30k a week and everyone else on 6k 

(14) Taylor is 29. His agent thinks he can get more than we are offering.

(15) The situation is not at all similar to Yann, who was on a contract, did not want to leave, and, frankly, iI believe ESI will spend any money received it a target that Bowyer choses.

(16) This is about Lyle getting to the Prem, so even if we match an offer from a Leeds or Brentford, then he is going to leave.

(17) The situation kind of sums up modern day football really - can't begrudge him a big payday when we've had fantastic value from him, but equally a real shame when there is no loyalty to the coaches at CAFC who've brought the best out of him.

(18) Well, it's a similar "lack of loyalty" that took him from Wimbledon to us, so we just have to accept this is how football is...

(19) Oh and anyone not a 15 year old girl who pays any mind to what footballers or others say on twitter needs to have a long hard look at themselves:-)

(20) I would dearly love to be proved wrong.....but don't be surprised to see him in the starting line up in a couple weeks for his new club without a care in the world (and no injury)

(21) Taylor rejects offer = Greedy

Taylor accepts offer = ESI really moving us forwards towards the PL

(22) A statement of intent by the new owners,they will not be messed about. no doubt Taylor would have loved the option of signing the new deal if he fails to get any better offers,that option is now removed.I personally think that he will struggle to match the alleged deal we have offered due to his recent injury problems and his age,still his agent knows best.Fully support the new owners on this. 

(23) Will only start to worry if it transpires that ESI are a lot of happy, welcoming types with no budget for Gallen and Bowyer to play with, but no reason to suspect that, quite the contrary

(24) Player doesn’t want to be here - obvs going to play for a bigger club than Charlton - his choice, thanks for the goals you aren’t a “hero” and best of luck. 

(25) Would imagine Bowyer and Gallen would be in ESI's ear to offer everything to Lyle. The offer won't have been retracted without them knowing so or probably having some say in it, let's just see what happens.

(26) I heard the same. 

Stormed out & went home. 

(27) Lyles tantrum for not getting his life changing move to Brentford and subsequent lack of effort in our early season matches prove he’s a waste of time , move him on 

(28) It already seems that we're going to see a more business-like approach to running the club. 

To be honest I would not say all them comments suggest the person who posted it has turned against lyle. The last one for example (28) It already seems that we're going to see a more business-like approach to running the club. Cant see that would suggest that poster has turned against Lyle. It says at the time they felt we would see a more businesslike approach to running the club.  

I bet if i went back through this whole thread If I could be bothered I would find just as many if not more supporting Lyle saying things like i would not begrudge him a move at his age etc. 

The fans have never turned against Lyle, some maybe but the fanbase as a whole I don't think you can say that. I think Lyle has always had more support and backing than most players over the last couple years within the ground when warming up etc. 

Its like saying Charlton fans wanted Curbs gone as he had taken as as far as he could. Yes again a minority said this and it is assumed and believed the majority did. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I feel like Taylor knows that Charlton can't do anything without coming off as the bad side. So he can do what he likes. 

It sucks and we're probably relegated, but he's making a decision he feels benefits him the most. 
    Funny 

Southall wasn't being 'forced' to play football during a worldwide pandemic. 

I'm surprised more footballers aren't coming out and telling the EFL to get stuffed. They're being asked to risk their lives to 'improve morale' for the population. Treated like commodities and not people. 
    Obviously you haven't read anything on this thread.

Taylor hasn't refused to play because of Covid, he's refusing to play because he doesn't want to get injured.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Funny 

I'm surprised more footballers aren't coming out and telling the EFL to get stuffed. They're being asked to risk their lives to 'improve morale' for the population. Treated like commodities and not people. 
    Yeah, I fully understand players who feel they should not play, because of the Covid-19 and risk to family members.

But a professional refusing to play during the remainder of his contract, in order to 'protect' himself against any possible injury because he wants to sign a lucrative new contract at another club - is surely in breach of contract?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Funny 

He's not being forced to play. 

He's made a decision not to play for reasons unrelated to the pandemic. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but him refusing to play could have Something to do with Middlesbrough.

Rumours are that they are favourites to sign him and them also being in the relegation dogfight , someone may have had a word with him to refuse to play giving them a much better chance of staying up if we don't have our best striker?

It's a conspiracy theory but it would't surprise me. 
  • Options
    I wish he'd play the ones in June, but if he doesn't play, he won't get paid and that's his choice really isn't it?

I don't think it paints him in a great light, but I also think the financial implications are huge for him so most sensible people will understand his motive.
  • Options
    All these rumours are according to Bowyer. A man that would benefit from the fan pressure to get Taylor to play out the remainder of his contract. 

I'll wait until Taylor himself speaks and explains his reasoning. 
  • Options
    Didn't know Buck Rogers was Charlton
  • Options
    Yes he should have got a better contract and I don't blame him for wanting to move on for more money, but let's not forget, that Taylor has been earning in his 2 years with us massively more than I would imagine 99.9% of us on this board do or even will, and in real terms a lot more than the Leaburns and Nelsons ever did, with the wage inflation in football.

It does irritate me when players like Tyrone Mings talk about how money is driving  the return of football as if the players are victims in all this, like minimum wage Amazon warehouse staff being forced to work in dangerous conditions so that Bezos can make more billions, when THEY are the main beneficiaries of the TV money in football. Their salaries and lifestyle are directly because of it, and with that comes responsibilities back to the league and the clubs